Eddieb has released version 1.5 of the Flight Commander engine. Get it here (50 megs). The most notable improvements for players are:
- Players can control turrets on their fighters, including a new turret hud.
- Mouse support
- Captions support
- Conversations with characters between missions
- Moving doors/movies and sound effects in the gameflow
- Multiple comms/insults for more variety
- Nav points have names
The first screenshot shows the new turret targeting HUD. Flight Commander comes with a graphical mission editor and uses standard formats for graphics and sound. If you're looking to use the engine to create your own game, version 1.5 offers these new features:
- Save variables between missions
- 6 new scripting commands available during combat.
- Fully customize all the music easily
- Fully customizeable, scriptable briefings. Add voice actors, move ships, adjust timing.
- Navs on briefings can have labels.
- A new briefing creation tutorial.
- 27 new scripting commands are available for briefing editing
- Fully scriptable, add conversation with characters, multiple rooms
- play custom movies whenever you want
- change movies based on the outcome of the mission
- Move the briefing camera whever you want.
- 6 scripting commands.
- Custom fonts colors in the gameflow
Watch the French Resistance Achieve Victory Against the Kilrathi
DocteurJ is back with another extensive stream and commentary on the Wing Commander series. In this episode, he's flying the final mission of Wing Commander 3 to cap off his summertime playthrough of the game. As you're already aware if you skipped ahead and pressed play, DocteurJ is helping make sure Wing Commander fandom lives on in the French gaming community. (2018-11-16)
Japanese Advertisements Highlight Intriguing Ports
Here's a couple of really cool Japanese advertisements that LOAF recently came across. As is common in the country, they're chock full of text and liberal with the exclamation marks. The first is a small embedded ad for the Mega CD port of Wing Commander 1, which was the only version that got full speech as it was transferred to the disc-based format. (2018-11-15)
Art Portfolio One Step Closer to Production
Mike Winterbauer reports that he's finished putting together the dedication page in his Wing Commander Art Portfolio with all of the project backers who pledged at the appropriate $25+ Book threshold. For a limited time between now and when the material soon goes to print, he's put out a call for anyone who missed the end of the campaign and wanted to upgrade to be included. If so, send Mike a message. (2018-11-14)
Flying Pancake Complements Two-for-One Salthi
DefianceIndustries has moved over to Kilrathi ships as he fills out his WC1 fleet, and the first two fliers are the Dralthi and Salthi. We've seen a hundred Dralthi variants over the years, and they just never get old. This one is as gorgeous as we've ever seen, so it's just a treat. (2018-11-13)
Check Out the Original Secret Missions
Here's a really cool find that LOAF recently came across. From the outside, it might look like a nifty WC1 Special Edition autographed by Chris Roberts, but it's what's inside that's pretty rare! The set was originally purchased directly from Origin in 1990, and the included Secret Missions were special mailed in a WC branded envelope instead of the standard slim black box. (2018-11-12)