Aspiring Wing Commander modders are still using Flight Commander to build their own campaigns, and eddieb is hard at work on the next version of the game engine to give them even more abilities. A full release is still a ways off, but some exciting improvements have already been integrated. Feature and issue progress can be followed on the tracker here. Download the current version of the mission builder here
Some have been asking what features will be in 1.7. I'm about to get married, so the wedding is my priority, and I won't be able to release anything until afterwards. But here's what I already got done
And here's some items that are partially done
- AI uses decoys against dumbfires
- Display shield flash when hitting shielded part of a cap ship
- Music change on Torpedo run
- Change shield color
- Add after debriefing movie.
- Add a timer with a callback for scripting
- Show ship name in the viewer
- In-game lua console
- weapons xml tag
- Mission timer wrong when pausing
- Multiple friendly wings
- More comms, and the AI to use them. For example, the AI congratulates you on a kill. Announces it is taking over the wing when the wingleader dies.
- More interactive menus in the gameflow. Buttons will highlight when you mouse over them, the scrollbars work. More stats and fiction in the ship viewer.
- An improved mission editor
- Give the user a choice of joystick