Deviant WC Artists Pick Up Their Pencils & Pens
gavinfoxx recently brought to our attention the abundance of Wing Commander imagery that exists over at DeviantArt. Kilrathi are especially popular, and in particular, Prince Thrakhath shows up quite a bit. The sampling below comes from DuneTiger, Daennika, spoofe, ViciousLion, Zu86 and NinjaLA. It seems that Wing Commander 3 serves as the biggest inspiration for the classic Kilrathi look, and what do you know?! Today happens to be 18th anniversary of WC3's ship date on December 8, 1994. Happy Birthday to The Heart of the Tiger!
a quick drawing of a kilrathi pilot in the cockpit
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- The Great Debate: Broadsword Color
- 2015-04-01 -- This year's viral phenomenon over whether a dress in odd light was either blue and black or white and gold has rekindled the age-old question: what color is the Broadsword in Privateer? Most Wingnuts clearly recall that the bomber was mostly green in WC2, but it has a less memorable look when flown in Gemini. Fans have long debated was color highlights cover the wingtips and forward fuselage.
- Akkbar Acquires Descent's Dice
- 2015-04-01 -- Our longtime friend Dan Akkbar Hardwicke is back on the scene with a new a business venture. He's leveraged his considerable street cred in the online space sim community to secure a sweet deal with the makers of the defunct Freespace Tactics board game. For just dollars on the penny, he's purchased 20,000 bulk sets of Freespace dice.
- Sivar's Hand Fiction and Fiction Viewer Make Headway
- 2015-03-31 -- Story progression has been at the forefront of Sivar's Hand development these past couple weeks. Aginor has sent several chapters on for editing, and he's getting deep into some of the more dramatic twists now. On a related note, Luke is also improving his fiction viewer that helps integrate the adventure into the game.
- WC RPG Makes Kilrathi Expansion Progress & Launches Art Campaign
- 2015-03-30 -- Despite spring back falling right in the middle, March has been a big month for the Wing Commander RPG Wiki. The first half was largely about setting up the adventure pages for the different acts in the Elegy of Sivar campaign. This was important as it allows capi to plug in individual missions at will now.
- WC4 Homeworld Mod Close to Kilrathi Faction
- 2015-03-29 -- Thanks to some generous help from a squadron of fellow Wingnuts, L.I.F.
- Vengeance of the WC Playthroughs
- 2015-03-28 -- Wvlfy is another prolific YouTuber that's passed under our radar for the last couple years. He's extremely prolific and has produced over 60 WC mission recordings with full commentary. Sometimes you see people who start WC1 and then get bogged down in the difficulty of The Secret Missions or SM2: Crusade.
- WC1 Almost Gave You The Finger
- 2015-03-27 -- Dondragmer's continued artistic exploits have uncovered some interesting hand gestures buried in the code of Wing Commander 1. It's likely that these were intended for the mechanic tech that greets each pilot upon landing. Note the blue sleeve versus the brown jacket around pilot hands.
- Goodbye, Sir Pratchett
- 2015-03-26 -- Discworld author Terry Pratchett passed away two weeks ago. The internet has done a much better job memorializing him than we could, but we would like to take a moment to kindly acknowledge him as a fellow Wing Commander fan. There's quite a few writers out there that share our passion for the series, and it was prominent sci-fi author Jerry Pournelle that got the prolific novelist into the series.
- SM1.5 Campaign Ported to PC with New Modding Techniques
- 2015-03-25 -- Fans have long been intrigued by the differences posed by Super Wing Commander. Ostensibly a remake of the original Wing Commander with newer graphics, the games' smattering of familiar fighters has much confusing crossover with ship models used in very different roles throughout Privateer and Armada. And while WC1 and The Secret Missions were pretty faithfully recreated in the new engine, SM2 was replaced by a brand new intermediate campaign where the Tiger's Claw seeks out and destroys the shipyards that spawned the Sivar Dreadnought.
- French Dub of WC4 DVD Playthrough Defects to the Border Worlds
- 2015-03-24 -- DocteurJ tipped us off about the second chapter in OldiesGamesTV's high quality playthrough of WC4. Just like chapter one, this episode is spoken in French thanks to a special remixing of the audio from the CD version on top of DVD edition's high res video. Even for non-French speakers, it's pretty interesting to see how the voices are dubbed in a different country.