The website for Roberts Space Industries came to life today. The major headline is that Chris Roberts' new project, having been in the works for around a year, is set to be revealed this October 10th! As many commentators have pointed out, this happens to coincide with the Game Developer Conference in Austin. Right now, it's not known if this will be a new title in either the Wing Commander or Freelancer franchises, or a spiritual successor. Be sure to sign up and explore the RSI website for yourself, and check back throughout the day for updates and analysis. In case you missed it, we also ran a piece on Chris Roberts' new venture yesterday.
Until the project is revealed, the website aims to bring together fans of Wing Commander, Privateer, Starlancer and Freelancer. It has the following sections:
- Special welcome message from Chris Roberts!
- Bits of concept art and renders all around the site! (also collected below)
- Comm-link: Primary method of RSI staff to reach out to fans.
- Forums: Discuss previous (Origin / Digital Anvil) Roberts titles and speculate about the new game.
- Time Capsule 2075: First fiction teaser!
- RSI Museum: Meet the team behind the Wing Commander and Freelancer games. Currently has a Chris Roberts bio.
- Golden ticket: Sign up now to receive a Golden Ticket. Promises to let you participate during the development phase. No details right now. What's interesting is that it mentions a 24-month development cycle.
- Polls: The current poll wants to know if you like to see cockpits in your space sims. Vote now!
- The secret code is 42, a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
These sections are currently unavailable:
- Engineering: insights from the dev team
- Possibly a overall game description section
- The Holo-viewer: "attend a screening of the latest space epic" - possible trailer section?
- Galactapedia: in-universe information?