cloaking question

Well it wasnt a carrier, but in WCIV there was one cap ship that did have cloak. Should be fairly simple to cloak a carrier.

RFBurns

Yeah but that was an entire frigate with its power divided between the Cloak and the jamming device. Im sure there was very little life support onboard, and only a handful of crewmen. A carrier, with its diversified needs would be very hard pressed to handle a cloak.

Maybe the shroud cloak will work, or something that removes it from the radar. But It would be really hard to remove it from visible sight.

It would be like the Dragon in WC4, only a partial cloak. If you knew what to look for you could still see it.

I think those Lances had a pretty complete cloak, except for when your flying in one. Maybe it left a energy distortion like early Birds of Prey did in Star Trek but i never noticed it.

No, it leaves an outline of the ship. Fly against seether and wait till he cloaks. Keep an eye on that spot and you'll see it.

Thats what i mean. In the Lance you can see other Lances, but the rest of the game and in any other fighters you dont see anything.

But in the mission where you have to capture the Black Lance transport which is guarded by 2(?) Dragons and you are flying, e.g. a Vindicator, I think I could see the outline of the Dragons when they were cloaked.

Woah, cloaking confusion!

Confed has two types of cloaking device -- the Shroud and the Blackfish. The Shroud is a sensor cloak, the Blackfish is a sensor/visual cloak. The Excalibur in WC3 mounts a Shroud, the Lance in WC4 a Blackfish (and then the Excalibur in WCP a Blackfish).

The reason you can see 'outlines' of other Lances in WC4 is because the Lance also mounts an Anti-Cloaking Device... something which first appeared in Armada: Proving Grounds. You can also see cloaked arrows in WCIV -- and, if anything else could cloak, you'd see it, too.

The reason cloaking is not feasible for large capital ships is because the energy to mass ratio is exponential... it takes a *lot* of energy to cloak something as big as a carrier. That's why the cloaked transport had to decloak to move -- it didn't have the energy to do both (similarly, the cloaked space-station was probably very, very expensive. :)).

This is the second time I heard about that anti-cloak device in Proving Grounds: How does it work? (in the game- I do not want any scientific mumbo-jumbo)

You mean you can still see the cloaked ship while the poor Shok'lar pilot is spending his energy? What is the drawback of the system then?

The anti-cloak system exists only in the game-mode where you start with a pair of lasers and gather power-ups while deathmatching... so, *any* ship can have a cloak or an anti-cloak <G>

Oh! Like in the mode in Starlancer. Heaven, I really have to try it out. I have it now for almost a year and never tried it because I knew no one would play it with me. :(

Seems rather odd about this power thing, considering the DRAGON/lance had a very small M/AM reactor compared to the size of the cap ships power plants. True that transport had to decloak to move (WCIV) which means it required great amounts of power. Perhaps it was just a matter of fiesability in the larger carriers. Or that a cloaked carrier is simply rediculous in nature considering the carriers purpose or some economic reason. But cloaks are useless if the other side can detect something cloaked.

RFBurns

Back