Captured WCIII Cruiser

IMO the SO Panther had an excellent missile array (6 ELRIR, 6 FF) and some great cannon, the cloudburst is an excellent gun if You just learn to conserve Your fire, then let her rip, the Cloudburst and the first chain ion volley will break through the shields, and the subsequent shain ion bursts will finish the fighter off... Great stuff.

Well, then I see your point, because if You don't allow the Cloudburst time to load You're just left with the pretty light show of the chain ions, and a light SHOW is exactly what it is... Personally i found the armament to be just great, but I never liked that Panther anyway, I just detest that ship for some strange reason *lol*

Maybe i´m in crack :), but i founded the WCSO Black Shrike perfect to me, 2 Dust cannon (lower fire delay and much punch) and 3 Paticle guns.

Theoretically the mix is great... but the Shrike is just a terrible platform for anything... I remember getting banged up and then limping back to the Cerberus under heavy fire from the rear and then hiding behind the Cerb's big plasma gum while it deals with the bugs that followed me in... All in all, my impression of it is not so good... The only ships I liked in WCP were the Wasp, Devastator and Vampire, Wasp in SO being number one :)

But i play with the AB on almost all the time with the Shrike.
And the Black Wasp is the BEST ship of WCSO and WCP....even maybe all WC... The Dust Cannon Are great, Cloudburst Cannon, 8 Swarmer (Robotech) Missiles and 4 ELRIR rocks very well in Bugs ships.

I completely agree, the Wasp in WCSO made a greater impression on me than any other ship in any of the games, maybe the Excaliburs gimballed guns were a bigger surprise, but I always pictured spacefighters looking like the Wasp, strapon boosters and no aerodynamics, just a big square or cylinder with lots of missiles... I love the Wasp.

As for the Shrike, the Dust cannon are mounted too far apart, and the PPCs draw too much juice IMO... and sooner or later it runs out of fuel... nothing which doesn't break 1000kps in afterburn is to be considered a fighter/bomber capable of defending itself.

Though I never really warmed up to the Wasp (maybe I would have Iif I flew it more :)), it does fit my general combat philosophy, i.e Get lots of little fighters and swarm them :)

So then Your ideal fighter is the Salthi, right?

I like the Wasp because it packs a hell of a punch, and its small, cheap, maneuvrable... Just a little bundle of dynamite that turns on a dime and can charge like a hungry hippo... I like the philosophy of it, that's all...

Call me crazy, but I think that given enough Salthis the Cats could have taken down the Tiger's Claw...I've seen it happen (hypotheically, of course :))

Of course, the Wasp has a much better chance of actually making that happen...

Well, of course... I agree... but we all know how much it costs to educate a pilot... You know, I once had this idea... You take 24 Salthis or something... And You rig them all to follow one, then that one guy attacks and 24 salvos go off, and You'll never lose more than one pilot.

Come to think of it... Why are there no remote controlled craft in WC?

Well not necessarily ALL craft...

hey, anyone read Enders Game? By Orson Scott Card?

In the novel, a kid goes to a military Academy and fights in simulators like Homeworld or ST Armada, with ships and fleets and such... Only he finds out in the ends that the ships have been real, he's been fighting real battles with real ships over remote control... And he won. Strange and very very good novel, I so WANT it to be made into a film. Or at least a game.

But a thought for the WCA game?

Yeah yeah, I mean Remote control as in he commanded the fleet and wasn't there, not direct Remote control... but it's a freaky concept, eh? :)

I would love to see the war games in the gravity sphere transformed into some kind of coop multiplayer game... That could work very well...

It would kinda be akward going from alot of really powerful ships to fewer and older/weaker ships as the game went on though.

No, no... the games they played five and five, with the spacesuits which froze up if they got hit? The one where they had two doors and they had to get across the room to the other door in the zero gravity sphere...

Back