Tolwyn's silly cape in WC2

Yuck, I'd hate to be confused with Earthworm. :)

Nobody's saying there wasn't a relationship between Sosa and Catscratch -- the novel doesn't discount this, and the game confirms it. That doesn't really stop Sosa from having a crush on Blair...

As for Blair's position at the end of the game -- he certainly *was* promoted to Brigadier General, since this is the rank he holds in WCP (Naval Commodore). Not that this prevents him from being a flight instructor... (especially on the Intrepid, where he was assigned in the WCIV novel).

(Of course, there were two potential endings fro WCIV -- this is where the book tells us what happened.)

The Novels do not co-exist.....

I never seen a WC book get so many attacks (I only read the little part that came with the game) so something must be wrong in that....(Blair and Sosa......scarry.......)

Originally posted by Dragon
The Novels do not co-exist.....

You bore me, monsieur!

But seriously, you can't jump into a thread about proving whether or not the novels co-exist and go "the novels do not co-exist" without providing any proof of your position.

Someone said that the Novels and the games dont co-exist...

Somethings are overlooked, besides would it be any fun if we know the way the game goes by reading the book ?
Of couse not but even WC III bio weapon fail mission does not get as much attacks that the WC IV, the WC IV does give a lot of freedom to the players, the novel (that does not have any choise on that since it a book) have a clear path but many things in there dont show up in the Game (Landing on the Princeton with all those Black Lance fighters in there [Dragon/Lance], those Blair/Sosa dialoges [she never say anything that hint to that in the game], the "missing vagabond/catshatch", etc...), that make many to dislike the novel just for that.

But the book does that, my examples are just that, it say things that we dont see in the game, a pity.(it would be fun to see those things in the novel but the FMV cost money and the budget was high enough without all that)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Nobody's saying there wasn't a relationship between Sosa and Catscratch -- the novel doesn't discount this, and the game confirms it. That doesn't really stop Sosa from having a crush on Blair...
...and actually try to make out with him? I disagree monsieur, and I think you are incorrect.. :)

Let me dig up that thread where I listed all the WC IV game-novel inconsistencies (to which you never replied, knowing I was right... :p), and you'll have to explain some things, monsieur LOAF...

Yuck, I'd hate to be confused with Earthworm. :)
I can't be sure it was him who said that yet. Either way, I apologise.

That doesn't really stop Sosa from having a crush on Blair...
But I thought we were arguing the other way round, that Blair did/did not have a crush on Sosa.

LOAF, you're lucky that the thread i was looking for has been deleted from the CIC (for space limits probably), and that I am too lazy to list the details again... :)

I'm ready to give you reason on this one, "par désespoir de cause", but I maintain my opinion and agree on what EW said... :)

Wha? No threads have been deleted -- not since the board died over a year ago. I didn't see it before, so... list your incosistencies again and I'll explain them.

Again, there's absolutely nothing in WC4 that prevents Sosa from being attracted to Blair.

Either do a search for your thread or set your date threshhold back far enough so you can see it. I think there's a 'view all messages' option in the pull down list.

TC

There shouldn't be anything which prevents any woman from being attracted to Blair. Heart of the Tiger and all that. :)

Excuse me, master LOAF, but the number of pages available stops at "6"... thereby making the threads prior to March unavailable...
In addition, when I posted my inconsistency list, I had freshly finished reading the book... :)

Yes LOAF, thank you! Here it is (posted on 02-27-2001 12:20 in the Canon? Official? Apocrypha? thread):

Originally posted by mpanty
I'd like to add some details on the "Canon? Official? Apocrypha?" thread...

I'm pretty close to the end of the novel the Price of Freedom (wow, 300 pages in a bit more than a week-end! you really gotta be a fan :)), and I HAVE BEEN ASTONISHED by the... YES!! DIFFERENCES!!!

Previously, when I first pointed this out in the thread, Bandit promptly gave me a justification for most the differences I noted, skilfully clearing most of them. Yet some remained...

