ideal midway taskforce

AFAIK, BASIC is just... well, basic. It's not meant to handle big projects, I believe. C++ seems to be one of the more common languages, but I guess it really doesn't matter much. OSI didn't exactly spend much time with code optimisation for Ultima Ascension. ;)

It's not basic though. It's just called that. Many people have created pretty neat things with the language, because it's easy to create 3D environments and such. Someone doing programming as a hobby might stand a better chance figuring DB out than C++.

I know that BASIC is an acronym. I was just making a pun. :) I just haven't seen how much has been done with them.

Basic's nice if you want to throw something together quickly. This is especially true if you want a nice Windows interface... VB's great for that (I admit I haven't used any of MS's other 'Visual' programming languages.)

TC

I am a programmer. I write code. It's what I like to do. My dad owns his own software development company. Basic, is not that basic. It's only basic, if you don't know anything about it. It is easier to learn, but it is more fun to play with. And guess what was used to write most of you everyday windows apps? You guessed it. Visual Basic. And I'm not trying to bash other languages here, I just think that you people think that VB is for Babies. It's not. That is where most of the money is now.

I never mentioned VisualBASIC. But I see your point. I never worked out what the 'Visual' bit meant anyway.

Visual simply means that it runs in a window, and you have drag n drop programming capability. Like, I can lay out the design of the window, w/ a bunch of different objects, then write code for each object. It's very user friendly.

Well I'm only just learning C++ now. I know a tiny bit of BASIC, and learnt Eiffel last semester. If only because it's nice and neat, I liked Eiffel, even though it's slow, impractical, and no one uses it.

We still learn Turbo Pascal at school! It's a pity. Okay for the beginning well ,but 3 years nothing else except a few Visual Basic(what I never really understood...it was just a month we had it and the teacher even didn't understand...next month we begin Delphi at school...). And at home I learned HTML, now I am trying to learn Java and JavaScript ( I have lots of literature for it but didn't have the time...but yesterday I passed the exam for my flight radio communication license (that exam was the concetely one I learned for the last 3 months)...that's why I am so happy at the moment)..and I think today I'll be ready to begin with JavaScript...Juchhu!!! (Freetime!!:D)

Have fun w/ java. Personnaly, I thought java was stupid, you'll find out why later, but java script was a blast!

Its all greek to me! Give me a schematic and a soldering iron and some parts and I can do anything! Throw a book on coding in front of me and I will be lost forever!!

RFBurns

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Have fun w/ java. Personnaly, I thought java was stupid, you'll find out why later, but java script was a blast!
As a professional Web developer, I'll say that I don't think Java is stupid, just horribly misused. Applets are a complete waste, especially when used merely for visual purposes. Drives me absolutely nuts whenever I see a site using a Java applet for something as trivial as mouseovers, or the like.

OTOH, the use of Java for cross-browser, interactive,
client-server communication is quite nice. I personally don't do much of any Java programming, but I recognize its worth in this area.

Javascript, however, is one of my stronger suites. Any incredibly versatile language, and fun to use, too. :)

Personnaly, I just didn't like the way java was supposed to be setup. To used to c++ i guess. Although they resemble each other in many ways, and they are both object oriented, I just like c++ better.

Originally posted by Manjana
We still learn Turbo Pascal at school! It's a pity. Okay for the beginning well ,but 3 years nothing else except a few Visual Basic(what I never really understood...it was just a month we had it and the teacher even didn't understand...next month we begin Delphi at school...).

Congratulations for your passed exam!
Funny, I had the same procedure in my school: First Turbo Pascal which seemed horribly obsolete but it was nice and easy. Then came Delphi and our teacher had absolutely no idea about it. It washorrible: I learned nothing and some other pupils who already were engaged in programming had to explain our teacher how the program works!

Even the modern ones aren't able...because who did ever want to become a teacher? After I told my biology teacher that I'd like to study b. he just said: become teacher, there you have best chances to get a job if your combination is good...I was horrified! The last thing I'd like to become is teacher! Me standing in front of 32 nerving 10-year-old children....Help!!! That would be a catastrophe! But so most people become teacher who don't know very much except in their subjects. So even the young teacher, who come fresh from university are most stupid idiots! I could tell you a story of a young chemistry teacher whom flamed himself with Phosphor...in front of a class...or even more such storys...forget teacher! They aren't interested in PCs at all!
But thanks for the congratulation, Mekt!
But it is really like you've said: 3 years Turbo Pascal and half a year Delphi...for what the teacher visited many seminars to learn sth. 'new' for the computer lesson.
But about the 'new' and the 'worth' for the students can be argued!

Back