Let me get this straight...

Were that the case I would assume that there is some kind of 'Galatic' standard measurement of time. If humans moved from Earth to Anhur I would think that they would preserve the time system - look at the pilgrims going to America - they didn't start a new time system.

I don't know whether they would or not. But you can't compare pilgrims-who go to another continent and pilgrims going to another planet (if the planet is very different from earth considering the day-night-rythmus...there can be a difference between earth-days and planet-days...so they can count on with the earth-time or they create a new one for their planet...).But I also think they will still use earth time (it is like the Moslem,the Christian and the Jewish-calender on earth...they are all different...but the official is the Christian).

Right - but the pilgrims COULD have started a new time system. My point in bringing up the pilgrim reference was to demonstrate that we (humans) would tend to want to preserve our system of time -regardless of where we move to. Would we expect a human that colonizes a planet with an year similar to Pluto's to age super slow? What would they say their age is after 10 earth years?

[Edited by Marcml30 on 02-15-2001 at 12:32]

This is the problem...but maybe we'll be so far,that a human will become much older...if the factors of our cell-biology become changed.So maybe it won't matter, because we are able to live with the changed conditions and they become because of the other planet-circumstances much older than the people on earth...(I think I just read too much SF).

Yep, I think this whole discussion is moot as it stems from trying to fit P2 into the WC universe. And it's pretty obvious that P2 is part of the WC universe by only the thinnest of threads.

Perhaps if there were suttle elements of WC in the game it might be more believable to be a part of WC. Elements such as a few Confed carriers or even a base. I read on here that as big as Confed would be if P2 takes place a few hundred years after WCP, wouldnt Confed still be around? Or could it be that P2 actually intended to begin a whole new universe, and that they (EA/OSI) decided to just add some entries in the databases and printed material to give it a feel of P2 in the WC universe. Kinda hard to determine when comparing Privateer where there was no doubt it was a part of the main WC universe. What would be more interesting if they (EA/OSI) continued with the Privateer 3 game and see if it took place in current WC universe time, as did Privateer and Rightious Fire. But we may never know since that project was cancled. The saga continues!

RFBurns

"Just a passing merchant, dont get jumpy!" [merchants, Privateer/RF]

Hello everyone!
This is my first post to this Forum, so please do not yell at me if I do something wrong.

I also had problems to figure out how P2TD fits in the WCU.If just play the game and read the manual you get the impression it is a totally new universe because you do not see anything familiar. Now that Talon you can meet, I always thought of it as a joke done by the developers, an easter egg (is that the right word for it?). And the transports which are allowed to ferry goods to the Confederation, well I imagined that some of the planets and/or bases of the Tri System formed a loose confederation, a trade union or something. So I thought it was a different universe but I did not know that Origin stated it would be a part of the universe, so I think we have to accept it, even if we do not like it. I do not like it all.
And the one point that made me quit my shyness and post:
Everyone is complaining that they are all British in the game. Well be lucky, it is at least roughly the same language as American. I am a German and I never encounter anyone of my people that plays a role in WC and very few Europeans at all. But I do not complain why everyone is Britisch or American and a few Asians in the WCUniverse
And what cliché: the only ship with a German name is the TCS Blitzkreig, arrg. (It is even misspelled, Blitzkrieg would be correct).
The only possible German I remember is that president of the Landreich,(Kruger?). Does that mean all Germans wandered
into the periphery?
I just realize that for a first post it is quite long, so I will quit now.
I apologize if my English is horrible.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Hello everyone!
This is my first post to this Forum, so please do not yell at me if I do something wrong.

Welcome! Dont worry, we all make mistakes. :) Enjoy your visits to CIC Chat Zone!

RFBurns

"All goods in order, proceed!" [CIS, Privateer 2 TD]

I think that the issue of nationality in WC or Prophecy is really something you just have to accept. In my opinion, the idea of a space system made up almost entirely of British accent is a bit hard to swallow - but one must accept it. If anyone has read 3001 (sequel to 2010) the author raised an interesting point which I had never thought of until reading the book. In it, he shows an earth where continental boundaries/borders have broken down to the point where there is no black/white/asian/etc. Time and intermarriage has completely mixed everything together - even dialects/accents have been melded.

It is a much better alternative to universes where Americans dominate everything! I prefer WC for it's majority Britishness

Just because the actors you meet in P2 are british, that doesnt mean everybody is british...
The actors are, just that. If the actors were french, that doesnt means the entire sector is populated by french people.
Also you dont meet everyone in the sector.;)

If humans moved from Earth to Anhur I would think that they would preserve the time system . . .

If we moved to another planet (leaving behind others on Earth we still cared about), we would certainly keep track of the time on Earth, but we would not “preserve” as in use the same calendar unless our new planet allowed for ~24-hour days and ~365-day years.

You’re overlooking the practicalities of why we have calendars at all. Apart from being biologically “clocked” to observe the passing of “day into night” and “summer into fall”, etc., life would be chaotic in the extreme if we failed to live “in sync” with the regular cycles of our new environment.

