Klavs Cooking Up Kilrathi Heavy Hitters
Klavs has a few more physical ship models on the way, and these present some fearsome opposition to his mostly Confed lineup. The Gratha and Jalthi are now in the design phase, and they look pretty imposing when compared with the workhorse Scimitar. Hopefully the cost of rapid prototyping continues to decline so that large versions of these ships become practical to make someday!
That means I can afford to prototype a couple new ships for the holidays! Went with Michelle D's Gratha Gondola idea, and thanks to Howard Day for letting me use his Jalthi as the basis for this current monstrosity!
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Help Save Academy, Get Rewards, Watch LOAF Dance!
- 2016-10-20 -- The campaign to archive and digitize the lost art of Wing Commander Academy has reached a major milestone! Ten of the thirty boxes available have now been funded. LOAF has posted a cool video thanking everyone for their support and sharing some of the interesting discoveries that this project has already uncovered such as ship names and confirmation of suspected universe lore information.
- Watch WC Album's Reorchestration Process
- 2016-10-19 -- George Oldziey has posted the first update to his campaign to make a second symphonic Wing Commander album. It's a video that goes into great detail about the process he uses to recreate his classic WC music for a live orchestra. There's some very interesting technical challenges as well as clever techniques that he employs to bring everything together - a lot of work goes into it!
- All Talented Hands To Action Stations
- 2016-10-18 -- We're past the half way point of Inktober, and NinjaLA has kept up the daily sketching! He's got two new Wing Commander drawings that are pretty nifty. The first features a well-accomplished Confed pilot stepping away from her fighter after a mission.
- Nephilim Fleet Invades Solar Empire
- 2016-10-17 -- Last week we saw a variety of smaller Nephilim ships added to the Wing Commander mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. Now we can see Nomada_Firefox's larger mainline craft: the Orca destroyer, Hydra cruiser, Leviathan carrier and Kraken shipkiller. It's a pretty well-outfitted bug fleet!
- Help Preserve Wing Commander Academy!
- 2016-10-16 -- Archiving Wing Commander material is a subject that's very near and dear to us here at the CIC. From the University of Texas to EA Mythic and dozens of other projects, we've been on a mission to preserve Wing Commander history for nearly two decades. The next great adventure kicks off today as we attempt to save thousands of pieces of artwork created during the production of Wing Commander Academy.
- WCM Tape Conversion Complete!
- 2016-10-15 -- LOAF recently completed a very cool archiving project. Over a hundred tapes full of production material from the Wing Commander Movie have been digitized! They include a variety of things such as content for computer displays and background recording of the sets.
- Second Wing Commander Album Kickstarter Launched!
- 2016-10-14 -- The campaign to create a second album of fully orchestrated Wing Commander music is now live! Origin composer George Oldziey has kicked things off with a recap of the fantastic efforts Wing Commander fans undertook in 2014. Last time, more than $46,000 was raised to enable the live recording of fantastic WC music with a full symphony.
- Homeworld Mod Gets New Rapier & Maybe Snakeir Next
- 2016-10-13 -- You've seen DefianceIndustries' high res beauty shots, and here's the pictures of the new Border Worlds Rapier in L.I.F.
- Well Armed Rapier Patrols The Frontier
- 2016-10-12 -- The venerable Rapier has been outfitted for the Border Worlds in DefianceIndustries' latest design. It's a derivative of the variant seen in Wing Commander 2 with some nice streamlining improvements to the cockpit and airframe, plus a badass stormfire gun mounted underneath. There's also a light coat of rusty UBW paint applied here and there.
- Solar Empire Mod Branches Out With More Nephilim Designs
- 2016-10-11 -- Nomada_Firefox's Nephilim fighters were a big hit, so he's moved on to even more designs. The first shots below reveal the Triton transport and Lamprey utility ship, but he's actually evolved beyond that to several new designs that will fill critical roles in his Wing Commander mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. Lots of people have made new human and Kilrathi craft over the years, but original Nephilim designs are pretty rare.
- Prophecy Unlimited Removes Ship Limit & Enhances Gun Mechanics
- 2016-10-10 -- gr1mre4per has taken the Vision Engine to new heights yet again for his Prophecy Unlimited project. Now that many of the constraints on individual ships have been lifted, he's moved on to hacking the engine to allow for vast numerous of objects at one time. The screenshot below shows off hundreds of dogfighting fighters - check out that radar display!
- Heads Up! New Poll Inbound
- 2016-10-09 -- There's a new poll today that asks what your favorite heads up display is. Is it one of the early optional virtual HUDs that just dropped away the physical dashboard? Or did you prefer one of the later purpose-built displays designed for maximum visibility?
- Privateer 2.39: The Cheapening
- 2016-10-09 -- GOG.com has an unusual sale going through Monday where a mixed bag of EA games are on sale. Each title is 60% off individually, and the whole lot is 85% off.
- Visit The Argent Sector's Slickest CIC
- 2016-10-08 -- Flat Universe's latest picture update features the CIC! Not the CIC here at WCNews.com, but rather, the combat information center for Daedalus Station.
- Late Night Dub Fight: Wing Commander 3
- 2016-10-07 -- Improv troupe Late Night Dub Fight puts a new twist on classic cartoons, videogames and movies by redubbing the voices as show host Ian Horner picks the video material and assigns a character to each panelist. At PAX East in Boston, the group turned their attention to part of the Wing Commander 3 introduction. about Wing 3.
- Solar Empire Mod Adds Nephilim Fighters
- 2016-10-06 -- Now that the Wing Commander mod for Sins of a Solar Empire has a good mix of Confed and Kilrathi fighters, Nomada_Firefox has turned to some very interesting Nephilim additions. They have the ability to conduct the bugs' trademark combination/separation modes depending on whether heavy firepower or swarm tactics are preferred. Up first is the Stingray.
- Wing Commander Drawings Highlight Inktober Campaign
- 2016-10-05 -- NinjaLA is celebrating Inktober with a new sketch every day. Several of his first week's drawings have featured some pretty slick Wing Commander material. His kickoff art included another take on his elliptical angle Dralthi, and it was followed up by Hornet seen from a capship's viewport.
- Jammin' Out With the Homeworld Mod
- 2016-10-04 -- The Black Lance is about to have another powerful tool added to its arsenal when the new Clarkson based Jammer comes online. Similar to its effects in the Peleus System, the ship will project a field that seriously disrupts electronic signals. For a player able to leverage their enhanced technology, the Black Lance sound like a pretty powerful faction in the game.
- Still Haven't Heard Enough Of Khasra!
- 2016-10-03 -- David Lanzafame got a great response to his WC2 Thrakhath/Emperor voiceover recreation, so he's gone ahead and rerecorded the entire intro. He voices a pretty compelling Blair, and his Khasra effect is an interesting choice. When they originally made Wing Commander 2, could they have possibly imagined people would be doing their own impersonations of Thrakhath's cousin more than twenty-five years later?!
- Flat Universe Shows Off Wear & Tear
- 2016-10-02 -- The MaslasBrothers are back at it again with another preview of Wing Commander Flat Universe. Today's update shows off the enhanced level of detail that they've added to their ships. This time there's a special emphasis on weathering effects.