Ser Lin Kuei Ominae has further researched Privateer 2 and discovered it's relatively easy to switch between regional versions. For his testing, a German copy was converted into English, but this should also apply for the French edition. Simply copying a number of key files into the game's installation folder (typically C:\Dark) will drive one language to another. Here's a couple of shots that highlight some interesting comparisons, and details of the conversion process are beneath that.
I managed to convert my German P2D into an English one (thanks Mincemeat for the files) and noticed some small differences:
criticalmass suggests NHK stands for "Netzwerk für Handel & Kommunikation."
- The shortcut NHK instead of CCN in the booth welcome screen. I still don't know for what the 3 letters NHK could stand for as the text below actually gives the shortcut KKN which is also a quite accurate translation from the english text
- A different background in the P.A.D. with a quite simple done removal of the smaller "Personal Access Directory" text
- The small added suffix "verstorben" (eng "deceased") in the german Larn Regis and Douglas Pemtur entries as well as the missing title "Nurse" ("Pfleger") in the german Douglas Pemtur entry
- The different name of the papogod clan which is called papago in german. However even the english one isn't consistent as it is called papagod in the text and papogod in the headline. I wonder what's actually the correct name of this clan.
For those who are interested, the following files are needed to convert the game into a different language:
- Booth.iff - text in the booth like the welcome screen
- Dani.big - the audio of the ships computer voiced by Dani Behr
- Gameflow.iff - text that is displayed in menus (e.g. load game), pad (name of the transits, e.g "customs", "You Are Here"), planetary interior (e.g "exit to transit", "enter booth"), text between fmv's (the text of the 2 plot-choices), text of the various commodities, weapons, ships, systems, missiles, Bulletin board text "Reward"/"Tons"/"Hire
- Isets.iff - the audio that Lev Arris speaks between the FMV when the player has to make a plot-choice
- Mission*.iff (0-9,m,r) - the text of the missions and diary entries
- Pad.iff - the text on the P.A.D. like the "exit" button and the background images.
- Speech.big - the voices of the different pilots
P.S.: it would be cool if someone with a French (or other language) version could post the pictures here too.
Looking Back at Confed's Space Force
There's been a lot of talk about the "space force" in the news lately, so we took a look back at the origins of the Terran Confederation Space Force. Where do they come from? Wing Commander's Space Force is a retcon! (2018-06-24)
Flat Universe Event Pushed Out
Pilots who were looking to try their luck in this weekend's Flat Universe tournament will have to wait a little longer as they work through some lingering issues. The Maslas Brothers have pushed the competition out to next weekend to ensure they have a more stable build for everyone. While you're waiting, check out the Destiny's Way in-universe magazine for a glimpse into the backstory behind the game. (2018-06-23)
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: Sexy Cat
Flat Universe Tournament Fast Approaching
The final countdown starts now for this weekend's big Wing Commander Flat Universe tournament. It happens at 16:00 UTC June 23-24, and interested players should register by Friday. There are some very cool multiplayer modes that will be deployed in the new version of the game and even a spectator mode. (2018-06-21)
Spanish Special Operations are Extra Special
After seeing the Spanish WC2 that Christian Klein recently acquired, the next natural question was whether DROSoft had also localized the Special Operations. The answer is yes, and it comes in an awesome double pack just like the Spanish Secret Missions! Both are in the same box with the game summaries translated side-by-side on the rear of the packaging. (2018-06-20)