Kilrathi War Casualties

No, but I wouldn't mind some of those Talons...just for the novelty of having one...

Yeah, a lot of environmental groups are rather militant. They don't seem to realize the problem lies with governments...more regulations and more enforcement of those regulations, and we'd see results.

Originally posted by Frosty
I believe taking steps is the proper thing to do, just not wacko ones. A lot of environmentalist groups tend to be more militant anti-people groups than anything else. And in some cases, as I stated in a post a few months back, sometimes people are beneficial.
I apologise, then - I obviously misunderstood you.

As for oil, I think we should suck it all out of the ground. We need it for plastic. And I'd still prefer a gas engine in my car for now.
Quite, quite right. Though cleaner, more efficient methods of extraction wouldn't hurt either...

Natural resources are there for us to use, not abuse. Of course, the difficulty is determining what's the difference.

And it is true, learning how to make use of our environment in a sustainable manner is important, but some environmentalists do indeed take unneccessary and often destructive stances.

I think "terroristic" might be a better word. Did you hear about those guys burning down suburban houses? The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Well they call S11 and M1 'protests' when they're really 'riots'. I suppose... how do you call them... euphemisms sound nicer. :)

Oh I have no time for those protestors. Screaming bunch of anarchists. They knocked Police off their horses! Poor horsies! :)

They're just thugs. Like the bloke who got pulled aside by a television reporter. The man was protesting against companies like Nike, but he had Nikes on. The reporter had a field day about it.

However, I DO agree with some of the points of the legitimate protestors. We must curb multinational powers, we must curb if not stop harm to the environment, we must increase the lot of ALL workers.

The fact is, no, we as yet cannot DESTROY the planet Earth yet, because its a chuck of rock 40000km in circumference. However, we are quite able to destroy the ecosystem that lives on/in Earth.

Look at all the crowded places in the world. Do you notice any place that can be inhabited? Antarctica? no, too cold for settlement. Amazon jungle? No, we need those tree for air, Earth's lungs. The Australian desert? No, too arid for large scale human settlement.

The truth is what land that is suitable for large scale settlement HAS been taken up already...and is being increasingly populated. Look at India. One Billion people in a small area. Things aren't going too good for them. China's east coast. Crowded. Shanghai alone has more people that Australia's total population. Japan? Well, if you want intergenerational loans of 100 years for a small one room apartment and you think we can populate the Earth some more? HEY THIS LIFESTYLE IS FOR YOU!

Personally, I'd rather live where I do, not too many people and whilst there are some environmental problems, they aren't anywhere near as bad as some other places of the world.

Please, we need to reduce the world's population. NOT increase it! Someone just TRY to give me a convincing argument otherwise. I would really like to hear some of the reasons!

My apologies for that last post in bold, I didn't clean it up properly :(

[Edited by redwolf on 05-08-2001 at 04:13]

Originally posted by redwolf

Please, we need to reduce the world's population. NOT increase it! Someone just TRY to give me a convincing argument otherwise. I would really like to hear some of the reasons!
[Edited by redwolf on 05-08-2001 at 04:13]

Good post Redwolf, but I think I can give you a semi-good reason relating to this last comment. I'm no expert but I think this is a hard one to make people agree on, simply because the act of increasing the population is something people seem to enjoy quite a bit.

I guess you could always tax sex ... that might help the population problem :)

That wasn't exactly the type of answer I was hoping for :)

That's why my girlfriend is on the pill!!! :D

And I guess if people don't want the pill, there are always other cheap alternatives...plus a few that are a few more expensive. But at AUD$10-30 a month, thats pretty cheap by western standards!

I think we *do* need to ruin our planet with overpopulation, if only to force the space program to advance itself. :)

There's no way you can STOP overpopulation. You can try to make people not want to have alot of kids like they do in China, but some people are just determined. Maybe we just need another really big war. That'll solve things!

Or we could round up all the non-contributing people and exucute them. (Note heavy sarcasm)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I think we *do* need to ruin our planet with overpopulation, if only to force the space program to advance itself. :)

Its gonna take alot more than "overpopulation" to get the space program up to snuff. The way society is, I dont think anyone on Earth would qualify to represent Earth on a galactic scale. Man is still to "antiquated". Man would rather kill one another. Use methods of energy that ruin the environment. Until mankind changes these things, there wont be any reason to venture byond our sphere. You have to rid the world of the "backstabbers" first. And many of those backstabbers are in high places, which makes it even more difficult.

RFB

Either that, or Bill Gates or someone just as rich can start a private program and make billions more dollars selling the technology.

I don't care whether or not we're killing eachother -- as long as we do it in space!

LOL!! Well if it gets us in space sooner, Im for it, just make shure you're targeting the right target!! :)

RFB

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Either that, or Bill Gates or someone just as rich can start a private program and make billions more dollars selling the technology.

Well NASA is largely a private venture at this point anyway. Once more modern prupulsion technologies like the ramjet are perfected and made widely available by manufacturers like Lockheed and Boeing, I believe a lot of private space ventures will "take off" so to speak.

I think we should all get drunk and then go into space :)

My logic is brilliant, yes?

The Russians, at one point, were selling a Proton launch vehicle for $10 million US...If you were wealthy, you could just buy one and launch yourself into space...which is precisely what what's-his-name just did...

I think it's incredibly selfish, what he did. Think of how that $30 million a day, was it? Could be better spent...

Um..I don't think it's selfish. If I had that kind of money i'd do it.

And he didn't launch himself into space, did he? I thought he went up with a Russian crew in a russian shuttle

He did in fact launch with a Russian crew aboard a Russian launch vehicle. Quite frankly, it is time for NASA to quit being "stingy" with space. They dont need another 30 years of tests. Its time for civies to get a chance to experience space. Its almost like they want to ban all people except their chosen few to go into space. Well BLAH to that! Who are they to deny us the final frontier! Before long, some wealthy people will start their own space program and build their own vehicles and say "Go fly a kite NASA".

RFB

Back