Favorite Anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by NoRemorse
I love Ghost in the Shell and Jin Roh...

John

Oh yes! Both movies are works of art. Especially Jin-Roh. What a masterpiece! I bought the special edition DVD and it is stocked, dude! It has the feature (which is an amazing film), a special features disc and the soundtrack on CD. It was well worth the $54 I paid!

I also put Akira, Princess Mononoke, Macross: Do You Remember Love and Metropolis in the masterpiece/work-of-art anime category.

Is Macross Do You Remember Love edited like Robotech was? I used to think that the censoring of DBZ was bad, but when I read that Robotech is actually three series made into one :eek:

PS: I've never seen Macross/Robotech, besides Macross Plus, but it has fighter jets that transform into big robots, so it sounds like my sort of anime. :)

Originally posted by Penguin
Is Macross Do You Remember Love edited like Robotech was?

Not at all! Macross: Do You Remember Love (more affectionately called DYRL) is unedited. However, it has a sad and shaky history here in the states....

The only legit version of DYRL in the American market are two different VHS tapes. One is DYRL in Japanese with subtitles and the other is (for some unknown reason) renamed Clash of the Bionoids with terrible English dubbing.

There are a gazillion DYRL region 1 DVDs out there... alas, they are bootlegs. Every single damn one- BOOTLEG. It suckz.

Over in Japan, they have a region 2 encoded special edition DYRL DVD that blows away the most recent DYRL region 1 bootleg (the one I currently own... got it from an anime site) with Dolby 5.1, super-crisp video and the 2.35:1 ratio.

There have been no plans to import that version to the states (since we have Robotech, the licensing battle would be a total mess. As is, there is already a huge license war going on in Japan over Macross).

On the bright side, if you have a region 2 compatible/regionless DVD player and know Japanese, you can import it for a mere $100! Hoorah :p

Originally posted by Col.Dom

On the bright side, if you have a region 2 compatible/regionless DVD player and know Japanese, you can import it for a mere $100! Hoorah :p

Yeah, I've always thought that people who whine about terrible English dubbing could save themselves a lot of problems and just learn Japanese, or at least enough to get by on, and not bother with the English dub.

[I know learning Japanese is quite an undertaking, but considering the amount of whining I've heard, it seems worth it.)

Anyways thanks for the quick response, for some odd reason Robotech/Macross has struck my interest even though I've seen so little of it and know even less.

Originally posted by Ghost
It depends of the country, if it´s in US maybe was censored

Despite the loud cries of idiotic anime fans, the US doesn't have draconian censorship laws -- companies just realize that they won't sell products to children if they don't edit them. If Cartoon Network wanted to show unedited DragonBallZ they'd be perfectly welcome to.

I would love to learn Japanese! In fact, I've been considering taking a hop to Japan sometime (maybe the summer after this one).

LOAF's right, too. The US doesn't censor everything. Just look at Legend of the Overfiend. Ew.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

No, I've only seen the first two discs -- and anything that's that much of a pain to watch isn't worth my time, no matter whether or not it wants to explain itself in the last ten minutes <G>

not the last 10 min but the last cd and it makes since. the first time i saw it i agreed with you but thin i saw the end and i had to change my mind.
the irresponsible captain tylor is good.:D

Edited DB really puts a hamper on the program for those wanting a more mature program. If it was left alone, it would be awesome.

I would love to learn Japanese! In fact, I've been considering taking a hop to Japan sometime (maybe the summer after this one).

Hey, you'll be able to pick up a copy of Macross: DYRL :)

Wulf: Those wanting a more mature program would be better advised to seek something along the lines of Eva.

Originally posted by Wulf
Edited DB really puts a hamper on the program for those wanting a more mature program. If it was left alone, it would be awesome.

Yeah, reducing it from 3,219 episodes of large half naked men going "MY POWER LEVEL IS INCREASING" to 3,211 episodes of large half naked men going "MY POWER LEVEL IS INCREASING" has really done the concept of maturity itself a horrible disservice. :)

Yeah, reducing it from 3,219 episodes of large half naked men going "MY POWER LEVEL IS INCREASING" to 3,211 episodes of large half naked men going "MY POWER LEVEL IS INCREASING" has really done the concept of maturity itself a horrible disservice. :)

Finally! Someone understands what I've been saying about Dragon Ball!

Thanks LOAF :)

Not at all! Macross: Do You Remember Love (more affectionately called DYRL) is unedited. However, it has a sad and shaky history here in the states....
There have been no plans to import that version to the states (since we have Robotech, the licensing battle would be a total mess. As is, there is already a huge license war going on in Japan over Macross).

I thought the legal battles were over...
And Harmony Gold lost!
:D

Seriously...
While I don't know very much about the legal wrangling over the ownership of Macross, I do know that a Japanese court ruled that while Harmony Gold did have the right to redo Macross as part of Robotech, HG did not have any other rights to the Macross licenses, because HG bought the rights from a company that didn't own those rights. It sounds like a decision of sorts has been made in the licensing war, although I suppose that doesn't mean that the other side couldn't be coming back for another round (and just to clarify, HG was not involved in the legal battles - the battles were largely between two Japanese companies).

