Tolwyn's silly cape in WC2

redwolf

Spaceman
Why did Tolwyn has that silly cape in WC2? And was he Admiral Sir Geoffrey Tolwyn? For some reason I remember that on his name plaque.

Perhaps it is tradition. And I did not find it silly, I found it fitting. And I think since he's a British it is quite probable that he is a "sir". :)

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-21-2001 at 06:26]

Wasn't he the commander of the fleet ? Maybe there we're 2 admirals (but that's not something that would be fine. 2 admirals... think of the disagreements...), and he is above it. So he wares a cape, to let him know who is in charge.

I don't think there was another admiral in that fleet, and if there was, wouldn't rank lapels designate who is superior?

Besides, there may be some unspoken agreement as to who is superior.

Nah, cape or not, superior or not, british or not... he's an admiral, maybe he wares the cape because he wants to be superman or batman...

The cape is 'cause he's got *STYLE*!

Anyway, yes, he's (Rear) Admiral Sir Geoffrey Tolwyn -- he's a Knight Commander of the Bath.

I don't think we know of any other Admirals with the 14th fleet...

About That Cape

Orders of Knighthood do have capes/robes but these are only worn for special events. I find it surprising that since Sir Geoffrey was a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath that he does not wear the Star of the Order on his uniform. I will have to find a picture of the Star of the Order for that particular degree. I do have some orders and decorations books in my study. I also find it interesting that he would elevated to this particular order of knighthood as this was the same order bestowed on another famous real world admiral - Horatio Nelson. Hmmm...a comparison of Tolwyn to Nelson in command style/leadership/strategy and tactics ....interesting idea for another thread.

WC2 was not the only time he wore a cape. I believe in the Grand Assembly in WV IV when Taggart introduced him as SAR Chief that he also wore a cape then. It was the same color as his uniform.

MNelson

That would be an interesting topic...

bath.gif
-- is this the proper medal? Found it here: http://www.airforce.ca/citations/medals/gifs/bath.gif .

Anyway, nobody in Wing Commander ever really seem to wear their medals -- only their ribbons...

Order of Knighthood? Whats that?
BTW: In WC3 Tolwyn is a full Admiral, isn't he?
(Again sth strange that in SM2 he is Vice Admiral and in WC2 Rear Admiral. Did he get demoted as Maniac was?)

Tolwyn has a long history of trading stars so he can have combat commands <G>

But he's a Rear Admiral in WC3.

Back