Epsilon Wing 2 (Border Zone System) (SM1)
|Epsilon Wing 2|
|Other Friendly Ships||2 Drayman at Nav 1|
|Previous||Epsilon Wing (Border Zone System) (SM1)|
Delta Wing (Midgard System)
Iota Wing (Retreating from Kilrathi Territory)
The Memoirs of Lieutenant Colonel Carl T. LaFong
When the Tiger's Claw jumped into the Goddard System, its ultimate mission was still unknown. When the decision was made to follow the enemy into Kilrathi space, a supply convoy was sent to the carrier. After all, once we hit enemy space we would be alone.
The Sleipnir Convoy, located at Nav 1, was heading toward Nav 2, where it would jump out of the system. Angel and I were ordered to escort the convoy and guard it until the jump.
1. Two Krant attack at 78,000 kilometers from Nav 1.
2. Mine field discovered 61,000 kilometers from Nav 1.
3. Three Jalthi attack when 19,000 kilometers from Nav 1.
4. Rendezvous with convoy at Nav 1.
5. Go around mines found 12,000 kilometers before Nav 2.
6. Wait for Drayman jump at Nav 2.
7. Three Gratha and two Krant attack 33,000 kilometers from the carrier.
The Jalthi who attacked near Nav 1 were the greatest challenge. They carry the heaviest firepower, armor and shields in the enemy fleet.
Two Jalthi attacked when we were 19,000 km from Nav 1, and we used our speed and maneuverability to avoid their initial strike. We attacked separate targets. I used a dumb-fire to force the Jalthi into a defensive maneuver, then rushed in close to bring down the shields with the guns. A Javelin took him out from the rear. Hunter handled the second Jalthi and that allowed us to team up and strike the third. If we hadn't taken him out, the Draymns would have been in jeopardy when we met them at Nav 1.
Talk to Shotglass
- Hey, Maverick. Glad you made it back in.
- You might want to go talk to Paladin and Knight.
- I think they're both a little on the edge.
- Let me know if you hear anything else about Goddard, okay?
Talk to Knight
- Good morning, Maverick.
- I don't know about you, but I'm starting to get worried about this affair.
- You realize we're heading blind as a bat into uncharted enemy space?
- Going after a Kilrathi super-weapon we know nothing about?
- James Taggart
- That's right, Major. Joe here is going to be our morale officer from now on.
- Joseph Khomalo
- No, thanks... I'd rather fight the Kilrathi
- Let me tell you some of my own dark thoughts, kid.
- I've been watching Maniac. He says he's been having nightmares...
- ...and I've seen his hands shaking every time he climbs into the cockpit.
- I think Todd's losing it. He's always been on the edge, but this looks real bad.
- I'd keep a close eye on him, if he was my wingman.
- Otherwise, that crazy laugh of his might be the last thing you hear.
Talk to Paladin
- Sit yourself down, lad, an' have a drink. There's a question that's been troublin' me---
- The cats hae shown nae mercy to our people. But if we win this war, wha' will we do to them?
- Joseph Khomalo
- What do you mean, James?
- James Taggart
- Genocide, lad. If we dinna destroy them completely, this war may never end.
- An' if we do kill them all, how are we different from them?
- If we lose this war, I dinna care what happens, 'cause I won't be alive to see it---
- ...But what if we win?
- At the moment, we're cruising deeper into Kilrathi space.
- And we just received a coded, tight-beam message from the High Command.
- They're sending a convoy to rendezvous with us. But these ships will appear back at the border...
- ...right where we had our last scrap with the furballs.
- So I'm sending wings to retrieve it.
- You'll return to that jump-point, destroying any Kilrathi that you encounter.
- At designated jump-points, you'll rendezvous with the Sleipnir convoy...
- ...Drayman-class 'sports carrying a company of marines each.
- As some of you may know, the Sleipner carries the Reavers...
- ... a division of elite marine units from the Scandinavian nations of Earth.
- We need all the help we can get out here, people. Don't screw up.
- Each wing will escort their convoy to a jump point in Kilrathi territory.
- After the Reavers jump, then return to Tiger's Claw.
- If we're lucky, this mission will bring us an additional benefit.
- The Kilrathi might think that this is only an extensive border attack---
- ---and not realize that we're heading deep into their space.
- Okay, individual wing assignments.
He gives the orders for each wing, then...
- Epsilon Wing is Maverick and Angel.
- You'll fly a straight course to the rendezvous point.
- If you're jumped by any Kilrathi, don't hesitate to destroy them.
- Rendezvous with your convoy at Nav One.
- Escort them back to Nav 2, just this side of the hot zone.
- When they jump clear, break off and return home.
- The Reavers have their own orders. They're on a 'secret mission' as well.
- If they're successful, we'll rendezvous with them later.