Casey a wimp

Well P.O.Ws... civilians... what's the difference to the Kilrathi once the poor guys are in their paws?.. :)

[Edited by mpanty on 04-23-2001 at 02:19]

Originally posted by redwolf
After all, Australia only suffered less than a percent deaths in Vietnam. Only 496. Best soldiers in the world. (ok, maybe the British SBS is better than our SAS...still not too bad for a bunch of colonials)
Yeah, well, if you add the post-Vietnam suicide rate amongst vets, it's a lot more. "How there were no V-day heroes in 1973" and all that...

So aren't I allowed to show my love for my country? It seems every American on here does...

Fine there may have been suicides, but then there would have been suicides in the American veterans too. All I'm saying is that Australians are statistically better soldiers, and in my opinion this would flow from greater discipline.

Well of course Australian soldiers, at that time, were better - you didn't have conscription, so you had a professional army :). Right now, of course, the situation would be different, as the Americans also have a professional army.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Well not every species is going to be worthy prey, so what do they do with the animals that are no fun to hunt and dont taste good with arakh leaves?

I propose slavery. ;)

You can be proud of everything you want. I am at least no pacifist. I don't understand any government beginning a war because of reasons which are no ones. Milosevic and the NATO for ex. It was okay of the NATO to help, but it was wrong of Milosovic to start...that was what I meant. The NATO darely had no losses. But I feel sorry for the Serbian soldiers who were sent into a senseless war by their political leader in which they had no chance. Of course I know it is always so. But I don't like it. And what happened to serbia? The country is deeply divided, foreign soldiers are stationated, kind of a revolution took place, the UCK...one time also a war for the NATO will come which is bigger and where they'll also 'loose'. Maybe not the war but many lifes...if you understand.
And the US knew in the Vietnam war it would be very difficult with the whole country against them...and they didn't directly have anything to do with the war. They wanted to be the savers of the world, like the political leaders and many people give themselves...because they're Americans...sometimes hey forget other countrys are partners...at least the US could have known the war won't be winnable. And they started. They lost much money many soldiers and give themselves often as winners. The Vietnam 'won' but the Maerican bombardement also made them lose...it wasn't necessary at all...

Originally posted by redwolf
So aren't I allowed to show my love for my country? It seems every American on here does...

Fine there may have been suicides, but then there would have been suicides in the American veterans too. All I'm saying is that Australians are statistically better soldiers, and in my opinion this would flow from greater discipline.

There are vets today that still deal with the effects of Vietnam and Korea. Many committed suicide because until recently, governments had little to do with helping these defenders of democracy, sort of left them out in the cold. War has bad psycological effects on even the best of soldiers, no one is immune.

RFB

Soldiers are everywhere equal...they consist of such a huge group of different people...there does no propaganda work...because not everybody reacts on the same propaganda. It was luck and if I am not wrong informed I'd say the US sent more soldiers than Australia....so the statistic is little failed. You can count it up and compare, but it won't give you the same result..it isn't the same.

I don't think that statistics are a good mean to show that one's nation has better soldiers than other ones. Statistically, the Americans lost much less soldiers than the Germans in WW2 (and WW1) but not because they were the better soldiers.

But, of course redwolf you are allowed to be proud of your country, as much as everyone else. I, too, am proud of my country. I think that "pride" monopoly of the Americans is just a cliché, invented by America haters.

"haters": does this word exist?

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-23-2001 at 13:41]

Oh fine: I am an American-hater...(don't take me worthly). It's also a contrast...I don't like being German..even if I cannot change. I'd like if I had another 'identity' with which I'd like to identify myself. But not with the German one.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Originally posted by Supdon3
Well not every species is going to be worthy prey, so what do they do with the animals that are no fun to hunt and dont taste good with arakh leaves?

I propose slavery. ;)
Right... Somehow I forgot that the Kilrathi had slaves...
Still, I wonder what tasks they made their slaves perform...
Any ideas on this, LOAF?

Slaves perform many functions to the Kilrathi -- they're used for difficult labour, as 'toys', as personal servants, as food, as tools in research -- and as researchers themselves (other races are generally responsible for Kilrathi weapons development -- the furballs themselves aren't particularly intelligent).

Less reputable humans, of course, have slaves too in Wing Commander as well...

But it mustn't be Kilrathi slaves. So what then? Firekkan?? Not very propable or even Other HUMANS? So the situation of SW...little uncontrolled planet at the frontier of controlled space...where humans buy humans. Sounds like a child-story. Once there was a time....

Other humans, yes (well, and Varni and other species...) -- if you're a pirate in Privateer, you can traffic in human slaves.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Slaves perform many functions to the Kilrathi -- they're used for difficult labour (...)
Like what? The same type human slaves performed on Earth in the past? i.e. mining... the such?

(...) the furballs themselves aren't particularly intelligent) (...)
Ehm... I don't know about that... They stole the jump drive technology, true, but weren't they able to build spaceships at that time anyway?
The Kilrathi appear to me to be very intelligent beings...
At least more than the Mopoks... :)

The Kilrathi are not particularly technical. They stole the ability to produce spaceships and the jump drive from two different species...

As for slaves and weapons: They used Varni slaves to develop the first torpedoes, for instance.

And yeah, they use slaves to do things like mining (Dekker, for instance, mined ore for the Kilrathi while he was a POW -- or working on assembly lines...

Didn't it say in the Wing Commander 3 manuel that Kilrathi came up with spaceships after the humans but like developed it faster or something like that?

Back