CMDBob has been building artsy Wing Commander models for years, but they've mostly just been eye candy. With quite a fleet under his belt, Bob recently set out to do more with his ships. The result is a proto-mod that features a wide range of classic WC1 craft flying around in the FS2 engine. There are only a couple test missions at the moment, but a brief campaign will likely be built soon. Wingnuts who want to try it out now can find instructions and download links here!
What You'll Need
What do I do?
- A decent enough computer. If it runs Saga well enough, then this should run well enough too.
- A copy of Freespace 2 (sorry guys, but I've been developing it off the base game, as it's got more useful features than the branch Saga use. Features that will be used in the future (like real time cockpit displays, for that true WC experience) It's cheap enough off GoG anyway, I suppose.
- Freespace Open. I use this set of executables. It's got nice shadows and lighting effects. But you can use stock 3.16.6 if you want. A good launcher program for FS2 is handy too.
Unzip the compressed folder into your FS2 folder. It should leave a WCMod folder. Once you've got that, start the launcher up, set this as the mod, and you should be good to go.
It's not quite the best balanced (but the majority of the raw numbers are from the WCPedia, and tweaked to fit).
- The four classic WC1 Terran Fighters
- Rapier II
- The Drayman Transport (and container)
- The Exeter class destroyer
- The WC2 Rapier II
- Four classic Kilrathi fighters
- Dralthi Mk2
- A ship of my own, a light strike bomber variant of the Raptor, the Raptor "Harrier".
- Missile models for all the Confederation ◦Dart, Javelin, Spiculum, Pilum, Lance and Porcupine
- A new, homespun missile: the Flechette rocket pod (a massed pod of superlight dumbfire rockets, good against subsystems)
- Two small test missions. (I'll probably make a small 3 mission campaign that shows off everything in the very near future)