Eddieb has released version 1.5 of the Flight Commander engine. Get it here (50 megs). The most notable improvements for players are:
- Players can control turrets on their fighters, including a new turret hud.
- Mouse support
- Captions support
- Conversations with characters between missions
- Moving doors/movies and sound effects in the gameflow
- Multiple comms/insults for more variety
- Nav points have names
The first screenshot shows the new turret targeting HUD. Flight Commander comes with a graphical mission editor and uses standard formats for graphics and sound. If you're looking to use the engine to create your own game, version 1.5 offers these new features:
CIC Birthday Party prize winners who submitted their addresses should have gotten a confirmation email from us by now. If you haven't seen one, your email probably got caught in a spam filter and you should resend it or drop by IRC. With most of the CIC Staff out adventuring together for the next couple weeks, a number of these packages won't ship until later September. Here's a list of the prizes and winners again.
- Save variables between missions
- 6 new scripting commands available during combat.
- Fully customize all the music easily
- Fully customizeable, scriptable briefings. Add voice actors, move ships, adjust timing.
- Navs on briefings can have labels.
- A new briefing creation tutorial.
- 27 new scripting commands are available for briefing editing
- Fully scriptable, add conversation with characters, multiple rooms
- play custom movies whenever you want
- change movies based on the outcome of the mission
- Move the briefing camera whever you want.
- 6 scripting commands.
- Custom fonts colors in the gameflow
- CIC Glass - Wedge, Sycrus
- CIC Playing Cards - Ironduke, Wedge
- CIC Polo Shirt (submit size) - TheFraix
- TCS Eisen T-Shirt (submit size) - Justice, Paragon, Priest
- TCS Eisen Hat - Taser, Wedge, Powell99
- Confed Replica Patch - Blitz, ventsetti, HCl
- WC2 Game - BobMcDob, Justice
- WC4 DVD - LeHah, Vinman
- WC CCG Pack - ZFGokuSSJ1
- WC Novel (submit preferences) - Jetlag, matthew954
- WC Movie DVD - Frogzilla
- WC Movie Action Figures (submit preferences) - No Regret, Blonde
- WC Movie Poster - Shades
- WC Movie Longsleeve T - Jetlag
- XBox Live 1 Year Subscription - Jetlag
- XBox Live 1600 Point Cards - Justice, Jetlag
- XBox Smack Talk Device - Dundradal
- Nasa Sticker Set (donated by EddieB) - Dyret
- Star*Soldier Print - Mekt-Hakkikt, Vinman, AD, Shades
Arena Xbox Contest Prizes
- XBox 360 Elite - NinjaLA
- CIC Polo, Playing Card, Glass & Star*Soldier - IronDuke
- TCS Eisen Hat & Star*Soldier - Blitz
- WCM Soundtrack & Star*Soldier - Pedro
- CIC Glass & Star*Soldier - SabreAce
- Star*Soldier - Paragon
- Star*Soldier - matthew954
WCSO Model Upgrade Pack Adds Comm Relay Station
DefianceIndustries has completed the first large scale base for the Secret Ops Model Upgrade Pack. This is a cool design, and the tiny little flight deck is a nice touch. In addition to making it much more detailed and gorgeous to look at, he's also significantly amped up the destroyability. (2018-06-18)
Happy Father's Day
Many countries celebrate Father's Day today, and we know a lot of Wing Commander fans have recently become dads out there. My little one just turned 16 months old, and I'm happy to that see she grabs a controller and starts pushing buttons whenever she gets a chance.The CIC is more of a news site than a blog, but it's also a community hub more than anything, and it feels right to share this personal story with the community. (2018-06-17)
The Attack Begins... Soon
There's tons of great Wing Commander fan projects out there, but it's not every day that we get a teaser for a new one. FekLeyrTarg has had a hand in quite a few different endeavors over the years, and his latest will be a new short fan film. Projects like these have been proposed a number of times over the years, but we haven't seen very many come to fruition. (2018-06-16)
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: Surprised Koala
Too soon? (2018-06-16)
Wing Commander's Better than Super Mario Brothers
Who knew IMDB made little video shorts? They've just posted a clip to celebrate the recent 25th birthday of the Super Mario Brothers movie. It talks a bit about why the film was the way it was and how it was critically panned. (2018-06-15)