Let me get this straight...

I dont recall any reference to Confed at all in P2. I believe P2 was supposed to be a totally different universe than WC. I think that they pasted Privateer 2 to the original title "The Darkening" due to the demand from fans for a new privateer game. In fact, the story line, sub plots etc do not refer Sir Aris as a "Privateer". I think it was to satisfy the need for a new privateer game. It would have made sense to continue from Privateer Rightious Fire as did the WC games. Then there is the timeline thing. Since the universe is one universe, maybe the Tri-System is some distance away from Confed space, as well as a totally different timeline, but they shoved it into the WC timeline so that we all felt it was a part of WC. Maybe thats why so much does not "fit" with the well known WC timeline.

RFBurns

"I didnt see you, and youre blind got it!" [pirate, Privateer/RF]

Burngs: Just becuase you don;t remember it being there does not make it exist any less. Just look at what LOAF has said about it, he gives examples of the 17+ of the mentioning of CONFED

it is well documented that the proper P2 was cancelled when chris roberts left OSI
also that as a result, the entirely seperate The darkening was renamed P2 to fill the huge demand and annoyance at the loss of P2, i dont recall any Confed references in p2, but i havent finished it yet, (so there might be some) also just because you have FTL does not mean you will take over somewhere, the galaxy is 100 million light years wide, and there is no guarantee that the tri system is even in our galaxy. it is therefore safe to assume that the WC and P2 universes are one, but not connected, it does provide an interesting problem in that any future WC games must lead to that, (a retreat by humanity such as that aces monolith story, the one about an "arc" whcih left our galaxy) or perhaps a similar storyline to Battlestar galactica ie many human homeworlds, and suggested loss of technology over time, or even alien seeding of planets, but this is all academic, the point is P2 can be WC

Whatever the references, they (Origin) did a pretty poor job in convincing the player that P2 was part of the WC Univ. I'll bet if you throw WC1-4 & P1 at a gamer they will be able to tell that they are all part of same universe after playing them for a short time. I don't think that would be true with P2. Whatever references are in P2 seem to be contrived simply to live up to the claim of "...part of the WC Universe..." But hey, it was still an okay game. ;)

Originally posted by Napoleon
Burngs: Just becuase you don;t remember it being there does not make it exist any less. Just look at what LOAF has said about it, he gives examples of the 17+ of the mentioning of CONFED

I do still play P2 regularly. In fact, my desktop has shortcuts for P2, Privateer, WC1, WC2, WC3 and WC4. As to P2 and Confed, many would think that the CIS is tied with Confed. Well, it isnt. There is absolutely no reference at all in P2 about Confed. If you play P2 all the way thru, you will see what I mean. Id like to know where the 17+ mentions of Confed in P2 are, cause they arent on my version of the game. :)

RFburns

"Youre no match for me!" [Kilrathi, WCP]

Re: I have a refference to p2 being part of the wing commander universe.

Originally posted by Valiento
I have the privateer gold version. On it is a avi commercial for priv 2: the darkening. In it is says "In privatteer II you explore an unfamiliar system in the wing commander universe."

[Edited by Valiento on 02-09-2001 at 14:11]

Perhaps in the promo avi of P2 there is reference, but I am talking about the game play itself! Play it thru and find out for yourselves!

RFBurns

"I shall mount your bones in my hull!" [Kilrathi, Privateer/RF]

I seem to remember someone posting before that P2 could have been set hundreds of years after Secret Ops, and that the CIS is the remnants of the Confederation.

Not a bad theory. Explains the lack of Confed, which is "a much bigger machine than we can possibly imagine." A bit depressing, though, that everything we fought for in WC 1-Secret Ops goes down the pan. Having said that, everything Ghandi fought for went down, too.

well, P2 is supposed to take place roughly 100 years after WCP, but then again they talk about being there for 2000 years which doesn't jive. Probably something they missed when trying to make it fit in with WC.

The 2000 year thing is said to be part of the Anhurian Humanist religion belief.. I think..

Originally posted by ChrisReid
The 2000 year thing is said to be part of the Anhurian Humanist religion belief.. I think..

Indeed. In the game's public records on the Anhurian people, it says something about their religion as reigning for 2000 years. Ive gone thru that game over and over just to try to find any tid bit of WC or Confed in it. Have yet to find anything except for the promo avi, package and other printed material, but as to the game itself, nilch!

RFBurns

"All goods in order, proceed!" [CIS, Privateer 2]

P2 and Confed/WC

Oh I forgot to mention, in P2, there is a mission you fly for the CIS special ops division. You fly to a nav point and pick up a pilot, presumably a CIS pilot cause if you target his ship, it appears green like all the CIS ships do. But if you take a closer look at his ship, it is remarkably similar in size and design to the Talon class fighter, which of course is a WC universe ship. Other than this, I still cant find any real reference that WC universe and the P2 universe were meant to be the same or same timeline. That ship that the mystery pilot was in just sits there and spins slowly around and around. It appeared to have a slightly modified nose section, but had the familiar swept upward wings and main body. That might have been an attempt to link P2 to the WC universe, but if anyone really wanted to find out if it was supposed to be apart of WC, we should ask the creator of that game, and that is Erin Roberts.

RFBurns

"How can this be?!" [Kindred, Privateer 2]

In the planetary decriptions it says things like: Supplyes ore for Confed, ect. That is what LOAF said, please LOAF please educate this ignormaus of a person

Originally posted by Madman
the entirely seperate The darkening was renamed P2 to fill the huge demand and annoyance at the loss of P2,
No, actually, according to EA/OSI, Privateer: The Darkening had the two added to it when P2 was cancelled. Originally it was suposed to be just another game or a spin off in the Privateer series but not conected to the first game.

But is there any Confed ships flying around, cap ship or otherwise? Is there any reference in the main story line or sub plots? Can you deliver those supplies of ore for Confed to an actuall Confed base or ship? Are any of the destinations in the Tri-System actually labeled or called anything that refers to Confed? My whole point in this thread is that there is no real reference to WC or Confed or any link to make the player think that he is flying around in a system that is part of Confed. At least not like it is in Privateer and Rightious Fire. In those, you actually could land on Perry Naval base, which is a Confed base, talk to Confed officers, partake in missions for Confed, fight the Kilrathi along side Confed. That alone should convince you.

RFBurns

Burns: P2TD is taking place in a reletivly out of the way part of the universe with the gameplay centered on the Tri-System, saying can you deliver it to confed is like in P1 saying "Why can't I fly to Earth?" it is becuase the designers wanted to concentrate on a specific area. Second, as has repeatedly been said P2TD is taking place 109 years AFTER WCSO so asking why there aren;t any references to it, is like asking "How come there aren't any references to the Spanish-American War" or for the K-T war asking how come in the life of a UPS man or even a merchant "How come in my profession I never hear about the US Civil War" the reason is that that historically singnificant event holds no importance for our hero's quest as such it is not mentioned to much

So even tho there is this big gap in the timeline and arguments about how inaccurate the timeline is between WC and P2 I have no grounds to inquery? Well BAH! I didnt start this, just adding what I observe. I think there are others that tend to agree there is something missing or strange with WC and P2. If not, why the heck are all these threads questioning it? And by the number of responses, seems there still remains a real true answer to it all. I still think that if anyone wanted to know the answers, the game creator is the person who would know more than us by a long shot! And that person is Erin Roberts.

nuff said

RFBurns

Not in the least, it is just a jump in time and off the main course. Is Star Trek Voyager less of a trek becuase it happens 70,000 light years away?

Back