ideal midway taskforce

Narwhal is the internal code name for Kraken -- the only one that they accidently mentioned in the canon using the 'code' name was the Marlin -- on the WCP:G box.

We know Spyder was on the Eagle because the Prophecy Official Guide talks about how he was part of the squadron first scheduled to deliver the T-Bomb (and, further, that he is a good friend of Paladin...).

The Coventry is most certainly a destroyer -- although the WC3 novel does call it a cruiser at one point, it properly identifies her several more times (p. 137, p. 170, etc)... you can *see* that she's a cruiser in the game. False Colors properly identifies Coventry as the flagship of a *destroyer* squadron (DesRon-67).

Originally posted by Supdon3
Hey, what about the Concordia? She has that PTC as the keel of her ship and it had no drawbacks.

I could have sworn that on one of these Threads LOAF
(he who can not be mistaken :) ) said that the PTC
did indeed have a drawback -- in just the right
circumstances it would blow up the ship. That's why
they stopped building them.

For me, I want BFGs -- the more the better. If we're
going to make it a practice of taking on alien peoples
who possess overwhelming numbers we *MUST* get our
casualty production up. I prefer the BFG to the PTC
because it can destroy a bunch of ships at once, rather
than one.

Perhaps I should clarify something -- when I play
WC, I tend to get into character. As a result, I don't
care about balance, or a fair chance, or fighting fair.
I just want to win. If I win easily, so much the
better. That means more of ours that can go home
alive.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell has a good point. If we just make a ton of superweapons, even if half of them explode (lets try and make them remotely activated) we still have half of them to blow away the bad guys.

But as good guys Confed will never manage to produce such BFGs. I am sure that the project will be abandoned because of "huge technological differences between Confed and bugs". Then Confed will once again have to rely on strategy and wits. ;)

So we blow up a few border worlds, (they're all scum and rabble rousers anyway :)) and we're not so good anymore. Then we can do what ever we want. We can even make missiles loaded with bioweapons that act like giant needles. We can infect the bug capital ships and watch them fall apart. If we delay the effect a little we might get a couple other ships and alot of fighters too.

Originally posted by Supdon3
pendell has a good point. If we just make a ton of superweapons, even if half of them explode (lets try and make them remotely activated) we still have half of them to blow away the bad guys.

Or we can do it the other way: convert the explosion
chance from 67% to 100% and mount the "gun" (now a
bomb) on a set of engines and a guidance
system and use it at as a super-mace :) !
This might be like the fire-ships of the 1800s,
when Navies would deliberately set perfectly good
ships on fire and set them on a suicide course into
a pack of their opponent's wooden and highly
flammable ships.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I don't think we'll see another Confed superweapon -- the people designing the next game get tired of having to clean up the previous one's mess (G)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Then Confed will once again have to rely on strategy and wits. ;)

Confed will always rely on wits ... but wits are so
much more effective if they have weapons of Mass
Destruction at their disposal :D.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Yes, BFGs seriously unbalance the universe. In each game you have to find reasons why the previous super weapons do not work anymore.

aww, what fun is it if we cant think we have a huge lead over the enemy only to have it yanked away leaving us scrambling to survive after it?

Yes, BFGs seriously unbalance the universe. In each game you have to find reasons why the previous super weapons do not work anymore.

If I remember correctly, each super weapon in all the games had a reason it only worked once or just a few times.

They don't have to unbalance the universe. Its simply
a matter of writing the missions cleverly. For instance,
a BFG has to hide to keep from being destroyed. Thus,
it will only fire when a REALLY GOOD target presents
itself. Thus, there will still be plenty of work for
fighters -- Recon. Counter-recon to prevent the BFG
from being found. Strike against vessels and groups
that aren't worth the BFG. Protecting the BFG. Protecting
supply convoys. Rushing to support allies. Capturing
enemy vessels. Fighting in close quarters where the BFG
dare not fire for fear of hitting one's own.

My idea of a final mission would be the Behemoth jumping
through a Confed wormhole to dust the Mother Creature
and the planet she's on. I would launch in Vampires and
undergo a 10- to 20-minute gauntlet mission beating off
Mantas, Skates and Devil Rays until the big B is in position. At which point, gun fires, watch the pretty
lights, show end credits.

The PTC didn't (to me) seriously unbalance WC2. In the
real world, nuclear weapons didn't seriously unbalance
(possible) naval warfare between the USA and the USSR -- if they had fought, both sides had them and there simply weren't that many situations that justified using them.
Thus, the presence of superweapons need not unbalance WCP2
-- provided the mission authors are clever enough.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Nuclear weapons tend to devastate a very large region and when one side would have used it, the other side would have retaliated and Earth would be uninhabitable.
But when both sides have those superweapons there is some sort of balance. But in general the good guys do not use such weapons because they are morally wrong or whatever. But of course you have to save your side against the evils who use these weapons with no remorse. That is heroic! ;)

Neither side can stop nuclear missiles from destroying their target once they are launched. But we can stop a large ship that blows up planets before it gets to the target.

They're not supposed to because the good guys should always be able to win without them. But sometimes the bad guys play dirty and the good guys need to pull off a miracle.

Back