WC4 Mod For Homeworld 2 In The Works (June 5, 2006)

czacen said:
the game has a preset of graphics resolutions, this is independant of your windows resolution. 1280 x 960 will work fine on almost any graphics card today

What he's asking is whether or not those resolutions include widescreen ones such as 1280x800.

Lt.Death100 said:
Yes unless I'm seriously mistaken we're going to have a BL faction.

Yeah, Aaron's already said the Black Lance are the third faction.

ah, widescreen! thanks for clearing that for me chris. sorry hw2 doesnt have an internal 1280 by 800 res setting. Yes Shades, BL is very much going to be in the game.

ok ppl, need some feedback. i dunno what got into me today but i got so pumped watching wc academy (which i downloaded from cic with my new net connection :D) that i went out and did this -->

so my question is, shld i include this ship in the mod? it was in the novel, as some ppl have pointed out, but never in the game. the bw fighter compliment is quite capable as it stands. plus if i include this fighter does it mean i need to add other ships from the novel, or can i just leave it with one novel entry, sort of like a tribute to novel, and wc academy?

Homeworld 2 comes with a limited number of standard, selectable resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960 and 1600x1200) all with a 4:3 aspect ratio. While a lot of PC manufacturers had been selling PC's with LCD monitors for a little while or were beginning to when HW2 was released in late 2003, LCD monitors (mostly 17"-19" 1280x1024 - 5:4 AR) and more recently large 20"+ widescreen (16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio) were not nearly as prevalent as they are today, so HW2 seems to have been designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio. Indeed, while many current and upcoming game have provision for native widescreen support, some current titles still have minimal or even no support.

However, it is possible to manually select other resolutions by adding some text to the properties of the HW2 shortcut, along the lines of:
"C:\Program Files\Homeworld2\HW2.exe" -width 1280 -height 800

There should be a note in the HW2 readme.txt about this, so if you want to try it out, check the readme. I tried out some non-standard resolutions when I was testing the mod -- the only issue here is that the game and interface look stretched in widescreen resolutions, but it should still work. I tried 1280x720, 1400x1050 and 1920x1080. Other 4:3 resolutions like 2048x1536 or common laptop resolutions like 1280x800 should also work.

EDIT: Just saw your update. The Scimitar addition looks great -- it's amazing that you can just whip something like this so quickly! :cool: As you said Aaron, the UBW fighter inventory is quite competent, but I wouldn't mind the Scimitar's inclusion -- perhaps to spice things up it could limited to being built from UBW cruisers or space stations? Or maybe it could have a specific role? Anyway, really cool bit of work!

Cheers,

Bryn

czacen said:
so my question is, shld i include this ship in the mod? it was in the novel, as some ppl have pointed out, but never in the game. the bw fighter compliment is quite capable as it stands. plus if i include this fighter does it mean i need to add other ships from the novel, or can i just leave it with one novel entry, sort of like a tribute to novel, and wc academy?

Those look really great. The Intrepid did carry Scimitars in the Wing Commander 4 novel, so you're definitely in the clear if you decide you can fit them in.

czacen said:
so my question is, shld i include this ship in the mod?

It's a good question. On one hand, everything you've made thus far has been "game" oriented. I'd love to see the books details added - all the "old" fighters, the black Hellcats for the Black Lance or the UBW "Jump Frigate" - but it might confuse some people if they haven't read the book.

I wish HW2 allowed "random" ships built (as in, you build some heavy fighters but instead of Avengers - you'd get a squadron of Broadswords once in a while, etc) but I'm pretty sure the game can't implement that nor the naming of capital ships.

But man, those Scimitars look wonderful. You're one hell of a good modder, czacen.

Beautiful! I love the Scimitars! Any chance for a closer-up view of those little buggers? I'd say add them, just for the awesome factor. There's only one other thing I thought I'd mention...I don't think those two pods over the wings are engines. I believe - if my memory serves - that those are listed as accelleration absorbers. This is based on the blueprints available from the CIC, as well as the damage report on the in-cockpit display. If that glow around them is meant to portray something other than an engine corona, then apologies. Other than that one minor bit of trivia, awesome work!

ah, so those arent engines, thanks Howard, my mistake ill change it. never actually flew this fighter myself you know, kinda waiting for EA replay to try it out.

EDIT: ok its changed... heres a closeup.

Kickass! Don't sweat it about that minor stuff - I wouldn't have known what the heck they were if I hadn't made one of these babies myself. Anyhow, looks excellent close up. Good job!

"This is a powerful ship. There were none like it when I began my search..."

I humbly suggest shelve it (and other novel details) for later releases once the mod has been publically released for awhile. You probably have enough on your plate already and I woud hate to see scope creep.

And yeah, it looks cool anyway :D

BrynS said:
However, it is possible to manually select other resolutions by adding some text to the properties of the HW2 shortcut, along the lines of:
"C:\Program Files\Homeworld2\HW2.exe" -width 1280 -height 800

This ist the way i play hw2 on my widescreen notebook, so that was my question - can i play with this theme in this resolution?

may the kilrathi will find a way in this mod - just a dream... :D

regards

the theme only works for 1280 by 960 res. i have not made any other version. wow mincemeat do you really want to can this ship? i dont think ill be making any more novel additions since there isnt any proper visual reference for other things like black hellcats, etc. but this was nice.

czacen said:
the theme only works for 1280 by 960 res. i have not made any other version. wow mincemeat do you really want to can this ship? i dont think ill be making any more novel additions since there isnt any proper visual reference for other things like black hellcats, etc. but this was nice.

I would certainly use things from the novel if it helps you fill out some of the factions. I think something like the cloaking arrow's paint scheme might work for things like "black hellcats"

I like the addition of the Scimitar very much, my only complaint would be for a paint job that's more akin to the Border Worlds and some wear and tear to give it that "oldie" feeling.

well the texture for the scimitar was made out of the vindicator texture so it cant get any more BW-ish, and still retain the confed scheme, which is what i wanted to achieve. i dont think its necessary for a ship of old design to look old in service. so many mig 21s and f4a phantoms are still in service yet they look in remarkably good condition. the texture doesnt look too old but i dont think it looks that new either. esp around those acceleration absorbers.

While the idea of "aged craft" is a nice one, it seems a little silly in terms of gameplay. If you were to go "by the book" and make those fighters look more decrepit, you'd also have the all fighters launched by the UBW in various states of disrepair and damage and I don't think thats something that should be taken into account.

I'm having second thoughts about the Scimitar, thinking of the Border Worlds, they wouldn't really bother with changing the paint scheme is in more importance of keeping it flying and looking spiffy, so I would call it 'old fashioned' as opposed to obselete.

I'm liking the current layout right now.

no ship is going to spend 20 years in service after retirement by confed and swap fleets without undergoing a few changes, and a repaint is definitely going to be one of them over those years. esp since bw have made the effort to do up their caps on the skin, though subtle as it may be its definitely their identity.

well the scim is in for now. gives all sides 5 fighter cores. below is the latest and final form of the scim in game with icons etc.

Really like the game ill be glad to test out any missions you have, look for graphic issues, and mabye some comm isssues, let me know if i can test the missions when they are made one by one. This has given me another reason to keep Homeworld 2 Thank you "i hate homeworld" people!

by the way, in every WC game you could eject, by any chance could you add a special feature where theres a chance a pilot can eject? and when you send an sar, you get 100 resource bonus because the pilots family is happy to know he's alive, and donate to the military, but if your not quick enough, the enemy takes the pilot and gets a quick scan from sensors to see your base and all your units. that would be neat can you do that?

Back