Thou Shouldst Not Dorkir That, Avatar
Gaijin sent us a neat screenshot. This Origin in-joke appeared in Super Wing Commander -- if you sat and watched the Tiger's Claw's lounge long enough, a surprising figure would pass by the window. Who is it? The Avatar from Origin's Ultima series of games -- he appears in Super Wing Commander just as he did at the start of Ultima VII Part 2, flying through space to Serpent Isle. I guess that makes up for the Bloodfang-class fighter which appeared in Ultima VII (details)!
New WINE Plays Prophecy Smoothly
It may have taken six years, but Wing Commander fans running Linux seem to have a pretty robust platform to play their favorite windows-based games now. Mike Wagener reports that WINE version 0.9.13 and later can now play Wing Commander Prophecy without any special patches, tweaks or complex configuration. The results for him are smooth with no movie skipping or glitches during spaceflight. Mike's test system was an AMD64 X2 4400+ with Debian Unstable installed. The random crashes and other bugs we reported a couple years ago seem to have been fixed for the most part. Older Wing Commander games can still be played on Mac and Lunix systems via DOSBox.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Jalthi Packs a Punch in Beat Hazard
- 2014-07-28 -- Shaggy's planned WC1 Beat Hazard lineup is complete with the addition of the Jalthi. Predictably, this one is a beast with its heavy gun load out. There's now nine Vega Sector favorites available to fly while enemies are generated to the sound of your own music.
- Twitch Stream Explorers Original Wing Commander
- 2014-07-27 -- Whistler reports that BadNewsBaron is in the process of broadcasting a play-through of Wing Commander 1. The Baron is known for live streaming Star Citizen footage on Twitch, and he's turning back the clock a bit to see where Chris Roberts got started in space sims. If you're not familiar with Twitch, it take a concept like YouTube a step further by integrating live video, real time viewer interaction and a heavy emphasis on video game content.
- Sounding Off About Obscure Sound Cards
- 2014-07-26 -- LOAF was catching up on some early '90s issues of CGW this morning and came across several sound card advertisements that exemplify the times. It's been many years since people have had to spend much thought on the particular sound card for their new PC, but back in 1992, the market was on fire. Over just a couple short years, the industry converted from simple beeps & boops to dynamic music and digitized speech.
- Thrakhath Sets Off For Earth
- 2014-07-25 -- The Confed homeworld has more to fear than a Shiraak! The Hakagas that were under construction in the far flung reaches of the Empire have been completed and are on the move. Everything about the vessel in Klavs' latest render feels heavy and well armored.
- Mark Hamill on Star Wars
- 2014-07-24 -- The BBC caught up with Mark Hamill at the Guardians of the Galaxy red carpet event in London. They spoke briefly about the new Star Wars trilogy, which has recently started filming. Luke Skywalker is one of several characters from the original trilogy to have a supporting role.