Kilrathi War Casualties

Waiting for NASA to do what? What is there to gain to go farther into the solar system right now.. or develop a facility on the moon?

Aren't there more.. pressing matters here on terra firma?

Originally posted by Gagarin
Aren't there more.. pressing matters here on terra firma?

Not really. At least nothing in the same category. Forsaking space really holds no advantages.

[Edited by Frosty on 05-10-2001 at 20:54]

how little you all are actually paying (directed at you complaining statsiders)
it was less than $1 each but that probably was before the most recient cuts.

Hehehe that's a funny observation. I never even noticed that, though I doubt that it's 100% accurate.

Going back to the ancient civilization thing, we do know that some of those ancient civilizations were defiantly more advanced than we originally thought. I was reading an article in some kind of magazine that was titled "Who discovered America?". So I was all, like, yeah it was that Viking guy. Apparently, it was father back than that. They found ancient Pheoneceian tablets outside of Philadelphia apparently. I thought that was pretty cool.

And the monks during the Dark Ages did save a good deal of civilization. The only problem was that religions of the time tried to keep people down. They didn't want them getting smart so they could control them. If whoever came with that great idea..umm...didn't come up with that idea, the Dark Ages wouldn't really have happened. But instead the only people with real access to this stuff were monks and preists and the like.

Then the stupid Europeans could have still benefited from other cultures farther East. The Arabs had great medicine, but Europeans didn't accept it. There was one story about a soldier during one of the crusades was injured and was to have his leg amputated. An Arab doctor came by and said he could heal the man. The preist/doctor convinced the man that the Arab would kill him and lopping off his leg was the only option. Turns out this man died of shock. Sucks for him...

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Then the stupid Europeans could have still benefited from other cultures farther East.

In Southern Europe (Portugal and Spain, mostly) the arabic ocupation and influence was very big. That is shown in the architecture, language and many other aspects of modern life.
Oh yeah, please don't call the Europeans stupids. Thank You.

A few points...

First things first. Which group are we talking about when we say "discovered America"? After all, the FIRST people to discover America are all the Southern and Northern American Indians.

Europeans is a different story. The conventional way was of course Columbus. However, vikings following in the footsteps of Lief Ericsson did in fact 'find' America around 1000AD, a good 500 years before Columbus. Phoenicians, if they did reach America, were still 20000 years too late. The Indians got there first when they crossed the Baring Sea's land bridge.

With regards to Ancient cultures: Pyramids developed from Ziggurats? The Great Pyramid of Cheops was built around 2700BC, around 1000 years before the Ziggurat of Ur which is Babylonian in origin. It would rather be the other way around.

However how they built those structures and now that they LAST is amazing! (I just saw the Mummy Returns :)) Not to mention the geographic and geometric accuracy!

I truly wonder about whether there was a great ancient civilization. I'd say if it was anything near the technological capacity of ours, we would have found MANY ruins, not just bits and pieces. You can't hide something THAT big for THAT long!

Re Dark Ages: The effect of the Dark Ages wasn't much. I personally used to think it was, yet the developments of the Arabs (who kept certain sciences alive during the Dark Ages/Medievel times) were all researched during the Renaissance. However, I'd say given our present rate of technological change, we would have been years ahead if all civilization was continuous.

I would love right now to be either fighting Kilrathi (WC) or Minbari (B5)...or the occasional Borg or Klingon! Not to mention getting my hands on an Orion slave girl! MUAHAHAHA :)

At two dollars a-muther-fucking-gallon of gasoline, I could care less about space.

Use this damn technology elsewhere...

You know we'd just fuck space up too.

Spending two dollars for a gallon of gas is like spending eighty dollars for a computer game -- a number people use when they want to complain.

Re: A few points...

Originally posted by redwolf
However, I'd say given our present rate of technological change, we would have been years ahead if all civilization was continuous.

I am not sure of that. For instance roman were great engineers but very poor scientists. Furthermore, they were bad sailors (they even couldn't cross the mediteranean see in one time), and I think that it is earth exploration which gave Science it's "acceleration".

Re: A few points...

Originally posted by redwolf
I would love right now to be either fighting Kilrathi (WC)

Well I think the fight would not be equal : I do not think they have the hability to travel (and fight) in space right now. All you would have to fight with would be Kilrathi peons :D

Originally posted by Gagarin
What is there to gain to go farther into the solar system right now.. or develop a facility on the moon?

Well, it could help to develop new technologies. For instance computer engineering gained a lot with the Apollo program.

And don't forget that every journey begins with a first step...

Re: Re: A few points...

Originally posted by Sadic

Well I think the fight would not be equal : I do not think they have the hability to travel (and fight) in space right now. All you would have to fight with would be Kilrathi peons :D

* Says ReDWoLF the Magnificent to a platoon of Kilrathi ground troops/peons....

BRING IT ON *grrrrrrowl*

We'd get our asses handed to us in a damned sling, if we even went up against a lowborn Kilra'hra...

We could go to Mars for $25 billion...refer to the "Mars Direct" plan. In fact, there's a private corporation offering $26 billion if they go to Mars...

On a similar note, has anyone ever seen "Capricorn 1"? ;)

Back