Tolwyn's silly cape in WC2

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The books were all licensed by Origin -- Origin even got copies to edit before they were printed.

And they're fully canon, equal to games... you're probably thinking of the fact that in a game situation with multiple paths, the novels tell us which paths were taken <G>

(And Maniac's promotion was in the TPOF novel (duh), but the fact that he was *actually* promoted and demoted comes from an AGWC post by Chris McCubbin...)

LOAF, please!! Do we have to get into this once more? ;)

Just compare WC IV, game and novel, and that'll be enough... one of them is canon, both cannot be, so I'm trusting the games...

Blair said the Lexington had the same exact layout as the Concordia, which is why he found the wing commander's quarters so easily. The Concordia(the ship) and the Lexington arent the same class of ship.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Blair said the Lexington had the same exact layout as the Concordia, which is why he found the wing commander's quarters so easily. The Concordia(the ship) and the Lexington arent the same class of ship.

Maybe Confed just likes to standardise its internal layouts?

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The novel, like the game, says that the Lexington is a Concordia class ship. [/QUOTE

And it would be pretty hard to make the case that the ship that we saw in the WC4 game (with its fly through deck) was the same class as the Concordia (Confederation class) we saw in WC2.

Best, Raptor

[Edited by Raptor on 03-22-2001 at 01:58]

I'm sorry Loaf, but there is no way that the game and the book can both be cannon at the same time. There is too many disrepancies.

I suggest that they co-exist until discrepancies are found. If there are discepancies, we should rule in favour of the older, original source, the games.

However, in order to aid our understanding and interpretation of the games, we should look to the novels to 'fill in the blanks' as to say. For example, where there a divergent mission paths, the novel decides on what becomes the canonical mission.

In doing so, we save ourselves much heartache. (sorry people, I've been doing law homework for the past few hours...its rubbed off!)

what you just said would make the games cannon, and the books secondary. Thanks for prooving my point for me!;)

I agree, the games "make the rules", while the books add some extra informations and "fill the time" between the games...

When exactly in WC4 is the Lexington compared with the Concordia? Was it in the game or just in the novel?

I agree with redwolf's suggestion too but the problem is, you can always bend the things so that the facts from the novelsdofit in. Just the way of how to bend them is not sure...
I never realized that "Concordia/Confederation" thing but I think the author just did not know that they looked different. I guess he thought "Hey that ship (Lexington) is of the Concordia class and there has been a Concordia in the other novels, so they will look the same." I think he did not know that the Concordia from WC2 and the Concordia-class from WC4 were two different things.

The idea of a WC canon cracks me up. Is is just me or does it seem as though the WC games/books/movie are riddled with holes/discrepancies? I realize that there are always going to be holes in scifi series (ie Star Wars/Trek, Battlestar Gallatica, et al) but the WCU seems to have more than its fair share. Granted, one can always explain away the inconsistencies, but it seems to me that the WCU requires more explaining that the others.

Yes, the WCU has discrepancies but the ST universe has them too. After all I know there are 3 books filled with ST inconsistencies...

Yes, but it seemed as though the discrepancies weren't as obvious as in WC - you had to look a bit harder. When I saw WCM for the first time, I thought "What the hell!?!" right away.

Re: Canonicity, books vs. games.

So... what happened at Locanda, then?

In Bob Forscthen's (sp) book, the cats bio Locanda. Blair
ain't fast enough on the draw. He also completely fouls
up the first Orsini mission.

I don't know about everyone else here, but I passed both
those missions with flying colors. In fact, both are
so easy it's hard for me to imagine anyone with a modicum
of experience failing to complete the first mission or
stop the bio attack. Fact, in the first mission you don't
really have to *do* anything -- Hobbes kills 'em fast!

From this, I am willing to conclude that the player is
supposed to *win* these missions. The only way not
to is to deliberately lose. Ergo, according to the game,
Locanda was saved.

But in the Forstchen novel, Locanda was destroyed.

So... what actually happened?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Loncanda was bio.....
That is how it work, the novel tell the story.
I dont agree with that (also Origin could "forget" about that and make a timeline were Loncanda was saved [or for us that dont like to lose, the cats had a ship hidden that fire that missile after the Vicory left the system, that make us feel better :)] ) but it the way that official "happened".

LOL Napoleon...
Em... of course we care... good luck and farewell my friend... (where the hell is he going? :D)
:)

Back