Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Talon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sabre

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So the WC4 fighters don't even exist in the Book? :confused:

As to the Dauntless, I'm not telling you how to write it but it seems to me that if I were Morheim I'd get the Dauntless to a shipyard and get it re-fitted, screw those new Rangers! :D

Originally posted by BattleDog
So the WC4 fighters don't even exist in the Book? :confused:
Just not mentioned. I mean, it's not as though somebody in the book says that they don't exist :p.

As to the Dauntless, I'm not telling you how to write it but it seems to me that if I were Morheim I'd get the Dauntless to a shipyard and get it re-fitted, screw those new Rangers! :D
What do you think this is, some backwater third-world military dictatorship like Confed in WC4? :p Morheim is just the commander in chief of the Militia - he has a civilian government over his head. He doesn't make these decisions. Besides, however much we might like the Bengals, the decision to scrap them made very good sense at the time.

Originally posted by Quarto
Just not mentioned. I mean, it's not as though somebody in the book says that they don't exist :p.

Ah, you appear to have forgotten page 435:

"What am I to do?" thought Blair, "I know that ships like the Banshee, Vindicator and Avenger don't exist, but I can't stop thinking about them! Ah well, I guess I'll just go bed Sosa to keep my mind off things."

Why all of these dead-end In-system Security, Internal patrol, privateer/pirate crappy ships? Yeah... the BW is not exactly an economic super power, and flying older ships is cool.. but I sure wouldn't want to fight a war with anything that was on the Tiger's Claw longer than I had to.

ConFed would be exporting mad-amounts of fighters (lower tech though) like Bearcats (if they made it into real full production like the infamous Hellcat V) and maybe one of those nifty-yet-all-pretty-much-look-alike Prophecy ships like the Panther and such.

Or if Confed is dumping its Arrows, Thunderbolts, or Hellcats because it is moving to the Prophecy ships for all carriers (not just limited CVX deployment).. how about getting some basterdized Thunderbolts or Hellcats?

Bearcats are very new, I don't think Confed would be putting them on the surplus market just yet. I very much doubt they'd even think about selling WCP-era fighters just yet!

I can't remember if they're ISS or just local Confed, but there are plenty of Excaliburs and Thunderbolts flown in SO.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Bearcats are very new, I don't think Confed would be putting them on the surplus market just yet.

the're not. i think it was explained a while back that the bearcats were the ones that the BW got during WC4

The Bearcats were quite easy to mass produce, as could be seen from the clip in Wc4. They are simple ships with a reasonably symmetrical design and the 4 tachyon guns. While I liked the firepower, it's simplicity was its main drawback. Switch to full guns and you have to wait for a considerable amount of time for it to refire again. Miss your target a couple of times and it can get pretty frustrating.

About the acquisition of the Bearcats, I would think they would be the ones that Blair and the Intrepid captured, as well as the plant itself - it was, after all, build in Border World territory. Why would Confed use up resources in removing it and why would the Border Worlders want to get rid of it?

I would definitely be up for flying some older craft from previous fleets, like the Arrow and Hellcat. It was obvious in WCSO that the Thunderbolts and Excaliburs were still in use, but for light fighters, they were using the Piranahs instead. I'm sure it's a sign that Confed had discontinued or minimised the use of the Arrow and Hellcat.

Actually, with a little more armor and some Dragonflies, the WC4 versions of the Arrow and Hellcat would still do fairly well by WCP standards.

But to be serious here, so far the designers of UE have implied the following:

• The Scimitar is out, both in its plain Mass Driver-equipped form and in its upgraded Viper Cannon-equipped form.
  • We will definitely NOT be seeing the Raptor
  • We almost certainly WILL be seeing the Rapier IV as the new medium fighter, and the Vindicator as the light bomber.

Also likely is a heavy bomber--either the Avenger or refitted Longbows (hopefully the Longbows will have Viper cannons like the Avenger--it just plain sucks when your wing runs out of torps and you can't complete the mission).

Possible reappearances from UE1 include the Ferret, Epee, Banshee, and maybe the Bearcat. Hopefully the Banshee will have something like 2 Laser/2 Ion instead of 4 Laser/2 Stormfire--4 lasers are completely worthless against Mantas or heavier.

