'Scenes of McAuliffe' WIP Thread

still in progress, its just a purpetual WIP. haven't had a lot of time to dedicate to it of late, and thats about to change. its one of those, as i get time kind of projects. heheh. have no fear mate.

Brad Mick

aight, just to re-affirm folks...here are some sketches i did a while back and forgot to upload. enjoy :) this is my solution for the Kilrathi Pre-War Bomber :)

gamora.jpg

gamora_2.jpg

Looks good... but the torpedo wasn't around before the Action Stations timeline... unless there was other massive tube-fired ordinance laying around it'd be more of a bolt-on affiar, I think.

the torpedo was developed by the cats following their research or whatever you want to call it into into the Panama War games. The Battle of McAuliffe was the first time it was used. those aren't torps on it either, they're fixed landing gear. the torpedo is slung under the hull.

Didn't the Kilrathi first developed the torpedo or was it that they just build the first functional one?
Well whatever the concept look very WC2ish and fits well to the other concept arts you have shown.
It also look somehow heavy...maybe make the wings a little bit more massive, but the entire ship allready suggests a heavy design.

hmm....actually, i think you're right....confed came up with it in theory, the cats actually put it into practice. i think thats how it went, i'll have to check with LOAF, or hope he peeks his head in to clarify :)

Humans developed the theory and the initial technology behind torpedoes - the Kilrathi took that information and turned it into a practical weapon (which they premiered at McAuliffe).

So, "scientifically" humans have torpedoes first... but the Kilrathi are the first to make them work and are the first to use them in combat.

heres two quickie concept models of a possible kilrathi carrier design. there's no detail, and no refinement. just really quick block meshes to get the idea of the shape down. Length for this bad boy rolls in at 735m for the one without the forward 'lip'. enjoy :)

concept_carrier_1.jpg

concept_carrier_2.jpg

Looks good, I like the concept, however does seem to have a bit of a "Terran" feel to it if you know what I mean. No sharp dagger looking parts to it. :)

As I recall Brad, you said this WIP was your "re-imagined" version, mixing concepts from the games and the movie together. In that regard, those ships look exactly the way I imagined they would. Excellent job. Keep up the good work. ;)

I am leaning towards the first version though. It has the external engines that we know so well from Kilrathi ships in WC1-2. Very nice.

well, its not so much re-imagined, as a fabrication. the idea though is to keep it in line with established WC design styles, mainly grabbing from WC 1, 2, and the movie. the only known designs known to be around are some from the movie, and a couple from WC 1, the rest all have to be created.

thanks for the compliments, i haven't decided which i like better yet. i think i'm leaning towards the second. that one kind of developed out of the first after talking to LOAF. i'll probably do a few more, see if i can't really do something kind of...radical maybe. dunno, we'll see :)

here's one more of the revisions. just playin around, i think the design has pretty well been settled on, just a matter of realising it now :)

concept_carrier_3.jpg

BradMick said:
ahh, but only in the later games did the cats have sharp dagger points.

They actually have them on their dreadnoughts in the movie, of sorts ... if you can call the long pointy-needle array things "daggers". I always thought they sort of looked like a toned-down WCA carrier.

Mh while the other model is quite closer to a Ranger class this one seams to be closer to the movie dreadnoughtor whatever it was.
Since I didn't liked the WCM designes very much I would like to see a more WC1 like ship, but this one fits quite good with the moviestyle you wanted to do.
Only think with this model is that it make me feel like I am standing on my head...aka up-side-down effekt ^_^
I would turn it around...then it fits quite well to the Kilrathi Destroyer seen in the movie and Starlancer.

Back