Deviant WC Artists Pick Up Their Pencils & Pens
gavinfoxx recently brought to our attention the abundance of Wing Commander imagery that exists over at DeviantArt. Kilrathi are especially popular, and in particular, Prince Thrakhath shows up quite a bit. The sampling below comes from DuneTiger, Daennika, spoofe, ViciousLion, Zu86 and NinjaLA. It seems that Wing Commander 3 serves as the biggest inspiration for the classic Kilrathi look, and what do you know?! Today happens to be 18th anniversary of WC3's ship date on December 8, 1994. Happy Birthday to The Heart of the Tiger!
a quick drawing of a kilrathi pilot in the cockpit
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Hunting for The Awakening
- 2017-04-26 -- Earlier this year, we reported that the band Die Krupps has re-released the song they composed for the Wing Commander Prophecy OST, updated for a more recent album. This song, The Vampire Strikes Back, is one of three on the album that were 'inspired by' Wing Commander. What about the other two?
- Visual Reference: Wing Commander I Rooms
- 2017-04-25 -- Following our gallery of Wing Commander II backgrounds, here is a smaller selection of backgrounds from the original game. There weren't as many places to go on the Tiger's Claw, but it's interesting to note they didn't 'double up' on similar places--the Hangar Deck and the debriefing area have separate backgrounds.
- Goofballs Battle for the Enigma Sector
- 2017-04-24 -- Last year, I was lucky enough to take part in a 25th Anniversary livestream of Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi. Unfortunately, if you missed the live showing it has not been available... until now!
- Wing Commander Makes History
- 2017-04-23 -- It's time for some serious history! The Digital Antiquarian has put together an excellent article titled From Squadron to Wingleader which follows the first half of the development of the original Wing Commander! It's a story hardcore fans are likely familiar with (much is sourced from Mike Harrison's Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Guide), but it has never been presented in so-compelling a form.
- Itâs the End of the World as We Know It!
- 2017-04-22 -- Happy Earth Day, everyone! There are certainly important issues facing the world todayâ¦ but letâs take a moment to jump forward and see what disastrous await our home planet in the Wing Commander timeline! Soon Earth itself will be in our grasp...
- Visual Reference: Special Operations 1 & 2 Rooms
- 2017-04-21 -- Earlier in the week, we collected all of the 'uncut' Wing Commander II 'sets.' Today we're following up that selection with the new rooms created for the Special Operations addon disks. A key consideration in that era of development was disk space; the mission disks could budget only a small amount of space to add new art content.
- Got Any Brilliance?
- 2017-04-20 -- In honor of April 20th, here's a quick rundown on some of the recreational drugs of the Wing Commander universe! Blaze up some Arakh Leaves or swallow an Elysium capsule and let's get started...BrillianceBrilliance is probably the Wing Commander universe's signature drugs.
- Visual Reference: Wing Commander II Rooms
- 2017-04-19 -- Wing Commander has, from the start, been called an interactive movie... and the team building the games embraced that in many aspects of the production process. For example, all of the 'talking head' scenes in Wing Commander, Wing Commander II and Privateer were constructed just like film shots, with different camera angles and purpose-built 3D environments (or sets!
- Wing One Goes Mainstream
- 2017-04-18 -- Did you miss out on The Fatman's Wing Commander soundtrack, Wing One? Good news: it's now available via mainstream digital music storefronts including Amazon and iTunes. The 27-track album includes all of the music from the original Wing Commander recorded using a Roland MT-32 (plus a few surprises, including a lullaby version of one track and a live recording of the theme from CES!
- Model Upgrade Pack Upgraded
- 2017-04-17 -- Good news for pilots who want to make their games especially pretty: DefianceIndustries has launched version 0.21 of his Wing Commander Prophecy Model Upgrade Pack. This is an unofficial update to the game that replaces the original 3D models with much higher quality, modern versions...
- Wingmen Back from the Dead!
- 2017-04-16 -- Happy Easter, WingNuts! In honor of the holiday, we present a list of Wing Commander characters who (intentionally or--often--otherwise) came back from the dead! (Presented in the spirit of good humor rather than sacrilege.
- Happy CIC Easter!
- 2017-04-16 -- Hope you all had an eggscellent Easter out there!
- Japanese Translators Needed: Mega CD Manual
- 2017-04-15 -- Remember Lyle Starbuck? That's the name used for the player character in the Mega CD port of Wing Commander I's manual! It's one of at least three original Japanese-language Wing Commander publications that we'd love to explore further.
- Pillow Talk
- 2017-04-14 -- One of my core philosophies is that you can always find a little bit of Wing Commander in the least expected places... and so I was not at all surprised when I happened across Raumstation Vokhila, a German-language blog that puts the author's DIY projects on display. It features what can only be described as a pretty cool pillow!
- Classic Game Cover Arts Funding Imminent
- 2017-04-13 -- Mike Winterbauer's Classic Game Covers book Kickstarter has reached its funding goal and is rocketing (auto-piloting?) towards the finish line! The campaign ends in just four days...
- Homeworld Mod Has Claws
- 2017-04-12 -- The Homeworld Remastered mod marches forward! L.I.
- Dralthi Fun!
- 2017-04-11 -- Remember the TrainSim (aka Squadron)? The 'arcade game' in the Tiger's Claw was both your first step into the original Wing Commander and a fun way to learn to fight the Kilrathi. Under the hood, the game treats the TrainSim as its own series of four missions (in fact, this is likely why there are four 'slots' in each series for potential missions in the first two games.
- Wing Commander Album Campaign Prep Continues
- 2017-04-10 -- There's music in the air... or, at least, we're getting closer! Wing Commander III, IV and Prophecy composed George Oldziey is continuing to make preparations for his next Wing Commander album crowdfunding project.
- Privateer 101 Stream
- 2017-04-09 -- Welcome to the Gemini Sector! I was recently lucky enough to host another live 'RSI Museum' segment for Star Citizen's Happy Hour program... this time, talking about Privateer!
- VG&CE Behind the Screens of Wing Commander
- 2017-04-08 -- Here's an especially interesting gaming magazine scan: a longer cover story from the October 1990 issue of VideoGames & Computer Entertainment magazine. Published alongside the game's release, this may have been the first on-hands 'making of' article about the game.