what is the capital of the borderworld union?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Meson
Washington, District of Columbia, North America, the capital of the Confedration itself. Every WC fan should know that one, unless LOAF knows something different.
Well, I didn't know that, but of course, now I realise that's based on the landing of Blair's Lance/Dragon there in WC4. Why the American capital? I thought sci-fi universes with a global nation tended to have the capital in Hawaii. Even though that's US too.

When has the capital EVER been in Hawaii? France MAYBE (though i dont particularly like that) but Hawaii?!?!

Just from the top of my head, SICON of Starship Troopers had their capital in Oahu, which I believe is in Hawaii. What sci-fi universe had their capital in France?

Besides, in Starship Troopers its the Terran Federation that would have a capital and it wasnt Hawaii, it was Geneva i believe.

The capital of Confed is Washington DC -- now, *please*, no one complain about how that's mean to the poor Europeans. That's just how it is.

The Border Worlds capital is never stated -- I would bet anything that it's *not* Circe (or anywhere else we see in Wing Commander IV), for some very obvious reasons -- if the Border Worlds *capital* had been under attack, Blair wouldn't have been given a *choice* as to whether or not he wanted to defend it... and even if he had been, he certainly would have picked the system over Speradon, which he didn't...

As for SST -- I think SICON HQ was in Hawaii -- but not their capital...

I always thought choosing Circe was a very very dumb thing to do...

Assembly votes in five days, we need to give evidence to prevent war. If all goes well we can be back in a week and kick them out of Circe THEN! But right now, we need info on Confed's unmarked starfighters, and we're not gonna find it by kicking mercenaries out of a planet they'll still be in five days from now...

Why would the borderworlds have a cappital. The borderworlds are a collective of indipended planets. All members (planets) are equally important. Therefore assigning one planet the cappital of the borderworlds would raise its importance compared to other planets. Besides that I don't think the Borderworlds would have a central government.

The Union of Border Worlds most certainly does have a central government... otherwise, it wouldn't be a Union, now would it? And, since it has a central government, it has a capital :).

My personal bet would be Torgo (at least, that's what I used in the UE fiction). While we know very little about this system, it did have a major Confed starbase during the War, so it's obviously a fairly important place. It also happens to be a reasonably central location in the Border Worlds (and has quite a few jump points, making communication easier). Besides, that's where the Treaty of Torgo was signed, so the place has sentimental value :).

Originally posted by Quarto
The Union of Border Worlds most certainly does have a central government... otherwise, it wouldn't be a Union, now would it? And, since it has a central government, it has a capital :).

No it doesn't, a union just means you work together for a common goal. I mean the United Nations aren't the central government of earth (minus a few country's). They are just a Union of country's with a common goal.

Ive done both.

The Union of Border Worlds is a union of those planets, but unifiyed into one nation which has a working government, organized military, and therefore a capital from which it all stems. The UN isnt a government but even so has its headquarters in New York.

I agree with Sup here, even a union such as the European Union, or even an organization such as NATO has a chairman and headquarters. The Border Worlds must have a nexus somewhere, as their military is organized and there is obviously cash flow to holders of construction contracts which are administrated from somewhere. Now the extent of involvement of this "government" on the dealings of individual systems is one thing, however there is surely a place for all the heads of state to convene.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
...now, *please*, no one complain about how that's mean to the poor Europeans. That's just how it is.
Heh, not just the Europeans, how about the Africans or the Asians? ;)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
As for SST -- I think SICON HQ was in Hawaii -- but not their capital...
Well, I've got no idea then. :(

Originally posted by gryphon
I always thought choosing Circe was a very very dumb thing to do...

Assembly votes in five days, we need to give evidence to prevent war. If all goes well we can be back in a week and kick them out of Circe THEN! But right now, we need info on Confed's unmarked starfighters, and we're not gonna find it by kicking mercenaries out of a planet they'll still be in five days from now...

I got to Circe for that very reason. Raiding Confed weapons plants would ramp up tensions tensions between the two nations, while stopping innocent civilians from getting slaughtered will cool things down. Also, the Circe track makes it *easier* to capture the Black Lance fighters by giving you the IFF codes.

Best, Raptor

That's why Circe was the softie/Panther's choice. Attacking Speradon required motives similar to a certain admiral eager for war.

Well, effective soldiers require effective tools :). No, but seriously, going to Speradon always made sense to me. Even if I ignore the ever-so-poweful "I get new toys" argument, this action seemed to make sense. You gotta make sure that if you do fail to prevent the war, the UBW will still have some sort of fighting chance.

Well, it is one of the more, if not most, important decision in the entire game - so you could argue effectively for both options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back