Macross: Do You Remember Love is in something of a unique position. Macross has a somewhat convoluted continuity, which is what can happen when you have two TV series, an OVA, two movies, and a music video. But the "official" continuity is layed out like this:
Macross TV series -> Macross Plus -> Macross Seven
That is the "official" continuity history. Macross: Do You Remember Love is basically the story of the Macross TV series, but it plays out in an entirely different fashion. The key elements are still in place, the same people die (up through the defeat of Dolza), and the same relationships are in place, but the story itself is different. For example, Roy still dies, but he doesn't bleed to death in Claudia's living room this time. The movie has been incorporated into the continuity by explaining that DYRL is a dramatized version of the events that took place during the TV series.
Macross II (which is a four episode OVA that was later combined into a single movie) is off in a little world of its own. IIRC, it was made by a completely different group, and is set in the same continuity as DYRL. Of course, DYRL no longer exists. Actually, aside from the occasional reference to Minmei, and the Macross cannons (which are basically new SDFs), you could completely remove Macross II from the Macross continuity, and it wouldn't hurt the movie in the least.

It is possible that DYRL might be legally released in the US. After all, Harmony Gold allowed Animeigo to release a subtitled version of Macross (HG will only allow Macross footage to be dubbed if its Robotech). So it is possible that HG might not oppose a release of DYRL if it is only released in a subtitled format (and I would guess HG is the big reason why it hasn't been made available).

Yep. I am keeping my fingers crossed for an American official release of DYRL!

As a stand-alone movie, DYRL is in-freaking-credible. I hate the Robotech MinMei... but DYRL's MinMei is astounding- I actually like her music as opposed to the whining two-minute tracks our American counterpart has.

The only thing I didn't like about DYRL is that it doesn't give much development for any of the characters except Rick, Lisa and MinMei. Gloval is almost nonexistant, Roy is made to be a drunkard (eh... not a far stretch... ROY R0X0RZ) and Ben & Max are just silent partners; and where was Khyron!?

I also didn't like the vice-versa they pulled with Max & Miriya! I thought it kind of wierd to see a 50-foot tall Max fighting with Zentraedi in a female power armor....

Oh well! The rest of the flick, over all, is a perfect ten.

As a stand-alone movie, DYRL is in-freaking-credible. I hate the Robotech MinMei... but DYRL's MinMei is astounding- I actually like her music as opposed to the whining two-minute tracks our American counterpart has.

Does anyone like the American Minmei? I read an interview with the people making the upcoming Robotech Console game, and one of them mentioned that Minmei made his ears bleed...
heh heh
Just out of curiousity, have you seen the Flashback OVA music video thingy?

The only thing I didn't like about DYRL is that it doesn't give much development for any of the characters except Rick, Lisa and MinMei. Gloval is almost nonexistant, Roy is made to be a drunkard (eh... not a far stretch... ROY R0X0RZ) and Ben & Max are just silent partners; and where was Khyron!?

I also didn't like the vice-versa they pulled with Max & Miriya! I thought it kind of wierd to see a 50-foot tall Max fighting with Zentraedi in a female power armor....

Its a movie. Its only about 2 hours long (actually, haven't got a clue what the run time is, its been so long). How are they supposed to get character development in?
*grin*
Its just one of the sacrifices they have to make. Movies, by necessity, typically focus on only a few characters. Look at all the character development that Chewbacca got, for example, in Star Wars. At heart, Macross is about Hikaru/Rick and the two women in his life. Everyone else is just along for the ride.

Khyron is apparently the guy who takes down Roy in the movie - not that you'd ever know it, of course, since he and his TV version look nothing alike, and I don't think his name is even given. Rather disappointing fate for the great villian of Macross.

I kind of liked the reverse micronization that happened with Max in the movie. I would imagine, though, that the only reason it took place was because the writers didn't have enough time to do the whole meeting/courtship/wedding bit in the movie.

Originally posted by Penguin
Is Macross Plus the Movie available in the US?

Yep. It's actually available in two separate ways :D

One is the four <?> DVD set split into two box sets that tells a much broader tale. The other is a chopped up, feature-length-film-friendly version.

junior- No, I haven't had the privelage to see Flashback 2012. I must see it, though!

Also, I get all your points. How do you know that it's Khyron who bests Roy? I actually remember hearing that from another source too....

btw- Miriya was so freakin' BAD@$$ in that movie, huh!? Woo! Maked me hot!

You know what I meant, because you do posess a good deal of intelligence, hopefully, so quit making it seem ridiculous. I notice that you do that to a lot of people, BTW. In case you didn't know what I meant, I was referring to how they cut some of the storyline to focus more on cutesy animals to grab more kids' attention.

I don't think that anything LOAF could say could make that show seem more ridiculous. <G>

On that matter, the intelligence level of this thread is rapidly approaching zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back