Where are You?

Well, there was the Dallas in Hunt for Red October... which was a hell of a Game Boy game... :)

Yes and a game too, from EA 688-i Sub. simulator, the best Sub.simulator of all the times !!!!

Btw if you watch the movie insomnia, the alaskan town is really port alberni. robin williams and al pichino were here for the filming for one day

688i was a fair game, but there was so much that could have been done to make it better that was more or less completely ignored.

Silent Hunter 2 will be good, especially with it's Destroyer game twin.

Yup, there is a Los Angeles (688) Class, the most numerous, too (63 built). The only reason that they're named after cities is that the Navy promised to name the class and ships after the hometowns of the senators on whatever committee decides what funds the military gets and what projects live. Damn politicians.

688i rocks! A little tedious though

Originally posted by Lunatic
Yup, there is a Los Angeles (688) Class, the most numerous, too (63 built). The only reason that they're named after cities is that the Navy promised to name the class and ships after the hometowns of the senators on whatever committee decides what funds the military gets and what projects live. Damn politicians.

"Fish don't vote." -- Adm. Hyman G. Rickover (father of the US nuclear submarine fleet), in reply to a question asking why the 688 class was named after cities, vice the more traditional fish names

As for the 63, you're not counting the hull numbers assigned to the Ohio-class SSBN, are you? A batch of numbers was set aside for the Ohios, after which there were some more LA-class boats. (I don't recall any of the relevant numbers off the top of my head, though. I'm sure I could find them with a bit of digging on Google, but I'm lazy today. :p )

Admiral Rickover also said that they should name an aircraft carrier after him, instead of a submarine. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You know what's a great sub game? Archmedian Dynasty.

Because it's like Privateer? :)

Originally posted by $tormin
i prefered the seawolf subsim
Unsurprising, since Seawolf was the sequel to 688 :).

I personally rather liked Silent Service II. It wasn't hyperrealistic, but it was definitely fun. And being able to play for the duration of the entire war was really neat.

I always liked being able to listen to classical music while playing "Aces of the deep". :)
But 688 was cool, had a weird package...

The best thing about Over the Reich was Ride of the Valkiries in the background. It did get a little tiresome after the twentieth or twenty-first time, however.

I wouldn't know, since I never had the full version. I got a demo copy as part of some marketing conspiracy between EA and Maxell... every time you bought a box with ten disks (5.25! :)), you got an 11th disk with a 688 (or some golf game) demo.

Wait... that is a weird package :).

Tactical combat game. WWII. Hard to explain, turn-based, kinda like a wargame.

BTW, what time is it over there in Germany? 11:00 p.m here...that might explain why we never seem to be on at the same time. :D

Oh, I made a bad assumption. Is it new or old?
It's 10 minutes after 11 o'clock in the morning here in Germany. I think that's the worst time difference we have... ;)

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 06-02-2001 at 05:12]

Yes, that's also the reason, why I coulsn't answer to the thread 'The way life should be' any more. Sometimes everybody needs to slepp. And now I got up and it is closed. That doesn't mean I didn't want to figure out the reasons for my new nick. I just needed to sleep. :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt Oh, I made a bad assumption. Is it new or old?

Well, lessee...it came out around mid 1997, so...

It's 10 minutes after 11 o'clock in the morning here in Germany. I think that's the worst time difference we have... ;)[/B]

Yeesh. Can't argue with that!

Back