Eddieb has released version 1.5 of the Flight Commander engine. Get it here (50 megs). The most notable improvements for players are:
- Players can control turrets on their fighters, including a new turret hud.
- Mouse support
- Captions support
- Conversations with characters between missions
- Moving doors/movies and sound effects in the gameflow
- Multiple comms/insults for more variety
- Nav points have names
The first screenshot shows the new turret targeting HUD. Flight Commander comes with a graphical mission editor and uses standard formats for graphics and sound. If you're looking to use the engine to create your own game, version 1.5 offers these new features:
- Save variables between missions
- 6 new scripting commands available during combat.
- Fully customize all the music easily
- Fully customizeable, scriptable briefings. Add voice actors, move ships, adjust timing.
- Navs on briefings can have labels.
- A new briefing creation tutorial.
- 27 new scripting commands are available for briefing editing
- Fully scriptable, add conversation with characters, multiple rooms
- play custom movies whenever you want
- change movies based on the outcome of the mission
- Move the briefing camera whever you want.
- 6 scripting commands.
- Custom fonts colors in the gameflow
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: Alignment Chart
This is pretty good... (2018-09-20)
Wing Commander Art Portfolio Campaign Announced
Video game artist Mike Winterbauer has shown off the first images of his latest project, a Wing Commander Art Portfolio! Mr. Winterbauer was the person commissioned in 1992 to hand paint the box art for the SNES version of Wing Commander, among many other cool contemporary pieces. (2018-09-19)
Intrepid Enters Spacedock
Spacedock has profiled another Wing Commander vessel! The BWS Intrepid is the star this episode of "Sci-Fi Ships You've Never Heard Of." Daniel, the author, has a huge soft spot for the WC series, and he's especially fond of this one. (2018-09-18)
Sienta la Ciencia y la Ficción
Christian Klein marches ever closer to having a complete set of Wing Commander games translated for Spain. This looks like a pretty thorough job with everything from the box to disc to manuals in Spanish, although no in-game audio has been revamped. The front doesn't have the big Midway flap that opens, but the static front and rearranged rear screenshot collage make it its own unique collectible! (2018-09-17)
Homeworld Mod Locks & Loads
The Homeworld Remastered Mod has gotten another update to more fully implement the fuel & ammunition mechanics that L.I.F. (2018-09-16)