Getting Caught Up With GameStar
Thra`Khrom has another batch of scans from GameStar magazine. The first article is a very lengthy flashback piece that's dedicated to The Heart of the Tiger. It's amazing how well the game still holds up today! There is also a fun feature on Wing Commander Privateer. Finally, a preview of Star Citizen does a good job recapping all information surrounding Chris Roberts' new game with a detailed information roundup, Q&A and many comparisons to Wing Commander.
This mail includes more articles from German PC magazine Gamestar. This pack includes the preview for Star Citizen that ran in last months issue (numbered 12/2012) as well as their hall of fame entries for Wing Commander 3 (06/2012) and Privateer (11/2005).
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Ninth Issue Of Destiny's Way Released
- 2016-02-09 -- The Maslas Brothers have released the first issue of Destiny's Way for 2016! It features a lengthy article about exploration on the frontier and plenty of easter eggs. Grab the full 8-page PDF here (4 megs) and stay tuned for more from the Flat Universe team soon.
- Defiance Industries Meets Douglas Aerospace
- 2016-02-08 -- DefianceIndustries has put together a really nice Hellcat, and it comes in two varieties! In the shift from Wing Commander 3 to 4, the workhorse fighter didn't just get slightly different color highlights. The earlier variant has four clear underslung guns in the same mount.
- Who Would You Be?
- 2016-02-07 -- We've got a new poll up that takes a slightly different turn than usual. Rather than asking what your favorite thing is, we're posing a question that asks if you could be a pilot besides Christopher Blair in the regular Wing Commander series, who would that be? To narrow down the options, we've selected a slate of eight pilots well known for their aggressiveness in the cockpit.
- GOG Discounts EA Games by 60-85%
- 2016-02-06 -- Good Old Games is having a unique EA Completionist sale this weekend. While individual games are 60% off, if you opt to buy all of the EA titles missing from your library, the discount jumps to a whopping 85%. The GOG catalog is up to 42 different titles from Electronic Arts, but because the discount is so high, the full slate is $41.
- WC Toolbox Adds Ship Editing Feature
- 2016-02-05 -- UnnamedCharacter has released a new version of his programming library for interfacing with Wing Commander 1's game data files. This newest beta release (3.3.
- Kilrathi Durasteel Polished For Homeworld Mod
- 2016-02-04 -- L.I.F.
- Wing Commander Finally Gets Its Due?
- 2016-02-03 -- Den of Geek recently ran an article on the 50 Underappreciated DOS Games. As one of the best selling and highest rated DOS games of all time, we'd probably agree with Space Game Junkie that Wing Commander doesn't really fit on this list. Rather, this instead seem like a missed opportunity to highlight something like Wing Commander Armada or perhaps Privateer 2.
- Ron Cobb's Wing Commander Concept Art Found!
- 2016-02-02 -- LOAF recently uncovered several pieces of exotic concept art for the Wing Commander Movie! These treasures were drafted by Ron Cobb, who is famous for creating some of the iconic imagery for Star Wars, Alien, The Last Starfighter and more. Each is dated 1997 before Chris Roberts and producer Todd Moyer decided to go in a different visual direction, although some of the promotional material such as the 1998 SFX WC magazine still credits him with the "texture" of the film.
- Star Citizen Fan Creates Wing Commanderific Squadron 42 Box
- 2016-02-01 -- Illusive_Man has mocked up a pretty clever Squadron 42 box based on the classic Wing Commander 3 art. It mirrors the original fonts, backgrounds and all of the arrangement. Mark Hamill and John Rhys-Davies' positions are the same, as is the placement of the catlike alien and their exploding ships.
- Annual Community Vote Begins!
- 2016-01-31 -- We've left 2015 in the past, but there's one more thing to do as we move further into 2016. You've sent nominations in over the past month, and now we're kicking off our annual awards to recognize the fan projects and websites that had some of the most impact over the past year. We had an even larger number of worthy projects this year than normal, and we definitely wanted to get this out before the end of January, so excuse the brief listings of each choice.
- Medium Size Capships Get Visual Upgrades & New Orders
- 2016-01-30 -- Back on the Homeworld front, L.I.F.
- The $6 Million Dollar Game Arrives on 3DO
- 2016-01-29 -- Flashback Nation, a Twitter account dedicated to all things retro, recently put up this scanned cover page of the Winter '94 issue of 3DO Magazine UK. Wing Commander 3 is featured prominently on the cover, and the issue included a review of the "$6 Million Dollar Game." The coverdisk (which appears to be free sampler disk #1) would not have included the playable 3DO demo of Wing 3.
- Border Worlds Pilot Defies His Opponent
- 2016-01-28 -- When DefianceIndustries isn't modding Secret Ops or lending support to other fan projects, what does he like to do for fun? Make a gorgeous wallpaper! This one sticks his excellent Banshee model front and center as he recreates one of the most famous advertisement renders for Wing Commander 4.
- MetalJesusRocks The Price Of Freedom
- 2016-01-27 -- Today we have Metal Jesus Rocks' review of Wing Commander 4. This was actually created a while ago, and despite MJR's popularity, managed to stay under our radar until now. The quirky reviewer covers retro gaming with a dash of his own heavy metal soundtrack tossed in.
- "Ek'rah skabak erg Thrak'Kilrah maks Cheesy Balls"
- 2016-01-26 -- LOAF recently uncovered a neat "alphabet" sheet for the Wing Commander Movie. It shows sixteen symbols of the type used in the alien scene translations. There are several very distinct Kilrathi writing styles observed from the dots and dashes in the SM2 Dralthi cockpit to the iconic Kiranka claw that debuted in Wing Commander 3.
- Universe Explored In A Flat Way
- 2016-01-25 -- Space Game Junkie recently conducted a live stream playthrough of the Wing Commander Flat Universe fan game. We've posted lots of screenshots of both the top-down action as well as the flow sequences aboard Daedalus Station, but these images don't do the game justice. Videos like the one below are much better at showing off how cool it can be to just walk around in a familiar WC setting.
- Classic Opponents Engage In Aerial Dogfight
- 2016-01-24 -- NinjaLA has combined two of the most iconic Wing Commander ships into one pretty nifty sketch. He's gotten some practice making both Dralthi and Hornets look really good lately, so it's no surprise that they're finally pictured together here. The Confed fighter needs to lean even heavier on its afterburner if it's going to avoid a pancake/wing collision though!
- Homeworld Mod Experiments With Turret Upgrades
- 2016-01-23 -- Here are some neat screenshots of another cool concept L.I.F.
- Still Time to Back the Wing Commander Album
- 2016-01-22 -- Physical copies of George Oldziey's reorchestrated Wing Commander album have been landing in mailboxes the world over. If you missed out on the crowdfunding campaign, there are still a few copies available. Fans that donate $20 to offset the remaining production and shipping costs will receive a digital copy of the album, the collectible physical CD (including a digital copy) is available for those who contribute $40 and an autographed album is $60.
- WCP Hardpoint Editor Helps Modders Mount Weapons
- 2016-01-21 -- gr1mre4per has created another useful tool for all of the folks working on Secret Ops mods and enhancements these days. As the ships become more detailed, it can actually become harder to find suitable flat surfaces to place weapons turrets. grim has streamlined that process with app designed to streamline this whole process.