Where are You?

Originally posted by redwolf
Bah... bloody eastern states!
Hey! That's not very nice, especially coming from someone so patriotic. :(

Besides, you can't argue about it, really. The majority of Australia lives in the eastern states. ;)

Originally posted by Silencer

And Ghost, I have no idea what you're talking about:
"In wich year transcurs Starship Troopers ????"

Hes asking in what year does Starship Troopers take place. I think he meant occurs.

And how the bugs farts a rock FTL?????....They are in the oposite side of the galaxy....mmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh

Originally posted by Ghost
And how the bugs farts a rock FTL?????....They are in the oposite side of the galaxy....mmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh

a rock moving FTL wouldhave shattered the earth. the writers souldhave taken a science course

But the bugs arent farting the rocks, they fart plasma which hits rocks in an asteroid field around Klendathu. At least in the movie. In the book they have ships and didnt smash BA like they did in the movie.

Originally posted by Bob McDob
(...)
Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I'm from Germany too, I live in Wiesbaden. There are (or at least were) some Germans here.

Weisbaden? There's a ship in WC named after there! And, if I'm correct, a german warship from WWI (haven't been able to find it yet...:()

[Edited by Bob McDob on 05-30-2001 at 01:36]

Well, WIEsbaden, yes. It's a transport, isn't it? Oh well, the spelling, like the other German name for a ship: Blitzkreig (of course, what could it have been else). It's "Blitzkrieg".
Oh well, never mind. And it may well be that a warship was called Wiesbaden, since there was/is a naming convention for warships (e.g. naming Destroyers after cities or Frigates after states).

Weisbaden is a Marine Transport... similar to a carrier, except for Marines. <G> (So... not a dedicated ship of the line like a destroyer, but more than a transport...)

Originally posted by Wedge009
Originally posted by redwolf
Bah... bloody eastern states!
Hey! That's not very nice, especially coming from someone so patriotic.

Besides, you can't argue about it, really. The majority of Australia lives in the eastern states.

Actually, I'm a successionist :) WA voted to leave the federation in 1933, but it was held to be 'unconstitutional'.

True, most people live on the eastern seaboard, but most of the wealth is from WA :)

Meanwhile here I am in Vienna, VA, just across the
river from LOAF. Whether this is good or bad, I have
not yet determined.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

PS. Loaf lives in MD, right? -- BDP.

Crikey, redowlf and Ashman, the fact that we're all from Australia should count for something. But you have to go and put petty state rivalry into it. :(

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Oh well, never mind. And it may well be that a warship was called Wiesbaden, since there was/is a naming convention for warships (e.g. naming Destroyers after cities or Frigates after states).

Here in the US (I consider myself an American, despite the fact I live out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean ;)), destroyers and frigates are named after famous personalites. This is the only combat ship naming convention that has survived since the 1800s. Battleships were named after states, and cruisers cities. Except after WWII with the decommisioning of the BBs the entire thing fell apart, with cruisers named after states, then cities. Submarines, who were named for various fish and sea creatures, bore the name Simon Bolivar. And CVs...well, nobody was sure what to call them, they were originally named after famous ships, then battles, and now bear the names that submarines wore in the sixties (Stennis, Vinson, Reagan, etc.), while the "state" cruisers were retired and new ones called for battles were launched.

Now that I've finished ranting I will get a drink. :D

Back