In addition to all the scholarly discussion, fans will also be taking advantage of the crowd in #Wingnut to set up some Wing Commander Armada games. wcnut helped put together these instructions for people who've never played Armada online. Details on how to get Armada running on modern computers are also available in the CIC's Tech Support section.
Stop by #Wingnut if you have any questions or would like to find a competitor to play against!
That's it, start dosbox!
- Download and install DOSBox 0.72 (wcnut recommends the D-Fend front end to make configuration easier)
- Install Armada in a folder (wcnut recommends installing Joystick as Thrusmaster to minimize issues)
- To play on the internet, download netbios_binary.zip, and place NETBIOS.exe and dll files directly in your dosbox folder (Netbios is not necessary for Proving Grounds)
- If you want to host, you need to configure your router to forward port 213. It differs from router to router, so check your user's manual if you are unsure how to do this.
- In your dosbox.conf file, set: core=dynamic, cycles=10000, joysticktype=fcs (this actually enables Thrustmaster emulation in DOSbox), timed=false, ipx=true, and anything else you might desire.
(timed=false is important, as your joystick gets a little wonky with it. Armada.exe and pg.exe don't like it if it is set true and cycles=max, which is what generally happens when cycles is set to auto) (HCl's wonderful but ancient patched EXE is no longer needed with Dosbox .72!)
- On the very bottom of the dosbox.conf file, (after [autoexe]) or in dosbox itself type... (* = only needed for armada.conf not pg.conf)
mount c [Armada folder dir]
mount b [Dosbox folder dir]*
ipxnet startserver 213 (your forwarded port) OR ipxnet connect [IP adress] (depending if you are client or host, and the host must be up first as it must connect BEFORE netbios is launched as netbios will change the ip otherwise!)
armada.exe or pg.exe
exit (not needed but is good to be put in conf files as it saves you the hassle of closing dosbox when quitting)
Be sure to press alt-O to calibrate your joystick
Roberts Space Industries Passes Go, Collects $200 Million
Chris Roberts announced today that proceeds towards Star Citizen and Squadron 42 have now surpassed $200 million. This incredible milestone comes a bit over six years since the project launched and comes from 2.1 million different gamers in 171 countries. (2018-11-17)
Watch the French Resistance Achieve Victory Against the Kilrathi
DocteurJ is back with another extensive stream and commentary on the Wing Commander series. In this episode, he's flying the final mission of Wing Commander 3 to cap off his summertime playthrough of the game. As you're already aware if you skipped ahead and pressed play, DocteurJ is helping make sure Wing Commander fandom lives on in the French gaming community. (2018-11-16)
Japanese Advertisements Highlight Intriguing Ports
Here's a couple of really cool Japanese advertisements that LOAF recently came across. As is common in the country, they're chock full of text and liberal with the exclamation marks. The first is a small embedded ad for the Mega CD port of Wing Commander 1, which was the only version that got full speech as it was transferred to the disc-based format. (2018-11-15)
Art Portfolio One Step Closer to Production
Mike Winterbauer reports that he's finished putting together the dedication page in his Wing Commander Art Portfolio with all of the project backers who pledged at the appropriate $25+ Book threshold. For a limited time between now and when the material soon goes to print, he's put out a call for anyone who missed the end of the campaign and wanted to upgrade to be included. If so, send Mike a message. (2018-11-14)
Flying Pancake Complements Two-for-One Salthi
DefianceIndustries has moved over to Kilrathi ships as he fills out his WC1 fleet, and the first two fliers are the Dralthi and Salthi. We've seen a hundred Dralthi variants over the years, and they just never get old. This one is as gorgeous as we've ever seen, so it's just a treat. (2018-11-13)