DVD Case Cover Produced for The Price of Freedom
We posted several fan-made covers for Wing Commander releases at GOG this week, and it turns out that the GOG community has also made a new one for Wing Commander 4. The back page notes that this version of the game includes the special high quality DVD cutscenes, and it recaps WC4's story background and role in the history of space sims. Give the file a second to load after you click below - it's a hearty 1.9 megs to ensure a sharp print! You can find covers for the other WC rereleases here.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Homeworld Mod Gets Second Wind; Remastered Version In Work
- 2015-03-05 -- L.I.F.
- Sivar's Hand Mod Bounces Back
- 2015-03-04 -- Based on all the positive feedback Aginor has received lately, he's more formally relaunched development of the Sivar's Hand mod. A number of Kilrathi-styled design elements such as fighters, user interface, voices and awards are already coming together, but the story that glues the existing missions together still needs to be filled out. The game's difficulty will be tame in order to avoid scaring away less hardcore pilots and allow them to fully enjoy the experience.
- Speculative Kilrathi Flight Control Rendered
- 2015-03-03 -- Lars has previewed this interesting scene from a work center overlooking a Kilrathi hangar deck. We get just a few rare glimpses at the inner workings of Kat vessels throughout the series, and they're always cool opportunities to get a look at the really dark and creative design potential that they reveal. Lars has taken advantage of jagged shaped viewscreens and windows to set the mood, and he's got a couple of cool ship renders in the background to better set the atmosphere.
- WC RPG Sets Sights on Dynamic Mission Tree
- 2015-03-02 -- It's been another busy and productive month for the Wing Commander RPG Wiki. Our last update was just over a month ago, so that means there've been five weekly updates worth of new content. capi spent the first part of February working on stat blocks and wrapping up character creation, and then he pivoted back to work on the his Kilrathi expansion's campaign.
- WCDX Improves Again with SM2 Support
- 2015-03-01 -- It's been barely a week since the last release of WCDX, but Stinger has already achieved compatibility with The Secret Missions 2. He can also confirm that the game works with the PC Gamer KS WC1 release, so any CIC visitors can give it a try right away. There are a few minor bugs that remain, hence the beta label, but these should be resolved before long and development will proceed to Wing Commander 2.
- WC Sketches Infused With Technology
- 2015-02-28 -- There's three diverse new Wing Commander sketches by talented artist NinjaLA. The first two are drawings that were painted in on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. A Scimitar is under fire up front, and although its fuselage and wings are blended a bit more than we typically see, the acceleration absorber pods are unmistakable.
- Get Academy's Claw in 3D
- 2015-02-27 -- The Academy animated series features a familiar but distinct design for the Bengal strike carrier that's always been one of my favorites. Community member unfortunatecrow kept staring at freeze frames of the Tiger's Claw until he could piece together a 3D representation. The resulting model is some 5.
- Kilrathi Mod Reconnects With Fans
- 2015-02-26 -- It's been a while since we last heard about Aginor's Kilrathi-perspective WC mod, but he's provided a status update to let everyone know the project's still in the works. In its early days there was considerable feedback gathered on how to manage the Kilrathi look and feel. Then over the years missions and features were implemented, so the primary outstanding tasks relate to the finalizing the story, adding some art and completing some voiceovers.
- Oldies Games Upgrades Its WC4 Profile
- 2015-02-25 -- OldiesGamesTV has remade their French language profile of Wing Commander 4. The previous edition was based on the CD release, so they've remixed the English DVD edition with French voiceovers and other sound. This is really cool for Francophones who'd like to see the higher quality movies!
- WCDX Updated With Secret Missions Support
- 2015-02-24 -- Stinger has released a new 1.1 beta of WCDX that now plays The Secret Missions. There was a funky cursor bug that delayed release (pictured below), but it's now been resolved.