Thou Shouldst Not Dorkir That, Avatar
Gaijin sent us a neat screenshot. This Origin in-joke appeared in Super Wing Commander -- if you sat and watched the Tiger's Claw's lounge long enough, a surprising figure would pass by the window. Who is it? The Avatar from Origin's Ultima series of games -- he appears in Super Wing Commander just as he did at the start of Ultima VII Part 2, flying through space to Serpent Isle. I guess that makes up for the Bloodfang-class fighter which appeared in Ultima VII (details)!
New WINE Plays Prophecy Smoothly
It may have taken six years, but Wing Commander fans running Linux seem to have a pretty robust platform to play their favorite windows-based games now. Mike Wagener reports that WINE version 0.9.13 and later can now play Wing Commander Prophecy without any special patches, tweaks or complex configuration. The results for him are smooth with no movie skipping or glitches during spaceflight. Mike's test system was an AMD64 X2 4400+ with Debian Unstable installed. The random crashes and other bugs we reported a couple years ago seem to have been fixed for the most part. Older Wing Commander games can still be played on Mac and Lunix systems via DOSBox.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Starship Tactics Checks In With Demo Video
- 2015-06-29 -- Arraen is back to share the first gameplay video of his Wing Commander strategy mod, Starship Tactics. The clip shows off some Dorkir convoy raiding by a Confed corvette. This is actually a major role that the Ventures would have played during the war, although we so rarely get to see them engage in activity like this in the series.
- Fantastic Bearcat Model Available For Download
- 2015-06-28 -- Last year Klavs released a pair of large Terran and Kilrathi model archives that included over a gigabyte of ships. Multiple fan projects have taken advantage of his generosity and are sporting some pretty slick looking craft these days. But he's continued to make new fighters!
- SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Explodes Before Orbit
- 2015-06-28 -- After half a dozen successful resupply missions, SpaceX launches to the International Space Station were almost becoming routine. Unfortunately, a Falcon 9 carrying a new payload to the ISS detonated on the way up this morning. The good news is that the mission was unmanned, but the loss is greater than simple supplies.
- Academy Gauntlet Dissected
- 2015-06-27 -- WC Academy's 15-level gauntlet is a notorious time-sink. Each level consists of three enemy waves, and with each wave you face more and tougher opponents. Selecting the right ship and wingman can be as important as your own combat skills, so it helps to know what you'll come up against in the later levels.
- New Border Worlds Eye Candy About To Head Home
- 2015-06-26 -- DefianceIndustries has shifted focus a bit from Nephilim designs to work on what the Border Worlds has to offer. While the UBW had quite an intense fan following in the years after Wing Commander 4's release, it's a little less common these days to see their craft in the mix. One of the major projects to incorporate a Border Worlds faction today is the Homeworld mod, which has been actively working with several independent and talented fans to help upgrade its assets.
- Sins of a Solar Empire Mod Revises Ship Strategy
- 2015-06-25 -- M3RcAden has been a little quiet lately, but he's back with a status update on his WC mod for the Sins of a Solar Empire strategy game. Work slowed when he encountered issues creating ships, so he's started on a new method to get them into the game. A cruiser, light carrier and heavy carrier are already starting to shape up nicely.
- Priv Retrospective Starts Exploring The Troy System
- 2015-06-24 -- RugePlus has kicked off a new "Let's Play" series covering Wing Commander Privateer. There have been quite a few people interested in profiling the main games in the franchise, but Priv has gotten much less attention. The mission structure of the core games makes for attractive bite-size episodes, and a free-form adventure can be harder to review.
- Importing Ships to WC2 Engine About To Get Easier
- 2015-06-23 -- Wing Commander editing god HCl has been busy this year, but he hasn't forgotten about his efforts to import ships into the original game engines like WC2 or Academy. His latest project involves creating a kind of converter that will take regular 3D models and transform them into the array of sprites that the original WC games used to display and scale ships. The results are very promising and could open a whole new world of early WC modding!
- Source Art For Two German WC Books Uncovered
- 2015-06-22 -- Wing Commander's always been extremely popular in Germany, and the official German translations of the WC novels were highly anticipated back in the year 2000. Their weird sci-fi covers were always a bit of a mystery though, which we mostly just calked up to some international licensing/contract issue. LOAF was recently able to track down the source of two odd pieces of art.
- Incredible Tarsus Is Ready To Do Work
- 2015-06-21 -- We've got another gorgeous model from Klavs to kick off your week. There's a lot of mainline Confed and Kilrathi attack craft in his massive library, but this time Klavs took a civilian ship out for a spin. The Tarsus has a really iconic shape that just oozes character (and other fluids).