BREAKING NEWS: New Arena HD Trailer!
... but wait, there's more! GameTrailers has posted another new Wing Commander Arena video. It's called "Galactic Battle Gameplay" and shows off some hardcore action on the 'Proving Grounds' map. It's not as long as the earlier video updates, but it still manages to reveal some fantastic details - including a classic 'box target' system and another fighter, the Rapier II Cavalier. "Galactic Battle Gameplay" is available in two different formats:
BREAKING NEWS: Three New HD Videos
This day just keeps getting better: GameSpot has posted three more High Definition video previews of Wing Commander Arena! The first shows off the Space Station map, the second is melee combat in the Boneyard and the third is capship combat. There are some huge surprises here, including a lineup of F/A-76 Longbow bombers parked at the Space Station and a big Kilrathi face carved into an asteroid in the Boneyard! No Wing Commander continuity, eh? You can find all three online here.
BREAKING NEWS: Arena Preview #9
Another one bites the dust: GamersInfo.net has posted yet another hands-on preview of Wing Commander Arena. This article is very well done; it divides the game into specific areas (sound, controls, graphics, etc.). The word is good:
Wing Commander: Arena picks up the franchise and moves it into a new direction, away from a space sim to a space shooter. EA did a great job in carefully including as much of the old as they move forward with the new, and in the end it looks like they succeeded. I know I’m eagerly anticipating the release of this game.
See it all here.
BREAKING NEWS: Arena Preview #8
"Edgy" gaming news site Kotaku has posted their impressions of Wing Commander Arena. As with the GameSpy preview this morning, they were disappointed that it "wasn't Wing Commander"... but they were pleased with the game itself. While their criticism is somewhat understandable, it should be clear to everyone reading this that Electronic Arts has gone to extreme lengths to make sure Arena incorporates many elements of the Wing Commander continuity -- and I will personally guarantee that you'll be seeing a lot more in the coming weeks. Read the whole thing here.
I asked one of the EA guys about that and he told me that the cockpit view just didn't fit with this version of the game. Mostly, he said, because the game is so fast-paced and can have up to 15 others in the game dog-fighting with you. He also said it' a view that can make you motion sick... and I know what that's like.
The best thing to come from this article are a pair of photos from the preview event, one of which shows the control layout:
BREAKING NEWS: New HD Movies & Preview Article
IGN joins the fray with even more exciting Wing Commander Arena content -- an all-new preview and two High Definition gameplay videos! They have to be seen to be believed! You can watch the videos here and read the entire preview here. From the Preview:
Your choice of craft also determines what types of special maneuvers are available. All can be piloted with the two thumbsticks, but the two lighter models are capable of performing forward and backward loops, hops, 180 degree turns, and barrel rolls. The heavier ships turn much more slowly and can't perform such acrobatics, instead relying on their thicker armor and more powerful weaponry and gadgets. The game maps all four of your ships weapons to the triggers and bumpers, all of which can be fired simultaneously. Assuming you can get on someone's tail, they go down pretty quickly. Pressing Y activates the more specialized gadgets, which include flares, cloaks, and sonar.
- Video #1 - "Shoot Those Missiles" (43.9 MB, .WMV)
- Video #2 - "Do a Barrel Roll" (48.7 MB, .WMV)
Arena Preview - GameSpy
Electronic Arts held their "Summer Preview 2007" last night, which included a demo of Wing Commander Arena for the press. As such, we expect to see several previews in the next few days... and the first up is GameSpy:
Wing Commander Arena seems to evoke Subspace's hectic vibe brilliantly. While there is a single-player component, the game is all about the multiplayer. 16 players can battle it out on a variety of different maps -- some of which are wide-open, while others more "mazey" -- in either free-for-all battles, or team matches. The action takes place on a 2D plane, with a few key concessions that utilize the Z-axis, evasive maneuvers like loops and barrel rolls and. Attacks are mapped to your triggers and shoulder buttons, with each one deploying a different weapon.
