ideal midway taskforce

Besides i would start out as a level designer and work my way up to game designer. Thats the way to do it.

Grrr.... well technically he didnt actually mock me, just thanked me for the opportunity

Which btw, i am revoking!

Originally posted by Supdon3
Mock me will you! :) Just for that im am going to become a game programer, get a job at Origin, write a WC game, and introduce a superweapon that has no drawbacks, and is put to very effective use by the good guys. And i will make it all work within the confines of a very exciting and entertaining story.
Well, I will buy your game. This is probably the first and only promise for a new WC game we will get for the next time.
And it sounds good :D

(BTW, I was mocking you,as you wanted.) <g>

Programmers generally aren't in charge of designing weapons -- that's what designers do. And designers who mess with game-balance don't stay designers very long. :)

Ohoh. But why not it would be very interesting to design a new WC. Unfortunately Origin would never give us the rights to do. They even wouldn't give us the quellcode (I also wouldn't do that). But just a dumb question: Why if so many people would like to program any game, why don't we start a workshop to program a SF computergame? As far as I can see many people right in here are able to write in some programmer languages. Why not in C or C++(I was told this is the language most games are written in)...? I would even like to learn, but why? Little programs can everybody write...so you can also do it in Basic. But together as a fan project? We even have people whom are good in art, some people have good ideas, so why not? We would just have to unite them and make a project. But this was just utopic. It would never be realizable. So we all live our talents out at home...the designers, the programmers, and the thinker...it's a pity. But it's reality (you are allwed to call me dreamer)..

I'm sure there are plenty of talented programmers and artists right here on the board. Still, creating a half decent game (i.e. not something like Lander) is incredibly hard. And most people don't have the will or time to seriously commit to a project. That's why only a handful of fan projects have been completed.

I know. That's the reason why I called it utopie. But it would be nice if....(and dreaming is surely allowed, or?).
But it is really bad those people aren't interested in using them. I'd like to...(and I will do it...next month I will begin to earn money with programming...if the firm where I absolved my practical training employs me after school...but I have good chances).

Well, some are interested. But they give up because it takes more effort than they expected, or they trade Wing Commander for a newer series, in pursuit of fame and glory.

Originally posted by Manjana
Little programs can everybody write...so you can also do it in Basic.

ACKKK!! *Sputter Sputter* B.b.b.Basic??? Nnnoooooooo!!!

With all due respect, I think C++ is a much better choice
if you're going to do graphics programming. Reasons:

1. There are a lot more packages (openGL, for example)
available in C++ than in basic, and they do a lot of
work for you (do you feel like writing your own
matrix-multiplication routines? didn't think so...)

2. C++ gives you a great deal more control of the computer
than Basic does, allowing for faster performance.

3. I've done graphics in both for school at
different times. From
personal experience, there is little you can offer that
would induce me to *ever* attempt graphics in basic
again .. it's just too much work, and why should I
waste time, for example scan-converting lines
and polygons into pixels, when commercial off-the-
shelf packages in C++ already do it, and do it
more efficiently than I could hope to?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Yeah, and a space sim wouldn't qualify as "a little program". As for C++ being the language of choice... maybe http://www.darkbasic.com/ might be worth looking into. It's supposed to make creating games a bit easier, because it's so built around DirectX or something.

Back