cloaking question

The first quote does not convince me (it's from the SO2 intor, right?). I think he was only sure that the Kilrathi would win but not that their goals are his (except for killing the survivors of the Claw).
But this second quote I never heard. Maybe it's because I own the German version of WC2 but still I cannot think of any translation that would match it. Where did you take it from?

SO2, again... Minx complains that Jazz has taken credit for capturing the Morningstar... Jazz tells her that he's a *real* Mandarin, and has even recieved medals from Thrakhath. And then they get friendly, if you catch my drift.

Hmm, I do not remember that one. Can you please tell me exactly when, perhaps I remember it then.
Still it does not convince me. Jazz did serve the Kilrathi well (for a certain time) but I think because his hatred for the Confederation was so deep and not because he adored the Kilrathi.

Except he *says* he likes the Kilrathi -- so you kind of have to believe him. :) (I mean, if he hated COnfed, there are far safer alternatives to supporting the 'Kats...).

The quote is from SO2, after Minx brings the Morningstar to Ayers Rock.

I still cannot remember that scene, but this is not the fisrt time my memory lets me down.
And while I am still not totally convinced that he actually likes the Kilrathi or admires them for their goals,
I have to admit that I did NOT catch your drift when you said they got friendly. I thought you were referring to the situation when Jazz leaves Minx to die in her escape pod but tthat is of course after she brought the Morningstar to Ayer's Rock. So please clear it up for me (it is very early in the mrning in Germany ;) )

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
SO2, again... Minx complains that Jazz has taken credit for capturing the Morningstar... Jazz tells her that he's a *real* Mandarin, and has even recieved medals from Thrakhath. And then they get friendly, if you catch my drift.

You mean Thrakath and Jazz? :D

Seriously, there's another question this thread raises: We all know that Jazz was working for the Mandarins in WC2, and that he was responsible for the destruction of the Tiger's Claw a decade earlier. The question I have is, was Jazz actually working on the orders of the Mandarins when the Claw was destroyed? [As opposed to being a member of the Manadarins, which the SO2 quoute would suggest he was.] Was it part of an organised act of treason by the Society of Mandarins or was it a lone act of vengeance on Jazz's part?

Best, Raptor

[Edited by Raptor on 03-30-2001 at 23:02]

He was working for the Kilrathi -- he didn't actually destroy the Tiger's Claw, he just stole Blair's flight disk when he landed. To know to do that, he must have been in on the stealth fighter attack... (well, logically, he must have been the one to give away the 'Claws location...).

I realise that, but what I meant was, was he working on the orders of the Society of Mandarins when he gave away the Claw's location, or was it simply an idduvidual act of revenge?

Best, Raptor

He was probably by himself and then used the Mandarins later to get supplies to sabotage the Concordia and make his escape from custody.

No, he was obviously a Mandarin at that point because

(a) He said he'd been a Mandarin for over 10 years, just over 10 years later...

(b) He knew to steal Blair's recorder... therefore he was in on the attack, therefore he was working for the Kilrathi, therefore he was a Mandarin.

TC

your a point is good but jsut because hes helping out the Kilrathi doesnt automatically make him a Mandirin

He specifically stated that he was a Mandarin, though, and that he's been a Mandarin for more than ten years.

And even if you ignore what he said, he still had to be a Mandarin in order to get the Tiger's Claw destroyed. After all, not only did he give away the 'Claw's location, but he also gave them Blair's flight path. If he hadn't been a Mandarin... well, remember how much Tolwyn trusted the Kilrathi defector in Ep. 12? If some unknown Confed pilot contacted the Kilrathi and gave them all that info, do you really think they would believe him?

Even coming from the Mandarins, the Kilrathi would check to make sure it was true before they would act on it. Sending a couple cloaked fighters to see if the Claw is actually where the data said it should be isnt a problem when they can stay at a descret distance and use passive sensors. Then when they see its there, move in and destroy it. No one needs the Mandarin seal of approval on their intel before the Kilrathi will take it seriously, nor would they do it automatically if they had it. In the first episode the technician that flunked out of the academy had no visible ties to the mandarins and the Kilrathi were more than willing to use his info from the Academy.

The technician in Ep. 1 was an entirely different situation - he wasn't using the Garfieldesque "come a little closer and I'll tell you" line :). Until the very last moment, he wasn't even supposed to ever rendezvous with the Kilrathi ship, which was hidden safely in the nebula. When he did finally demand to be taken, the Kilrathi really had little choice, because a certain Prince was dead-set on getting that data.
With Jazz Colson on the other hand... he was not only telling the Kilrathi where to go, but also how and when. While the where could be confirmed before the attack, there was nothing the Kilrathi could do to confirm that how and the when weren't a trick. For all they knew, Jazz was drawing them into an ambush specifically designed to capture a stealth fighter.
...And that, of course, is the final proof of Jazz's Mandarinity. If he wasn't a Mandarin - that is, if he was acting solely for revange - how on Earth would he know about the stealth fighters? He obviously did...

It didnt say he knew about the stealth fighters, and the Kilrathi could just have easily sent a scouting patrol followed up by a bomber wing to attack the Claw which is how a carrier normally would be destroyed. It never specified that Jazz knew either way how it was going to be destroyed.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
[B"Please--- Call me Jazz. I'm afraid you're only hired help, Captain. Not a sworn Mandarin. I've loyally served the Kilrathi for over ten years. Prince Thrakhath himself awarded me with a Kilrathi medal. If you became more involved in our cause, there could be a place for you as well, Captain."[/B]
I distinctly remember seeing that... but only on my first couple of runs. Is that scene on the 'losing' or 'second chance' mission?

And I suspect that the medal was just to appeal to the 'foolish Terran's' ego. :)

Well spotted, young Jedi :). Yes, that conversation does indeed take place off the winning path. A second-chance mission when Ayer's Rock appears to detect the Grimalkin, and scrambles fighters. The Grimalkin jumps further out-system, while you have to kill five Sabres and two Broadswords. If you do, the Grimalkin will be able to continue her mission.

Actually, those second-chance missions have some rather amusing conversations. "Very well, if the presence of the Concordia disturbs you, grandson, you may destroy it." :)

Back