Kilrathi War Casualties

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You're confusing reality with Star Trek: The Next Generation. Provide facts, not "WE AS HUMANS MUST DEVELOP BEFORE WE CAN CONTACT THE BEAUTIFUL ALIENS! PEACE AND LOVE!". That's *not* an argument.

It wasnt meant as an argument to begin with. Fact is, there still remains individuals in the world who would be more than happy to use any technological advancements to take over the world. How are we to know what their reasons are. But as a whole, humanity has a long way to go. Shure there are a few who can handle it, its the masses you have to deal with. For every 1 good person in the world there are 100 bad persons. Some as bad as blowing up a building and killing children. Now I ask you, If YOU were the alien race with all this high tech stuff which could wreak havoc on Earth, would you be willing to just "hand it over" and be responsible for the consiquences that follows? We still have pitty power struggles in this world. Think about it. That is the reality, not science fiction. And it is also fact.

(watch the news often, see the fighting going on all over the world)

RFB

You are still assuming that aliens would somehow be so much more enlightened than we are. That's not necessarily the case.

It could go either way tho. They may be, they may not be. What if they are more enlightened? What if they arent? Thats my whole point. We simply do not know what their reasons would be in hiding themselves from the world. But something tells me that if there is an alien race with highly advanced hardware to get them from one star to another, wouldnt they have done away with those that only think of themselves and want everything to themselves, like there are still some of those types here on Earth? It may be birds chirping and gardens growing in your neighborhood, but the world involves not just your back yard, plenty of violence and war going on, some still going on after centuries. I just try to see it from their point of view. And if they are advanced to a point where they can travel from one star to another, they can shure monitor our transmissions with ease. What we see, they will see. From what is being displayed on the news lately, there still is alot of struggles and wars going on. If they are out there watching the human race, what would you see if you were one of them?

RFB

No, that's *not* an argument or reality -- it's a question you asked. I, for one, don't equate ADMITTING THAT YOU EXIST with handing over technology. Aircraft carriers exist, go build one!

If we're dealing with your theoretical aliens that operate on a level that's so utterly unbelievable that we can't possibly understand it, then why do they have our antiquated morals system? And why do you claim that the government knows about them? I find it hard to believe that there's a single secret government with my best interests at heart...

Nop, I think that everybody pays with latinum, see DS9 and others chapters od TNG,when someone of the UFP buy something from others empires, what is the currency ????
mmhhh.... Gold-latinum.

there were lots of Ferangi on DS9. And I'm not saying that Starfleet doesn't use currency for other factions, just that they have no currency within itself.

I never said that all is gardens and flowers, I know more than most of those around me just how ubiquitous war is. Let's face it, the human race has never known real peace. The most we've seen is pauses in the killing. The world is a nasty, brutish, and violent place, which is why we need soldiers. I'm just saying that the idea that aliens are any better is unlikely at best, and usually used to preach at us by self-righteous sci-fi authors who think that human nature can actually change.

I, for one, don't equate ADMITTING THAT YOU EXIST with handing over technology.

I couldn't agree more. Besides, it seems to me the first favor we’re going to ask of our “new friends” is not to hand over their weapons tech, but instead to share their social, economic, and medical “successes”–the very know-how that could do wonders to bridge the yawning gaps between the world’s stable and unstable nations.

In this same vein, the notion that an alien race will adopt a “wait-and-see” attitude towards a civilization like ours begs the question. Just why, precisely, are they waiting? If the presumption is that extraterrestrials will not care to make contact until we develop the same sort of “maturity”--whatever that may mean--that they possess, then why-oh-why won’t they perforce make contact in order to help us achieve that goal to whatever extent they can? In sum, it's hard to conceive of "shy aliens" in terms that have much if anything to do with concerns over the so-called human condition.

They have credits that they can use with systems that do use money, like the Ferengi. But as a citizen of the Federation, you in no way need money to get anything you want. Especially on Earth. Just dont need it.

Back