In addition to all the scholarly discussion, fans will also be taking advantage of the crowd in #Wingnut to set up some Wing Commander Armada games. wcnut helped put together these instructions for people who've never played Armada online. Details on how to get Armada running on modern computers are also available in the CIC's Tech Support section.
Stop by #Wingnut if you have any questions or would like to find a competitor to play against!
That's it, start dosbox!
- Download and install DOSBox 0.72 (wcnut recommends the D-Fend front end to make configuration easier)
- Install Armada in a folder (wcnut recommends installing Joystick as Thrusmaster to minimize issues)
- To play on the internet, download netbios_binary.zip, and place NETBIOS.exe and dll files directly in your dosbox folder (Netbios is not necessary for Proving Grounds)
- If you want to host, you need to configure your router to forward port 213. It differs from router to router, so check your user's manual if you are unsure how to do this.
- In your dosbox.conf file, set: core=dynamic, cycles=10000, joysticktype=fcs (this actually enables Thrustmaster emulation in DOSbox), timed=false, ipx=true, and anything else you might desire.
(timed=false is important, as your joystick gets a little wonky with it. Armada.exe and pg.exe don't like it if it is set true and cycles=max, which is what generally happens when cycles is set to auto) (HCl's wonderful but ancient patched EXE is no longer needed with Dosbox .72!)
- On the very bottom of the dosbox.conf file, (after [autoexe]) or in dosbox itself type... (* = only needed for armada.conf not pg.conf)
mount c [Armada folder dir]
mount b [Dosbox folder dir]*
ipxnet startserver 213 (your forwarded port) OR ipxnet connect [IP adress] (depending if you are client or host, and the host must be up first as it must connect BEFORE netbios is launched as netbios will change the ip otherwise!)
armada.exe or pg.exe
exit (not needed but is good to be put in conf files as it saves you the hassle of closing dosbox when quitting)
Be sure to press alt-O to calibrate your joystick
All Wings Considered - Episode 1 - LIVE!
The first episode of ALL WINGS CONSIDERED is live now! All Wings Considered is the CIC's first ever streaming variety show which will feature news, conversation and gameplay relating to our favorite series. This week we're taking on ground missions in Wing Commander IV and talking about the first four chapters of the novel End Run with members of the community. (2019-02-21)
Streaming Live Thursday!
Our kickoff episode of ALL WINGS CONSIDERED is nearly here! Be sure to tune in on Thursday, February 21st, at 7 PM Eastern (4 PM Pacific) to watch our live streaming Wing Commander show. This works out to Midnight GMT, which we know is late on a school night, so the archived recording will be available later. (2019-02-20)
Wing Commander Enters the Retro Zone
Pix recently came across a pretty neat article in the UK magazine PC Zone. I really like it's graphical layout with the Dralthis overflying the slick text. The author is a big fan of the WC series and uses it as an example for awesome '90s games that were outside the realm of his usual fare. (2019-02-19)
Homeworld Mod's Prologue Campaign Released
There's an exciting update to the Homeworld Remastered Mod, Flag Commander, today. L.I. (2019-02-18)
CIC Forums Upgraded
Frequent visitors to the CIC Forums have already noticed that our message boards got a big upgrade this weekend. We first switched over to Xenforo 1.0 back in 2011, and this brings us up to 2. (2019-02-17)