Getting Caught Up With GameStar
Thra`Khrom has another batch of scans from GameStar magazine. The first article is a very lengthy flashback piece that's dedicated to The Heart of the Tiger. It's amazing how well the game still holds up today! There is also a fun feature on Wing Commander Privateer. Finally, a preview of Star Citizen does a good job recapping all information surrounding Chris Roberts' new game with a detailed information roundup, Q&A and many comparisons to Wing Commander.
This mail includes more articles from German PC magazine Gamestar. This pack includes the preview for Star Citizen that ran in last months issue (numbered 12/2012) as well as their hall of fame entries for Wing Commander 3 (06/2012) and Privateer (11/2005).
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Striking Station Scene Sets Stage
- 2014-09-02 -- Klavs has further branched out from his fleet renders and on to space stations. This is probably the single most elaborate recreation of WC2's Caernarvon Station ever made. Although its backwater position might make someone question why there's so much activity, the docked Exeter and flurry of other nearby ships really brings the scene to life.
- Unique Perspective on Cover Art Recounted by WC1 SNES Artist
- 2014-09-01 -- Artist Michael Winterbauer has self-published a free book with stories about his life in the game cover art business. While the standard Wing Commander box in the early '90s was made from preliminary game assets, the Super Nintendo edition of WC1 has a different setup. Many fans may not even realize that the Dralthi are flipped between the DOS and hand-painted SNES versions, and there are unique visual flairs added to the console edition created by Mr.
- Cool Off With Hot Ice Bucket Vids
- 2014-08-31 -- You've probably seen your share of ALS Ice Bucket Challenges over the last couple weeks, but just in case you haven't quite had your fill, here's a couple more from close to home. The first features Ben Lesnick and Sandi Gardiner from Roberts Space Industries going under the ice. They handle it like champs!
- It's Hard To Give Up Giving Out Wing Commander
- 2014-08-30 -- Fans who didn't grab Wing Commander 3 when it first went free on the Origin service have gotten a brief extension on their procrastinating ways. The game was originally slated to remain On The House through September 2, but this has now been pushed out to September 16. Even if you already own the GOG version, it's not a bad idea to pick this copy up.
- Wing Commander Luminaries Light Up Both Coasts
- 2014-08-29 -- Teams from Roberts Space Industries have traveled to conventions in both the northwest and southeast United States this weekend to promote Star Citizen. Up first in Seattle, Mark Abent, Chad Zamzow and WC creator Chris Roberts will be participating in the Intel panel at the Penny Arcade Expo on Friday at 2:00 pm followed by a get-together at the Logitech booth thereafter. Over in Atlanta, Dave Haddock, Alex Mayberry, long time WC documentation creator David Ladyman and CIC founder Ben Lesnick will be representing at DragonCon.
- Every Wingnut Needs Star*Soldier
- 2014-08-28 -- Did the trivia at the birthday party seem pretty tough? There's one resource that helps tie everything together. The amazing game manual for 2007's Wing Commander Arena is packed full of information on the current state of the WC universe.
- Manta Leads New Nephilim Incursion
- 2014-08-27 -- Dark Sentinel is back with a new Nephilim model. He's trying to fix the lack of bug designs in the community in the hopes that more of the exotic ships get used in various fan art and cinematics. The Manta's basic spaceframe here is almost ten times more detailed than the original Prophecy model.
- Feline Figure Formed for Future Film
- 2014-08-26 -- Klavs has taken a short break from fantastic ship models to try his hand at a modern Kilrathi. The design obviously isn't finalized, but it's a great start with a strong Thrakhath vibe. Does this mean we're in for character sequences in Tales of the Claw?
- Shades' Secret Ops Guide and Wing Commander Script Updates
- 2014-08-25 -- Just when you think the birthday fun is over there's more presents! Longtime Secret Ops aficionado Shades has some updates to his Wing Commander works.Like all of you I am a huge fan of Wing Commander and have been since the first game.
- Blair Reacts to Wing Commander 3 Giveaway
- 2014-08-24 -- Echo Sector's Cyberion was so excited to find out Origin.com is giving away Wing Commander 3 for a limited time, that he put together a tongue-in-cheek "reaction video" to celebrate the news. You have until September 2 to grab the game for the unbeatable price of zero dollars, an offer that's also valid outside the States.