cloaking question

Why no Spanish? It would seem to me that there are more Spanish speaking people than French and German combined.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
WC1 and 2 were translated into German, but for some reason are harder to find than WC1 and 2 in English with manuals in German...
One reason why the german versions of WC1/2 are harder to find could be that by the time they came out the german version was released so much later that they did not sell very well because most people who knew about WC bought the english version and were not willing to buy the german version, too, and so perhaps most of the german versions were then removed from the stores after some time.

Computer game sales in Spain, thoough, are very low... so companies don't bother to translate games (although there's a seperate dist. with spanish manuals for some titles).

Wing Commander sells a whole lot of units in Germany and the US, which is why there's almost always a German and English version of each game...

Yeah, but countries other than Spain speak Spanish, ya know :). Mexico seems rich enough to buy video games, the whole continent of South America speaks mainly Spanish (yes, I know there are exceptions, don't be picky ;)). Just seems like a lot of people.

Also, I am sure that there are plenty of Spanish speaking people in the U.S. who would buy Wing Commander.

They're... pretty much the textbook definition of a poor country.

Anyway, there are German and French and Korean and whatnot speaking people in the US, too... but EA doesn't publish their international translations here. It'd just be too expensive...

'Mexico' and 'seems rich' don't really go together. :)

If they were rich, they be over there, not comming here. With that new president down there, they may actually save their country and get rid of the corruption thats been infesting their country for over 70 years. I got relatives down there and the history of the Mexican government is, well not exactly for the people of the country.

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 04-03-2001 at 13:39]

Originally posted by RFBurns
'Mexico' and 'seems rich' don't really go together. :)

If they were rich, they be over there, not comming here. With that new president down there, they may actually save their country and get rid of the corruption thats been infesting their country for over 70 years. I got relatives down there and the history of the Mexican government is, well not exactly for the people of the country.

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 04-03-2001 at 13:39]

That statement seems to make more sense for Cuba, but I see your point.

Er, back to the cloaking question, where does it say the cloaking is gravitic? I was under the impression that is was electromagnetic.

And, the Dragon fighters appear to have a complete cloak, like a Kilrathi stealth fighter. Check out the opening WC4 cutscene. However, the cutscene of a Dragon decloaking shows that the decloaking of a Dragon is slower than that of a Kilrathi stealth fighter, and the aura of it is blue. Still, it's a complete cloak...no shimmering!

The Shroud and Pliers cloaks don't seem complete, though.

Once again, the Confederation Handbook explains how cloaking works.

And yeah, the Lance has a complete cloak.

Really? I was ALSO under the impression that the WCMovie exists in a different universe than the WCGames. Therefore, descriptions of certain technologies...such as cloaking devices...would be inaccurate.

Then again, since the basic principles are the same, perhaps the technology would also be similar.

Maybe the cloaking device uses an electromagnetic device to warp gravity in a selective sphere over the fighter?

Maybe I should get a Confederation Handbook? Well, the answer to the last one is yes.

I can imagine the power requirement for gravitic type cloaking or any kind of gravitic field generator. I see the theory behind using gravity to bend light, much like how a black hole bends light. But the intensity of that field would be so tremendous it would require a highly focused field, plus a repelling field to protect the pilot and the craft itself. If all that power is there for a cloak, which can be detected by other cloaked ships or sensors, I would want all that extra power switched to engines and guns. Specially to the AB tank! No point in cloaking if you can be seen! Dead weight, useless device if it can be detected.

RFB

I suppose so. That's why I called it a selective gravitic field. Maybe it just has a hollow shell of gravity, with a null gravity sphere on the outside and on the inside.

I don't think the guy who wrote the Confed Handbook knew what the heck he was talking about.

Originally posted by Nep Parth
Really? I was ALSO under the impression that the WCMovie exists in a different universe than the WCGames. Therefore, descriptions of certain technologies...such as cloaking devices...would be inaccurate.

Then you are under an incorrect assumption <G>

I don't think the guy who wrote the Confed Handbook knew what the heck he was talking about.

Since the topic is fictional machines that make you invisible, and he's the only one ever to have written anything about it, he's the *only* person who knows what the heck he's talking about. :)

Just because he's the only person to have written about it doesn't mean he's right. Just because we don't know how it works doesn't mean he's right. The normal person off the street probably exactly can't tell you how gasoline interacts with an internal combustion engine to fuel a car, but they know that it isn't squirted out of the back of the car to make it go.

Then again, he IS the only person to have written about it. And it's official...so I guess he is right.

Now, for the first part - the WCMovie directly contradicts WC1! Like how Episode 1 of Star Wars contradicts just about everything in the books. Could you enighten me as to how it doesn't contradict? :)

I have a masters in electromagnetic and electronics engineering, was required for what I did in the Air Force, and we had discussions on gravimetric fields and their uses. One thing is for shure, the power requirement to generate a gravitic field to even simply deflect an object is imense. Of course were talking futuristic technologies vs what we know today or theorize. But for something to use that much power in a small package (ie: fighter/bomber or even a torpedo). Just containing that amount of energy would require so much power the technology to have that reactor or power source fit into a housing of a typical torpedo would be something to see!!

RFB

We *do* know how it works, though, because he told us... and he's the authority on the subject...:)

If you want to point out some specific contradictions, I'd be happy to explain them <G>

Back