Screenshots Release Thread

That's one of the more impressive capship battles ive seen, and it doesnt even seem to be on the "fleet" level... great work. However, on shot 2... is it me, or are there an awful lot of those hellish yellow AMG bolts flying around?

I'll miss the Blue Balls of Doom though.

Great shots Lynx, especially No. 3 , that was a good lucky shot :)

About the AMG-Bolts, they are subhject to change. These are still our early version. It can be changed quick and will be one of the next things we will do afterthe demo is finished (hint to Lynx impressive To-Do-List :D)

Holy shit. That was worth the wait those are some amazing shots. I think Saga is going to bring WC to the level we would always imagine it to be, I feel a lot of ejects and restarts in my future. Thanks guys...

Blast and double blast....

All I see are red Xs. The shot desciptions sound nice.... It's like being able to smell a thick, juicy angus steak but not being allowed to taste it. Agony, I tell you. Agony!

Maybe it was something I did wrong in my past life...

And, I see Dundradal shares my level of enthusiasm. It's hard not to get carried away when thinking about this project, but I'll restrain myself from any other embarassing/stupid remarks.

Keep it up, and may the red Xs on my screen be replaced with the awesome shots that you have described.

Sphynx

A few weeks back the IP- of our screenshot-server changed, maybe it is still cached
on your machine spynx, try a refresh.

About waiting...well we have another fighter that is nearly complete to be shown and I hope Lynx will release the pic soon.

Spectacular scenes -- great work guys!

Are these three most recent shots repesentative of the most intense scenario's or are there even more action-packed missions of the campaign with more ships/installations/objects/etc onscreen at once? In terms of peformance, are you guys able use high levels of FSAA and anisotropic filtering (e.g. 4xAA/8xAF or higher) in the above scenes and still achieve playable framerates on a fairly up-to-date pc?

I'm really looking forward to WC Saga.

Cheers,

BrynS

Those screenshots don't really represent the graphical standards since I just took them in one of my test missions - they weren't intended to be shown off her, I just posted them since people wanted to see something new and I thought the action on this pictures is good.
The campaign missions have everything better, more, better background nebulas/planets etc., installations and other places and such, and the grapical effects are better too there when you turn 32 bit graphics on. The engine trails, some weapon effects, textures backgrounds and everything looks worlds better.

About the performance, it's quite playable on lower end system too as far as I know(I think about 700-1000Mhz are minimum for stable gameplay, and a fast graphics card).

Thanks for the update, Lynx.

The visuals shown in this thread already appear generations beyond previous Wing Commander games -- the dedication you guys have for this project is plain to see!

I can't wait to play the game in action.

BrynS

I would say even a Geforce 3Ti should be sufficient. I have to run a few tests though.

There is still 640 resolution and an option to use standard low resolution maps. So it is still possible to get the game running on slower systems. Two important things however: you may have a slow cpu, but you need a powerful gpu. 512mb ram will also improve game performance dramatically.

I find it heartening to think that for the first time in years I may have to upgrade to get full visuals and performance from a WC game...

Maybe this will ease your fear, guys.

My old system was :

Pentium 4, 2.0 Ghz, 512 MB Ram, GF4 TI 4200 (64 MB), W98SE

And I always played 1024x768x32, Glowmaps and tga-background enabled.
Besides some minor situations, where really big battles go on, I had around 40 FPS. It should even work when you enable spec-maps.

Most FPS-drops I encountered where more related to code-bugs and missing LOD's (which I'm currently working on).

One thing I have to mention is, that the newest *.exe-files sometimes have loading problems, which seem to be a problem of my W98. They are certainly also related to some bugs or even my machine.

So relax :)

As far as I know it depends more on the graphics card, so it doesn't really matter if you have 1.6 or3 Ghz but more if you have something like Gforce2 vs. Radeon X800.

For example, I've got a pretty powerful system, but a GF4 MX only so it stutters in actionheavy places.

Finally something new in the screenshots release thread that has to do with with screenshots. :p

I'm posting this here since the model has been shown ealier and just has new textures so it deasn't need a full blown own thread.

Here is the WC 3 style retextured Sabre that will be used in WCS main campaign. Model is done by Eder, textures by me. It'll make only a brief appearence as InSys and Reserve squadron fighter in some misssions and will not be flown by the player as far as I know.

Attachments

• SabreA.JPG
    SabreA.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 716
Some more(this parts are ingame screenies, I cut them out since if the images were bigger, the jpg compression would have to be higher and it'd look like feces then) with ingame engine effects and metal shine applied.

Attachments

• Sabre2.jpg
    Sabre2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 702
  • Sabre1.jpg
    Sabre1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 711
Back