• Stilleto

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Talon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sabre

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hang on, I must have missed something. What does WCP do to make 2 Tachyons + 2 Lasers more powerful than 4 Tachyons?

Originally posted by Wedge009
Hang on, I must have missed something. What does WCP do to make 2 Tachyons + 2 Lasers more powerful than 4 Tachyons?

Refer to my earlier post in this thread on 03-17-2003 21:46.

What happens with the guns is that having more of the same type of gun results in the guns firing more slowly--if you have 4 of the same type of gun, then you will get one X4 burst from them in the same amount of time that you would get two X2 bursts if you had two of that type of gun. That means that you effectively get the same amount of damage per second regardless of how many of the same type of gun you have. As a result, it is nearly always better to have two of gun type G and two of any other type (even laser) than it is to have four, six, or even more of gun type G.

That is weird. Is it something that can be fixed or altered? And does that mean it may be more beneficial to switch to single gun fire, like on the Bearcat, since it just has tachyons, or the Banshee, which just has lasers?

By the way Wedge, can I have you as my lecturer? I have one that can't take constructive criticism about his lecturing style, which involves new concepts per 5 seconds, a foreign accent, not uploading lecture slides on time, no repetition of important ideas or good, full, basic explanations of hard concepts...

Unfortunately, the only real workaround to the gun problem is to just build/modify your ships so that they don't have more than two of any type of gun--the Vampire would be more powerful with 2 Tachyon/2 Particle/2 Ion than with 4 Tachyon/2 Particle, for example.

As for single-gun fire, certainly it lets you shoot faster, but you still don't get more damage in by having four of a type of gun instead of two.

I suppose at least that means the Vampire isn't over-powered with its four Tachyons.

Originally posted by StarLight
By the way Wedge, can I have you as my lecturer?
Heh, heh, welcome to university. :D

Remember the old...

You know what would (IMO) kick some SERIOUS ass in UE2? The old Morningstar light figherbomber! Mmmm...Mace missile...well, even without it, a few BW refits (triple Viper Cannons anyone?) could turn it into a really fun, albeit suicide-sled-ish killing machine.

The Morningstar wasn't the most common of fighters even during the war, so we don't know if any still exist at all. Also, vipers will not just get mounted on anything. The Border Worlds don't have infinite resources.

Quarto said:
The Morningstar wasn't the most common of fighters even during the war, so we don't know if any still exist at all. Also, vipers will not just get mounted on anything. The Border Worlds don't have infinite resources.

Are you sure the Border Worlds have ANY resources at all?
The Morningstars are probably all gone, due to their rarity. Due to the BW's lack of resources...they only put Vipers on something as a last ditch effort (like on the old Scims...pieces of shit that they are)...

The BW has infinitely more resources that we can imagine, since they control a number of planets :). It's just that resources aren't useful until you have enough industry to exploit them, and therein lies the difference between Confed and BW. The BW was on the frontlines throughout the war, so they don't exactly have that much industry now.

Quarto said:
The BW has infinitely more resources that we can imagine, since they control a number of planets :). It's just that resources aren't useful until you have enough industry to exploit them, and therein lies the difference between Confed and BW. The BW was on the frontlines throughout the war, so they don't exactly have that much industry now.

D'OH! I was wrong then...but I love the UBW, I always have a thing for the underdogs (the unequipped ppl with crappy equipment but generally more spirit and courage (Think Canada at Vimy Ridge ^^)).

TheLowlyDog said:
The Morningstars are probably all gone, due to their rarity.
IIRC, the Morningstars were the Confederation's premiere anti-capship fighter at some point. They may only be present in some sectors, there's always an explanation for the existence of something not present in games.

Well in SO2 the Morningstars were prone to "random jump drive failure". It is a possibility that they never actually solved that problem, and as a result, the Morningstar never went into full production.

Mmm, perhaps. Fighters don't necessarily need jump capability to effective strike ships, but I suppose just the fact that it's plagued with a the jump failure could discourage Confed from full production.

Take your pick. :) I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but nobody has yet explained to me WHY they think UE2 should depict the BW dealing with a now imminent and unavoidable alien threat in the same way they used a half-empty hundred year old carrier to deal with half a dozen Kilrathi pirates. Qouted on first page

The Dauntless is only 60 years old

Relating to "The lowly dog's" comment that Scimitars are pieces of shit. I have to diagree. I found it a very good fighter in WC1

Oh, I assumed it was one of the original Bengals from the 2620's when the Tigers Claw was built. i din't know they continued production that long

Enough about hating the Scimitar. It's a classic fighter. Wait, that's kind of like saying people shouldn't hate the Pinto...

Uh, Raptor, give us the Raptor. Now that's a classic!

Back