Personally, I want to see something to replace those darned Epees! 120 shields/80 armor is really pushing the limit.

Originally posted by StarLight

I would definitely be up for flying some older craft from previous fleets, like the Arrow and Hellcat. It was obvious in WCSO that the Thunderbolts and Excaliburs were still in use, but for light fighters, they were using the Piranahs instead. I'm sure it's a sign that Confed had discontinued or minimised the use of the Arrow and Hellcat.

You are wrong.They just used their latest ships of the Wc3-era ships.The Thunderbolt and the Excalibur where the newer ships back then.....
Confed wanted to use powerfull ships against the bugs ,so thats why the used the new generation ships/fighters in their SO campaign and the newer ships they had (Excalibut,Thunderbolt).Well they should have used Bearcats too....anyway.

I believe that the Prophecy and SO ships are very very limited.Confed still uses Rapiers,Hellcats,Arrows,Longbows......

Originally posted by Ijuin
We almost certainly WILL be seeing the Rapier IV as the new medium fighter, and the Vindicator as the light bomber.

Cool to have a new fighter. Also, they can call the Vindicator what they want, but it would be much nicer if they didn't strip it of its fighting capabilities.

Actually I think the Thunderbolt is pretty old. Its the F/A-66, the Excalibur is the F-103. Also you start to wonder when you look at the faster, more manuverable Sabre.

What scares me though is that the Bearcat is the F-104 and then the Tigershark is the F-105.

That means Confed came up with no new designs in 9 years and then rolled out the Prothecy Super Fighters.

Numbers mean nothing. I'm quite sure Thunderbolts are one of the newer ships in WC3. Arrows and Hellcats are ancient by comparison.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I'm quite sure Thunderbolts are one of the newer ships in WC3.

agreed, since the confederation is still using the thunderbolt in WCSO, and not the Sabre

Originally posted by StarLight
The Bearcats were quite easy to mass produce, as could be seen from the clip in Wc4. They are simple ships . . . but for light fighters, they were using the Piranahs instead. I'm sure it's a sign that Confed had discontinued or minimised the use of the Arrow and Hellcat.
Bearcats are probably anything but easy to produce, thanks especially to their prototype ion engines that require tons of maintanance work (much like the Apache helicopters in Iraq), which implies that the engines require some significant fine tuning during construction.
Pirahnas are the top of the line that are phasing out the light fighters. I'd imagine that the Arrows and Hellcats are still in service, especially on the smaller carriers. They will probably have a long service in the ISS for years to come.
I believe that the Prophecy and SO ships are very very limited
Specialized, not limited. Small difference :)
Actually I think the Thunderbolt is pretty old. Its the F/A-66, the Excalibur is the F-103. That means Confed came up with no new designs in 9 years and then rolled out the Prothecy Super Fighters
As Wedge said, numbers mean nothing. If we went by the numbers, F-84 and the F-105's (Vietnam/Korea era fighter/bombers), would be newer than the F-18 and F-16's and the B-24's and B-29's (WWII era) are more advanced than the B-1 and B-2's, right?
Only 9 year old designs for fighters would be a godsend for our military. Lets see if memory serves me, the F-18 is the most recent fully active fighter design in the US arsenal. It was first introduced in 1983. Our stealth aircraft (F-117, B-2, and F-22) began their journeys in the early and mid 70's. Not exactly top of the line.

C-ya

Originally posted by Aries
agreed, since the confederation is still using the thunderbolt in WCSO, and not the Sabre

The Thunderbolt and Sabre are built with different areas of emphasis. The Sabre was built to have enough speed and agility for dogfighting, at the expense of its shields (the Sabre's shields are only 1/3 thicker than the Epee's despite their faster recharge rate). The Thunderbolt, on the other hand, was built with the philosophy of overwhelming firepower--it is the only Confed ship in any WC game that has three types of simultaneously firing guns--Plasma, Photon, and Meson.

I still am looking forward to flying some of the older ships again, no matter which ones are newer or older than the others. Are you sure we can't get some of the other Kilrathi ships like the Sorthak?

Back