But NOW that I'm near to the end of the book, HELL, there is really some stuff that's not going along with the game!
(N.B. I don't want to spoil the story for those who haven't read the book yet, so for you guys don't read what follows...)

1) Blair's defection
Ok, he defects later, an option that is given in the game, but in what way??? He actually fights Seether!! And most importantly, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENS TO CATSCRATCH AND VAGABOND??? They just disappear!! Vagabond is supposed to join Eisen the first time a defection option is proposed, and then have had to gun him down...
Catscratch is supposed to follow you whatever you chose!

2) Blair's encounter with the Cats
WOW! The old enemies meet again, Blair has to help out Melek under attack. In the game the two meet aboard the Intrepid...
In the novel, the ACTUALLY meet on Melek's ship, because Blair has to land due to the heavy damage to his ship. Melek gives him the grand tour of the ship, the temple, and he offers him some kind of "gift"... BLAIR ACTUALLY SLEEPS WITH A FEMALE KILRATHI!!!
How crazy is that?

3) Blair's love life
Ok, so Catscratch's gone, he can't flirt with Lt. Sosa...
and the author thought it would be on the Wing Commander universe's line for Blair and Sosa to have some kind of flirt, considering what had happened to Blair with Rachel, but PLEASE Bandit don't tell me now that this TOO can co-exist with the game story...

4) The Speradon missions
Obviously, due to novel size limitations, the three missions you are offered to do in the game (2/3) are actually carried out AT THE SAME TIME in the novel, according to Panther's plan, as an element of surprise...
Though, at the end of the plan, you get to land on the TCS Princeton! And that's where you admire closely the "Black Lances" for the first time...

5) The Teladon bioweapon "bombing"
In the game, Blair and Dekker actually get to see with their own eyes the effects of the "nanobots" canisters, they land on Telamon! According to the game therefore, one option is that Blair, Dekker and the marines present all match the nanobot DNA search (meaning the nanobots are still present and active on the planet's surface), but in that case Blair and the others would be "infected" as "carriers" once they were to take off, thereby possibly also infecting the Intrepid's crew (unless these nanobots can't be transmitted, which contradicts what the doctor on Telamon says in the novel).
The other option is that the nanobots are not active anymore at Blair's arrival, which I think is the explanation chosen in the game, meaning that nanobots act only once -the first time they are released.
In all cases, Blair never gets to set foot on Telamon in the novel, the doctor contacts him and Wilford via the Comm system...

6) The infiltration on Axius base
In the book, there are many details that are not included in the game for simplicity, and actually here the story version of the novel is better, because it takes into account factors not specifically outlined in the game (with the exception of the clearance codes), such as IFF recognition codes, traces of Border World systems etc...
Also, Blair comes aboard the base already with a Black Lance uniform, which definitely makes more sense than coming aboard in his BW clothes like in the game, no one greeting him after his landing, so that he has to steal an uniform in the base facility!!

That's all I have read so far, but I'm quite convinced that there are more details to come, along with differences...

The point of all of this? Establish once and for all which sources to be trusted when a contradiction occurs...
With all this evidence, we cannot say anymore that the novels just "expand" the WC universe, they go well beyond that!! On the same plot, the create a whole new storyline...
Let's see what the Baron has to say... :)

[Edited by mpanty on 03-22-2001 at 23:51]

Very difficult to find something specific. Couldn't even find where EW(?) said that games take precedence over books.

Theres simple proof that the games and books coincide. The fact that the Battle of Terra, with the exact same planets that are annihilated, and listed in the book, are mentioned in the Time line for Victory Streak as events happening up to WC3. The book was published before the game was released and the events in it were made officially part of the WCU.

Originally posted by mpanty
...and actually try to make out with him? I disagree monsieur, and I think you are incorrect.. :)

Gimme a break. Are you sheltered or what? You don't know she wasn't sleeping with half the guys on the ship. And sometimes it looked like Catscratch was going to try a make out with Blair.

Back