You can read the entire article here. Their primary complaint is that the game doesn't have any depth of mythology, and I can say from personal experience that that aint so. We're going to see some neat continuity material before this is over...
Scan OXM's Arena Preview For Yourself
Here's a closer look at this month's OXM preview of Wing Commander Arena. The transcript was posted earlier. It's great to see the game in print, though the author is oddly focused on the Wing Commander movie. Despite this conspicuous digression, the magazine is very positive about Arena and its imminent success on XBox Live.
Fortunately, we're not just talking about Asteroids with the Wing Commander name slapped on it. Famous ships (18 in total) from both the Terran and Kilrathi sides are available in different classes -- bombers, fighters, and so on... Four single-player modes are included, but it's the 16-player online play that distinguishes Arena from the pack.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans. Recent updates:
- Hats Off To New FMV Record Holder
- 2017-12-11 -- Games that feature full motion video have undergone a bit of a renaissance over the past two years with a handful of innovative adventures hitting the market since 2015's Her Story. Two decades of dormancy, however, let Wing Commander reign as king of the genre in a number of ways. Now, one game has passed Wing Commander 4 for quantity of FMV, and The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker has the Guiness World Record to prove it!
- WC1 Live Viewer Now Displays Medal Points
- 2017-12-10 -- UnnammedCharacter has released an update to his WC1 Live Viewer program. The previous iteration of the app displayed game state statistics on flying objects throughout the battle space in your Wing Commander 1 game. It's not an editor, but rather, it can be paired with things like the WC Toolbox to help understand what's going on behind the scenes.
- Check Out Rebel Galaxy's Delightful Blueprint
- 2017-12-09 -- The creators of Rebel Galaxy, already well known for their incredible Privateer April Fools commercial earlier this year, have made another awesome Wing Commander tribute. They've created a fighter diagram for the game's Coyote fighter that's a perfect match to the style of WC1's blueprints. Sure looks like Howie is having fun!
- Backers' Wing Commander Album Scores Released
- 2017-12-08 -- Wing Commander fans who pledged for the second Wing Commander album at the $80 level and above now have a treat waiting for them. The PDF digital scores for the seventeen expected orchestral tracks have been released. Contributors can now log in to their Kickstarter Message Inbox for a special note from George Oldziey with a download link and access password.
- Homeworld Mod Now Spoofs Missiles
- 2017-12-07 -- Yet another new feature has been added to the Homeworld Remastered Mod. Electronic Countermeasures are now available to the fighter fleet so that they have a much more robust defense against large missile salvos. Check out this post for exact effectiveness percentages by model.
- Hornet Zooms Towards The Action
- 2017-12-06 -- NinjaLA is back with a nifty sketch that shows off his "gradient mask coloring" technique. There are two images this time so you can see how things begin as a simple pencil sketch... and progress into a very sleek Hornet!
- Nephilim Added To Star Trek Armada 2 Mod
- 2017-12-05 -- The Wing Commander mod for Star Trek Armada 2 has added a major new faction to the game. A full lineup of Nephilim capships and fighters have filled out the ranks and is set to invade the spacelanes. Each individual starship is beautiful, but check out the battle scenes.
- Recording Session Set For WC Bar Music!
- 2017-12-04 -- There's a pretty sizable update on the progress of George Oldziey's second Wing Commander album today. A date has been set now for early February to do the live recording of the WC bar music. It'll be performed in George's personal studio in Austin.
- The Voices Of War Speak Many Languages
- 2017-12-03 -- Christian Klein, the Pixel Engineer, has dug up a really cool version of Wing Commander Armada. This one's made for the Japanese PC-98 computer. There's so much to love on every inch of the box here, but my favorite might be the dark red disks with Japanese text.
- We're Number 239!
