DVD Case Cover Produced for The Price of Freedom
We posted several fan-made covers for Wing Commander releases at GOG this week, and it turns out that the GOG community has also made a new one for Wing Commander 4. The back page notes that this version of the game includes the special high quality DVD cutscenes, and it recaps WC4's story background and role in the history of space sims. Give the file a second to load after you click below - it's a hearty 1.9 megs to ensure a sharp print! You can find covers for the other WC rereleases here.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Time to Claim Party Prizes
- 2014-08-19 -- It's time for people who won prizes at the Birthday Party on Saturday to claim their gifts. If you won an item below, send us your IRC name, real name and address. If the item has a choice involved (which game, book, size of shirt, etc), be sure to let us know that as well.
- HP Software Shows Terran Allegiance
- 2014-08-19 -- Klavs was setting up a new computer recently and was surprised to see a familiar logo in the center of the screen! Hewlett Packard didn't just read his mind and select an appropriate Wing Commanderific avatar - the "compass" logo is the icon HP associates with new computer installations and their "Getting Started with Windows 8" app. Klavs superimposed a traditional Confederation star over the symbol and they're a very close match!
- New Wing Commander Proposal Drives IMDB Listing
- 2014-08-18 -- Last Tuesday a new IMDB page appeared for a Wing Commander film reboot slated for 2015. Fans have been understandably surprised and curious about this new development!The project description sounds similar to that of the original movie with the added addition of the 'reboot' aspect that's popular today.
- Happy 16th Belated Birthday, CIC!
- 2014-08-17 -- Happy 16th Birthday everyone! We've had another exciting year. On top of the full DOS game lineup finally being added to GOG, Electronic Arts got back into the game with several Wing Commander additions to their Origin service - they're even heavily promoting WC3 as their August 'On the House' freebie!
- Listen to Wing Commander in Concert!
- 2014-08-17 -- Since the conclusion of George Oldziey's successful Kickstarter earlier this year, he's been working to prepare Wing Commander tracks for live recording with a full orchestra. Austinites got a special preview of this album last month when a medley was performed live by the Austin Symphony in front of a huge Fourth of July audience. Shocked (and lucky!
- Wing Commander 3 Video Index Revamped
- 2014-08-17 -- Last year the Holovids section was revamped so that the inline videos would work without third-party plugins in any up to date browser, on desktop or mobile. This involved re-encoding the bulk of our videos to formats that can be played by HTML5-capable browsers. Notably, the massive Wing Commander 3 movie index was still using the old Flash technology.
- HCl's Online Ship Viewer
- 2014-08-17 -- HCl has created a viewer that allows you to see various Wing Commander ships in 3D right in your browser. Check it out here. The viewer is still a work in progress but supports a variety of 3D formats including the ship files used by the games themselves.
- Ultima Forever's Kilrathi Island is Real!
- 2014-08-17 -- When Ultima Forever launched last year, there were rumors of a quest that involved a downed Kilrathi ship. The game's untimely cancellation was announced without the easter egg ever having been found, but thanks to a little birdie, the mysterious relic has been revealed! Here's the screenshots!
- Cake Time!
- 2014-08-17 -- LOAF's amazing wife, Alexis Lesnick, baked us an amazing cake this year! The frosting looks great and I love the bright candles. Really wish I was down in Santa Monica to try it!
- Product Primers For New Players
- 2014-08-17 -- Through the CIC's Mediawiki, staff and fans have been collecting a massive amount of background information on all the Wing Commander products in existence. If you're a new player who's just (re-)discovered the series through Good Old Games or Origin, those wiki pages can be a little overwhelming. Our series background section aims to provide more of a primer for people who need the basic history of a core product, or some quick links to a piece of documentation or walkthrough.