3D Printed Starfighters

Stand by you guys, I'm prototyping 4 ships in color this month. Pics when I get 'em!

The first Scimitar looks awesome, just a bit too small.

Love how the Raptor came out. I like them all, but the Raptor truly feels like the brick it's supposed to be when you're holding it in your hand.
WC Ships.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Red! I hope you guys can hang in there. There's lots very affordable color ships coming very soon!

They work!

The 1/300 scale ships will be just about the perfect display/zoom around the office size and should be pretty darn affordable (Around $35 for a 3" model) And you don't have to paint 'em! The Scimitar is 1/300 scale and the Rapier an odd 1/230 scale. (About 4.1 inches. I wanted to see what would happen at larger sizes)

They're hard to photograph, but I'm getting details like panel lines, Confed insignia, even hints of stencil markings and warning placards! The texture is a bit rough, like sandstone, but a little sanding on the rough parts evens out the minor "terracing" effect, and the colors are preserved. I painted the Rapier canopy as it was a bit light, and picked out some minor details with a sharp #2 pencil. I can't believe how well these worked.

The Rapier shown is about 4.1", but so more detail shows, but the ship is accordingly more expensive to produce. I'll make the Rapier, Scimitar, Raptor and Hornet available as soon as I get in the rest of my 1/300 prototypes to make sure everything works. I've also got a 1/600 scale color print coming, but I'm not sure how it will turn out (it may be too small to work properly)

In the meantime I'll be running around the house making whoosing noises at the dog.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 241
The 1/300 scale Hornet! If this is Gen 1 color printing, I can't wait for next year...

Just have to make sure the Raptor and the 1/600 scale models work okay and I can release them!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 193
T

In the meantime I'll be running around the house making whoosing noises at the dog.

Big Lolz! I know exactly what you mean...

Simply outstanding work. The fever is catching on! I cannot WAIT to get started on my balsa wood models again...

@Red: Yep! They are a great company.

It turns out the smaller scale ships won't work for the Hornet, Raptor, and Rapier, without having to thicken the wings and fine details to the point of silliness. So the Scimitar, Hornet and Rapier will only be available in 1/300 scale for around $35 a piece. These scale out to around 3-4 inches long. Big enough to see plenty of detail, but not take up too much room on your desk.

My question for you guys:

Would you rather the Raptor be in scale with the other ships, winding up at around 6.4 inches, and costing almost $100? The cost of materials for larger models increases exponentially and I regret that I can't make that any cheaper.

Or would you rather have an out of scale Raptor around 4 inches, but costing the same as the other ships?

@Red:
Would you rather the Raptor be in scale with the other ships, winding up at around 6.4 inches, and costing almost $100? The cost of materials for larger models increases exponentially and I regret that I can't make that any cheaper.
Or would you rather have an out of scale Raptor around 4 inches, but costing the same as the other ships?

Well, why not offer both options? Is it feasible to do so?

Holy blasted blazes of blam Batman...they look a hell of a lot better then any paint job I could do.

The squadron logos are emblazoned clearly and cleanly on the fighters and look incredible! I feel 6 years old again. :cool:

Holy blasted blazes of blam Batman...they look a hell of a lot better then any paint job I could do.

The squadron logos are emblazoned clearly and cleanly on the fighters and look incredible! I feel 6 years old again. :cool:

You can definitely clearly see the confed logo and some placards and details, they're a bit blurry at extremely close range, but they are there! I can't wait for this tech to mature a bit more so you can see every pixel i put into them!

I'm so glad to be able to offer these to the community. It's so cool to have my hornet on my desk!

Very cool, I'll definitely order a couple of these! Would you mind sharing your plans for the near future- will you be adding the Ferret and/or Kilrathi ships in colour soon-ish? And did you create different paint schemes/textures for some of the ships? Just checking so I can condense my purchases in 1 or 2 orders...

sbdwv,I think the Kilrathi ships will be next, but it will be some months before I can get them up and running. I might do some different paint schemes in the far future, but I'm too busy to get much more done on these right now!

Back