- 2017-12-02 -- Polygon has put together a massive a feature on the 500 best games of all time. Wing Commander has made many, many such lists in its time, but this might be the longest - and furthest down - that we've seen it ever rank on. I can imagine it's really hard to qualitatively score a hundred games across many disparate genres, let alone five times that number, so it's kind of interesting to scroll through and see what they ended up with.
- Wing Commander Teaches 3D
- 2017-12-01 -- AD found a nifty Wing Commander feature in Isaac Kerlow's The Art of 3D: Computer Animation and Effects which includes snippets from the Wing Commander Movie. The shots are interesting because they break down certain scenes into the various elements that get composited together to produce the finished frame for the film. The book was published just a couple years after WC was released, so computer animation was still a groundbreaking field.
- Homeworld Mod Improves Skipper Missile Execution
- 2017-11-30 -- The latest updates to the Homeworld Remastered Mod are all about the Skipper Missile. Several iterations have been released that update the Skipper's code to properly cloak and decloak as it cruises through space. There have also been AI tweaks to better guide when the computer deploys the missile as well as bug fixes that address an issue with deploying it against large bases.
- New WC Toolbox Release Adds WC2 & Academy Support
- 2017-11-29 -- UnnamedCharacter is back with an awesome upgrade to his WC Toolbox application. The program allows aspiring modders unprecedented ease of access to play around with and tweak some of the core elements of the original Wing Commander games. Previous versions have allowed for ship editing, revision of the in-game text, new copy protection questions and more!
- Avoid The Node
- 2017-11-28 -- Dark Sentinel still has some of the fearsome capships like the Hydra under construction in his shipyards, but he's let loose a smaller pair of ships this week. This time we get to see the Ray node and its smaller Remora counterparts. When Prophecy was released twenty years ago, this ship was a real oddball.
- Cyber Monday Discounts Abound For WC Fans
- 2017-11-27 -- If you're still searching for the perfect present after Black Friday, Cyber Monday gives you a great opportunity to give the gift of Wing Commander. GOG currently has the Wing Commander series for 75% off, which brings it down to just $11.92 for all DOS/Windows games (you may need to add them to your cart individually).
- Fralthi Fights For Furball Frontier
- 2017-11-26 -- The Kilrathi kick continues for the Secret Ops Model Upgrade Pack with another brown durasteel capship. This time the Fralthi II joins the fray, which actually stars in the beginning of Prophecy. Our pilots encounter it partially destroyed, which is why we're lucky enough to get the artsy damaged version here.
- Extreme Fun Pak Pushed Gamers To The Edge
- 2017-11-25 -- If you're tied into the Apple ecosystem, then there's a good chance you've encountered a billion ads for discounted iPads and similar products as you navigated the Black Friday holiday salescape this weekend. But if you were to roll back the clock by twenty-one years and put yourselves in the shoes of a Mac customer in 1996, you'd have seen some significantly different products. One of them would have been this official "Apple Quality Bundle" "For Serious Gamers.
- Tom Wilson Bouncing Around The Vlogosphere
- 2017-11-24 -- As we first reported last year, actor Tom Wilson is doing a pretty good job of maintaining his YouTube Vlog channel. He doesn't post nearly as often as some of the big stars out there, but his video posts are pretty funny and provide interesting insight into what he's got going on in life. The first video below provides a glimpse into his art show, then he's got a new song, and finally he takes his fans with him on a trip to Australia.
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- 2017-11-23 -- The holiday season is now in full swing, and Wingnuts in the US are celebrating Thanksgiving today! As the story goes, we give thanks for the assistance given the European Pilgrims and the Native Americans who cooperated with them. Although 100% unrelated, this is a fantastic opportunity to remind everyone about the super cool Wing Commander Pilgrim-related item hiding in the CIC archives.
- Annual Call For Award Nominations
- 2017-11-22 -- Another busy year is flying by, and before we know it, 2017 will be coming to a close. To start to get things in order, we're now thinking about nominees for our traditional Web Site & Fan Project of the Year Awards. There are so many fans doing great things out there, so this is our chance to acknowledge some of their fantastic efforts.