Is Palpatine Darth Sidious?

well u dont seem to be a true starwars fan if your not dissipointed.. though i am and i speak for at least the millions of ppl on the starwars boards including the comics and books section.

how can infineties be cannon, if its just an alternate unbiverse dilema thing, its got no more relevance then any other comic prehaps even less......cause we know it didnt happen.

well lucas has more money then 3/4 of the men in this world he doesnt need more, i for 1 if i had his money would make the movie for the fans and make it coincide what he has given his approvle to.

hell if i dint know otherwise id assume the new movies were a complete new saga of movies that had no connection to the original ones in any shape way or form

Battledog is pretty freaking misinformed.

Canon: A law, or rule of doctrine or discipline, enacted by a council and confirmed by the pope or the sovereign; a decision, regulation, code, or constitution made by ecclesiastical authority.

"'Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the (movie) novelisations."

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/continuity.html

i just dont see why u should give your personal seal of approvel if your just gonna fuck it up, it seems like a joke to me......why bother if your gonna change it to something that makes no sence to the original movies anyway

well, i am, true as a series they are pretty cool, though TPM is the worst starwars movie ever made its still decent. Though casting jake Loyd was a mistake.

he may well hate me, but as a fan and i assure u millions of true fans will agree, he stuffed his own movies up.......sure they were his to stuff up, but he shouldnt have direc ted them history states whenever he directs the movies arent as good......compare ESB to any of the new or old ones.

Lord_Nathrakh said:
he may well hate me, but as a fan and i assure u millions of true fans will agree, he stuffed his own movies up.......sure they were his to stuff up, but he shouldnt have direc ted them history states whenever he directs the movies arent as good......compare ESB to any of the new or old ones.
That's a ridiculous claim. It was a film he directed that started the original series. If people hadn't liked ANH, they wouldn't have even gone to see ESB.

Indeed, A New Hope is excellent. I might even like it more than Empire Strikes Back, but both are at LEAST equal. Now competing for worst SW film would be Jedi and Menace. Jedi earns major points though for the cool Luke/Vader interactions. While Menace's apex was probably the saber fight at the end (due to the "Duel of the Fates" music).

I've never completely understood people knocking Episode 1. Jar Jar was bad, but he's not Jake Lloyd. The movie also made much more sense in every way than Episode 2 did, which was just random things happening and edited together in hopes someone would like it.

I've never completely understood people knocking Episode 1. Jar Jar was bad, but he's not Jake Lloyd.

Yeah, Episode 1 would have been awful if it'd had Jake Lloyd in it.

Oh, wait... (G)

(For what it's worth, I agree with you -- Episode One was a really fun movie. It wasn't the Star Wars of my youth, but *nothing will ever be*.)

I also agree that Ep. 1 is a fun movie, and I ilke it a lot. Same with Jedi. And I also also agree that Jake Lloyd is worse than Jar Jar in every way. "Yippee!" *Shudders* :(

LeHah, everthing is canon, or semi canon, however the movies are more canon than anything else. What's more the word of Lucasfilm is most certainly law.

This is why the SSD is "apparently" 12.8km long, not the 17.6km suggested by the bridge. If the EU wasn't atleast semi-canon then they wouldn't have been backing WEG for so many years.

As to the new trilogy. I look on Anakin as an extra. The movie is really about Obi-wan and Qui-gon, their relationship and the reason Kenobi feels he must fulfil his promise.

The new trilogy isn't great, its not bad though.

BattleDog said:
LeHah, everthing is canon, or semi canon, however the movies are more canon than anything else. What's more the word of Lucasfilm is most certainly law.

I don't even have to say anything to point out to anyone else but you how stupid that sentence is.

BTW, theres a big difference between Lucasfilm and their subsidiary continuity department. With one rather minor exception, Lucas hasn't made a single point of reference to anything BUT the other movies. This is as it should be, because to do anything else would be severely limiting as a writer and a creative person.

Besides, who would really want to see any other mention of Lumpy?

Nathrahk- If you were George Lucas, and you created what is considered to be one of the most influential movie series of all time, and you made millions off of it, and owed essentially all of your fame and money to it (I know he did Raiders, etc., but still), wouldn't you want to make it exactly as YOU want not really what others want. It is all because of Lucas that Star Wars exists. Just try and remember that. Youe logic is flawed because Lucas directed A New Hope which is quite good, but didn't direct ROTJ, which isn't as good. So when you say that when Lucas directs the movies aren't as good, and when he doesn't they are better, that isn't really true- the reason why ROTJ, TPM, and AOTC aren't up to the standards of the first two is because of the departure of some guy (yeah I know that's awful but I forget his name) who gave Lucas a lot on input on the screenplays. That's rather vague but I would bet someone can fill in the holes.

He was some kind of advisor to Lucas who had a major impact on the first two movies, and then they had a falling out and he left. Sorry, I can't remember his name or anymore, or even where I read it, but maybe someone else can remember more facts

Edit: He might be a producer, advisor might be the wrong term to use. Because this person was involved pretty deeply with the movies.

i loved RotJ i thought it was 10 times better then ep1 and at least 3 times better then ep 2, (which in it own right is a good movie). I also liked ANH and must admit it was good, still i think JEDI and ESB are both supperior. undoubtably ESB has been the most highly aclaimed work he has made, its much better then ep 2 anyway.

i think my point is quite valid though ANH he was younger had had more of a vision. Now hes doing it because of public demand basicly.

It can also be said that the only critics whos oppinion matters are the fans, and ill arguee im as much a fan of starwars then any person on these boards, if not more so, On par though id say Jedi and ANH were roughly as good as each other.

Neither of the new starwars movies are as good as the originals i belive simple because he has lost touch with his own creation, partly that and partly because of his overuse of CG and no use of muppets, its a more steril SW universe and doesnt have the same feel to ity as the originals

Hobbie said:
He was some kind of advisor to Lucas who had a major impact on the first two movies, and then they had a falling out and he left. Sorry, I can't remember his name or anymore, or even where I read it, but maybe someone else can remember more facts

You're thinking of Producer Gary Kurtz, who had a severe falling out with Lucas after Star Wars was released. The rumor was that it was Kurtz, not Lucas, who suggested a trilogy and the two refused to decide on who's direction to take. In the end, Kurtz left in a huff and has since done very little in Hollywood.

(You might be confusing Kurtz with writer Lawrence Kasdan who co-wrote ESB and ROTJ, the second with Lucas)

Back