I think this whole discussion is moot . . . it's pretty obvious that P2 is part of the WC universe by only the thinnest of threads.

Just how is it “thin”?

If you mean because there are no reliable references to WC’s Confederation in the game (and I’d agree with you that the interpretation of those references is very problematical), so what? Why do any references to the rest of the WC universe have to be made in the game at all?

Are you seriously arguing that Origin is “not free” to conceive of a civilization in another part of the WC universe–BTW, that could also include another galaxy–that as yet has had no contact with us humans (or alternatively has had contact but the fact is pretty much “beside the point” of the main story line)? If that’s your complaint, then that’s an aesthetic argument (i.e., how you would have chosen to write the story) and not any valid argument about WC canon (i.e., how Origin has chosen to write the story).

For myself, I’m grateful Origin has transported us to a non-Confed corner of the WC universe. Travel broadens the mind as they say. Here’s hoping we get a future game devoted exclusively to the Double-Helix, the Firekkans, the humbled Kilrathi, or yet another previously unknown society.

On the other hand, if by “thin” you mean to argue that Origin’s statement on its Web site should not be considered canon, then I have to assume, in the name of consistency, that you feel the same way about any and all “outside-the-game” statements found in Origin’s game manuals, its official guides, Forstchen’s novels, etc. Yes?

[T]he idea of a space system made up almost entirely of British accent is a bit hard to swallow . . .

Why are you swallowing it at all?:) You’re not suggesting, are you, that in the various scenes in WC2 and WC3, for example, or in Forstchen’s novels, the Kilrathi are actually speaking English? On the matter of canon, similar to how we cannot always trust the graphics we see in the games, we cannot always trust the speech we hear (including accents).

1. Yes, I would believe that emmigrating humans would preserve the system of time - if we have 200 planets all with different calendar years can you imagine how difficult it would be to refer to an event on a different planet's calendar? Talk about chaos. No, once we become a spacefaring race I envision a standard timekeeping system.

2. The link to the WC Universe is incredibly thin! As someone posted earlier, you could play just a few missions from WC1-IV and Privateer and KNOW that they were all part of the same universe. You can't say the same about P2. If you look at the different Trek series they can all be fairly easily identified as part of the Trek universe even though they span different periods of space and time. I have no problem with the P2 universe itself but I believe that it was advertised as part of the WCU simply to generate a few extra dollars from WC loyalists.

3. As far as the accents go, I just would have liked to see a wider diversity of them. It would have given the game more of a "galatic" feel.

Originally posted by Marcml30
The link to the WC Universe is incredibly thin!
But it does exist... And no one ever said that a WC game must have Confed or Kilrathi...

As someone posted earlier, you could play just a few missions from WC1-IV and Privateer and KNOW that they were all part of the same universe. You can't say the same about P2.
You don't necessarly can say that about the first Priv either... It's a spin-off game, and while it does show some fighters used in the mainstream games, as well as mentions of Confed and Kilrathi, it isn't that similar to the main WC games.

I have no problem with the P2 universe itself but I believe that it was advertised as part of the WCU simply to generate a few extra dollars from WC loyalists.
Same thing can be said of any other WC spin-off.

3. As far as the accents go, I just would have liked to see a wider diversity of them. It would have given the game more of a "galatic" feel.
The game was made in UK, so the actors were British, just like most if not all of the actors had american acents when the games were made in the US.

I have no problem with the P2 universe itself but I believe that it was advertised as part of the WCU simply to generate a few extra dollars from WC loyalists.
Same thing can be said of any other WC spin-off.
Not true from my perspective. When I bought WC2-IV, Armada, Academy, & Privateer I felt I got games that were part of the WCU though not all along the same storyline. Not the case with P2.

[O]nce we become a spacefaring race I envision a standard timekeeping system.

Yes, an interplanetary traveler will find such a system very useful. But a homebody will undoubtedly use a local calendar and clock to plan for that “sunrise breakfast” with his/her sweetheart on New Valentine’s Day.

When I bought WC2-IV, Armada, Academy, & Privateer I felt I got games that were part of the WCU though not all along the same storyline. Not the case with P2.

As I suspected, you’re making an aesthetic argument that has nothing to do with WC canon.

He means a standart year (since the time that a planet will take to make a full orbit around the system star(s) will be not be the same for two planets), not standart time.

Originally posted by Nemesis
As I suspected, you’re making an aesthetic argument that has nothing to do with WC canon.
Yes you could say that my argument deals with the aesthetics of P2 but I think that Origin's claim that P2 is part of the WCU was almost an afterthought. Look, one can write a story set in a similar time period, in a similar space system, and make a few obscure references to the WCU and call it part of the WCU - but who are they fooling?

I think that by claiming it was part of the WCU, Origin mislead the buyer. And, yes, they can call any game whatever they want eg "Need for Speed IV - Part of the WC Universe!". But an accurate ad would read "P2: Part of the WCU so far removed from WC1-4 & Privateer That you won't recognize it!"

Back