Ser Lin Kuei Ominae has further researched Privateer 2 and discovered it's relatively easy to switch between regional versions. For his testing, a German copy was converted into English, but this should also apply for the French edition. Simply copying a number of key files into the game's installation folder (typically C:\Dark) will drive one language to another. Here's a couple of shots that highlight some interesting comparisons, and details of the conversion process are beneath that.
I managed to convert my German P2D into an English one (thanks Mincemeat for the files) and noticed some small differences:
criticalmass suggests NHK stands for "Netzwerk für Handel & Kommunikation."
- The shortcut NHK instead of CCN in the booth welcome screen. I still don't know for what the 3 letters NHK could stand for as the text below actually gives the shortcut KKN which is also a quite accurate translation from the english text
- A different background in the P.A.D. with a quite simple done removal of the smaller "Personal Access Directory" text
- The small added suffix "verstorben" (eng "deceased") in the german Larn Regis and Douglas Pemtur entries as well as the missing title "Nurse" ("Pfleger") in the german Douglas Pemtur entry
- The different name of the papogod clan which is called papago in german. However even the english one isn't consistent as it is called papagod in the text and papogod in the headline. I wonder what's actually the correct name of this clan.
For those who are interested, the following files are needed to convert the game into a different language:
- Booth.iff - text in the booth like the welcome screen
- Dani.big - the audio of the ships computer voiced by Dani Behr
- Gameflow.iff - text that is displayed in menus (e.g. load game), pad (name of the transits, e.g "customs", "You Are Here"), planetary interior (e.g "exit to transit", "enter booth"), text between fmv's (the text of the 2 plot-choices), text of the various commodities, weapons, ships, systems, missiles, Bulletin board text "Reward"/"Tons"/"Hire
- Isets.iff - the audio that Lev Arris speaks between the FMV when the player has to make a plot-choice
- Mission*.iff (0-9,m,r) - the text of the missions and diary entries
- Pad.iff - the text on the P.A.D. like the "exit" button and the background images.
- Speech.big - the voices of the different pilots
P.S.: it would be cool if someone with a French (or other language) version could post the pictures here too.
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: American Chopper
Who knew the Admiral was so ripped? (2018-07-15)
Wing Commander Jazz Album Marches On
Following up on his recent release of the jazz and bar music digital recordings, veteran video game composer George Oldziey has sent out three more updates to his backers. George has exported the sheet music for several tracks from volume 2 of the orchestral project to video format. You can follow the score as the music notation is played back through the Sibelious sound fonts. (2018-07-14)
Origin Veteran's Postmortems Book Now Available on Paperback
Former Origin veteran Raph Koster recently published a new book titled Postmortems: Selected Essays Volume One. Available first in digital formats, you can now also get the hefty, 702 page paperback edition. Mr. (2018-07-13)
Decipher SciFi Discusses Wing Commander
Back in 2016, the Decipher SciFi podcast devoted an entire episode to the Wing Commander movie. The show starts off with an overview of the Wing Commander computer game series with a focus on Wing Commander 3 as a revolutionary interactive movie and the ever increasing production values and development budget up to Wing Commander 4. The show runners are all familiar with the franchise, having played the originals back in the 1990s on DOS PC or Amiga, and they even went to see the film when it was playing in theaters. (2018-07-12)
PC Zone Reviews Wing Commander: Armada
While flipping through the October 1994 issue of British gaming magazine PC Zone, noted retro gamer Pix spotted a vintage Armada review. The reviewer praises the graphics (a low resolution preview of the still upcoming Wing Commander 3) and was especially impressed with the hybrid turn-based/split-screen multiplayer feature, in which two players can go head-to-head on a single computer. The user friendliness of the menu system for setting up modem or netBIOS sessions also received a nod of approval. (2018-07-11)