what is the capital of the borderworld union?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You still cant hear another ship exploding in space. But we all know it would be pretty boring if they didnt have sounds in our entertainment.

No sound in space would make movies and games very boring. If you really need a real world explanation, I think someone suggested that the sound in WC is simulated inside the cockpit to give the pilot information through sense other than sight. It would save having to look at the indicators all the time.

Wow, this thread took off fast. :)

Silent space combat is alluded to in the Robotech novels by Jack McKinney. In space, no ne can hear you go BOOM!!!!! :D

Originally posted by Wedge009
No sound in space would make movies and games very boring. If you really need a real world explanation, I think someone suggested that the sound in WC is simulated inside the cockpit to give the pilot information through sense other than sight. It would save having to look at the indicators all the time.

It should be noted that air-craft designers already use that technique, as the brain came process more information if it comes from many sources than if comes from just one source, That ranges from the simple "Bitchin Betty" systems to audio feedback of vital flight information.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by gryphon
[I go to Speardon] because what we are hunting for is secret new Confed fighters, and what they are building in Speardon are secret, marked Confed fighters [...] these new Bearcats may give us a clue to where the secret Confed fighters are produced [...] I choose to have a closer look at Speardon, in order to scrutinize Confed's new technology... As I said, Circe will still be around in a week, but right now we need every shred of evidence we can think of [...] BTW, You don't KNOW about the IFF codes beforehand, so it shouldn't affect Your choice... I'd always save civilian lives, but the ntrepid can't get bogged down in a civil war, not now when every minute counts. Imagine the lives lost when Confed declares war. Believing I have to stop this at all costs, I pick Speardon to get more evidence.
What you wrote above, Gryphon, is utter bullshit, and you know it :). No, indeed you do not know about the IFF codes beforehand. But you also do not know about the Bearcats beforehand. All you know is that there's a "Confed shipyard gearing up for war". Most likely, you would assume that "shipyard" is just that - a capship building yard, as opposed to a fighter factory. Therefore, neither the Bearcats nor the mysterious black fighters have any influence on your choice. What we know about Speradon does not indicate that there might be valuable evidence there, but merely that there will be an opportunity to steal some valuable goodies.

And regarding sound in space, am I really the only one who thinks that a movie without sound in space could be absolutely bloody awesome? You would get really nice contrast between the interior scenes with sound (including cockpit shots, where you would hear your guns fire and when you get hit), and the exterior scenes with total silence, or just music. Provided it's done by a skilled director who's willing to try new things, it could work out really, really, really great - without even losing any appeal to that huge market segment that loves things that go boom ;).

[Edited by Quarto on 05-23-2001 at 04:48]

i personally think that Kubrick's filmatization of 2001 was phenomenal, no sound in space, and it gave an eerie silence that no droning "subdued engine" sound ever could... Silence is a thousand times as frightening as a scream.

I would love to see a film where cockpit shots were intermingled with that same action, muted by the indifference of space... what a great idea.

Originally posted by Nep Parth
The movie is crap. The actual book is about Heinlein's social commentary on the military and the justice system.

The movie was an action movie, and not a terribly good one at that. It also had GLARING errors...Dizzy is a man! DIZZY'S SUPPOSED TO BE A MAN! PEOPLE IN BUENOS AIRES SPEAK SPANISH! THE SKY MARSHAL DIDN'T RUN THE GOVERNMENT! AAAAGGH!

The Bugs, in the book, had spaceships and other such things...which they DIDN'T have in the movie.

They still could have mixed action and the original book, like in Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy. Great game.

[Edited by Nep Parth on 05-22-2001 at 13:26]

O.k. I never read the book so I don't know about that but isn't that exactly what hollywood does take a good story and alter it. And about the errors, less people would have gone to the movie if it had been in spanish and besides that there are a lot of great movies with errors in them. Bravehaert had axewielding scots with watches besides the fact that the pike wasn't first introduced in battle by William Wallice but by Sir Robert the Bruce and all the big battles seamed to take place on the same field. Historically the last battle should have taken place in a swamp. Armegeddon had people in China look at the same piece of the asteroid as people in France and the US and it was daytime (or was it nighttime) in all three places.I happened to think that besides the obvious mistakes they were all great movies.

It wasn't just badly written, it wasn't logical...they put out Starship Troopers toys, then they make the movie rated R because of two totally unesscessary breast shots.

HAHAHAHAHA

For two breast shots? PFFT! So they allow films over there with so much violence and gore yet they slap on an R for a few breasts???

Sorry guys, but I laugh at your government and pressure groups. Over here it was 15+, and then again I think it was only a recommendation not a restriction. :)

Dear God, who in their right mind would like David Lynch's version of Dune?

I liked the Sci-fi version much, much better. It's far easier to actually UNDERSTAND. I didn't need a pamphlet handed to me to explain the terminology...

And, the Sci-Fi version was a big success. Lynch's version is much, much darker than my tastes prefer. That, and the girls in the Sc-fi version are much, much cuter...

Pardon my ignorance (with SST as well) but there were two Dune versions??? Or just the movie with Sting and the books?

I'm confused!

Wait, you're from the continent where they heavily censor video games and you're complaining about the US rating of SST based on what some idiot here made up? SST was rated R for its violence (and there was *plenty* of violence) and the nude scenes...

starship troopers as a film and not related to the book was okay, the idea of a film where the only shooting noise was in cockpit and the rest silent would be amazing, and it'd shut the critics up

lastly
In space noone can hear you scream
but everyone can hear you starscream

People (a term I use loosely, usually not including myself in the set) have this innate propensity to make fun of other people because they held on to beliefs that we now know were "wrong". Some examples are: Once they thought the Earth was flat. Idiots! Once they thought snot was produced by the brain. Idiots! Once they thought that you could transform earth into gold using 14th century technology. Idiots! Once they thought thunder was created by some guy riding the skies and banging it with a hammer. Idiots!

Symbolic communication between members of the species is the thin line that separates us from the monkeys. I say let's make good use of it. Belief in science and religious or occult beliefs need not be mutually exclusive, by the way. That's just my interpretation. But whenever you hear a belief system used in a "description of truth or reality", such as astrology, quantum electrodynamics, Catholicism, Buddhism, or Scientology, be sure to ask.

I fear that the concept of indepentently verifiable observations is woefully underrated these days. "Reality" is but a soup of haphazard quantum events, poorly interpreted by a mishmash of misfiring synapses. And as if that wasn't bad enough, there's five billion versions of "reality" and speculation is rampant. Soberly evaluating someone else's observations can save the day.

Meaning: Nothing can shut the critics up :)

Belief in science and religious or occult beliefs need not be mutually exclusive, by the way. That's just my interpretation.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. "
- Galileo Galilei

Once they thought thunder was created by some guy riding the skies and banging it with a hammer. Idiots!

Oh crap, here it comes...!

::Ducks as a flash of lightning fries the air above Gryphon::

Plan, so far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.

Oh, and here's a good one:

The God whom science recognizes must be a God of universal laws exclusively, a God who does a wholesale, not a retail business. He cannot accomodate His processes to the convenience of individuals. - William James, The Varieties of Religious Experience, 1902

Galileo Galilei was prossecuted by the church for blasphemy (or something like that).

Besides that people who in Columbus time believed that the earth was flat where idiots. The greek had already proven the earth to be a sphere.

The Greek had also invented trigonometry, invented the taximeter, steam engine, but I mean, the ROmans invented the hamburger and the Chinese invented toilet paper, but what does that mean for Dark age Europe?

The more we disagree, the more chance there is that at least one of us is right. As You know, diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back