Thou Shouldst Not Dorkir That, Avatar
Gaijin sent us a neat screenshot. This Origin in-joke appeared in Super Wing Commander -- if you sat and watched the Tiger's Claw's lounge long enough, a surprising figure would pass by the window. Who is it? The Avatar from Origin's Ultima series of games -- he appears in Super Wing Commander just as he did at the start of Ultima VII Part 2, flying through space to Serpent Isle. I guess that makes up for the Bloodfang-class fighter which appeared in Ultima VII (details)!
New WINE Plays Prophecy Smoothly
It may have taken six years, but Wing Commander fans running Linux seem to have a pretty robust platform to play their favorite windows-based games now. Mike Wagener reports that WINE version 0.9.13 and later can now play Wing Commander Prophecy without any special patches, tweaks or complex configuration. The results for him are smooth with no movie skipping or glitches during spaceflight. Mike's test system was an AMD64 X2 4400+ with Debian Unstable installed. The random crashes and other bugs we reported a couple years ago seem to have been fixed for the most part. Older Wing Commander games can still be played on Mac and Lunix systems via DOSBox.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans. Recent updates:
- Follow the Arrow Model
- 2017-05-23 -- Sci-fi model kit builder Alfred Wong is making something every Wing Commander fan is going to want: a 1/48 scale Arrow model kit! Mr. Wong designs and produces his own model kits covering a variety of awesome sci-fi ships...
- Cube 3: Cubanate
- 2017-05-22 -- As part of my ongoing quest for industrial music tangentially connected to Wing Commander Prophecy, I happened across an interesting description of a CD from a group called Cubanate: "The group has also tried their hand at writing music for video games, the album track "Airport Bar" will appear on the home vid Wing Commander 5 -- Prophecy." Further research indicated that this was part of the album's 'iMuze' description, which has over the years fed it to thousands of eBay auctions, electronic storefronts and other databases.But what was Cubanate and how was it connected to Wing Commander Prophecy?
- Video Games Reviews Wing Commander
- 2017-05-21 -- Letâs close out the week with two more vintage reviews. These are from the difficult-to-Google VideoGames magazine, which covered console gaming in the 1990s. The November 1993 issue (pictured with cover) gave a positive review to Wing Commander: The Secret Missions for the SNES, while the July 1995 issue praised Wing Commander III for the 3DO.
- Lazy Game Reviews Covers Wing Commander
- 2017-05-20 -- Noted YouTube retrogamer Lazy Game Reviews (LGR) has just tackled our favorite: the original Wing Commander! Lazy Game Reviews produces excellent reviews of classic gaming and tech subjectsâ¦ and this one is no exception. If you need to explain Wing Commander to someone unfamiliar with the series, this is a great way to start.
- Kilrathi Warrior Busts Some Skulls
- 2017-05-19 -- The April 1994 issue of Electronic Entertainment has a short-but-interesting preview of Wing Commander III! It's fascinating to see an article that isn't especially focused on the addition of live action cutscenes... but this scan is most exciting because it includes two early concept sketches for the game: an Excalibur fighter and an initial, somewhat terrifying sketch of a Kilrathi!
- End Run Still Coming
- 2017-05-18 -- Good news for patient Wing Commander eBook readers: the ebook re-release of Wing Commander: End Run (Book #2) is still in the works. In response to an inquiry, Baen replied via Twitter:It's in process, but I don't have a date as yet. We have to work it into the schedule, but keep checking the bundles!
- Hakaga to Scale
- 2017-05-17 -- NinjaLA is BACK... with a herd of cats! Ninja recently tried his hand at drawing a Kilrathi Hakaga-class carrier in the same style as Claw Marks.
- Acronym Party: VG&CE on WC2
- 2017-05-16 -- Video Games & Computer Entertainment was the first outlet to cover the 'making of' a Wing Commander game, with a cover story on the making of the original game (available here.) Today, we're looking at their articles for the second game in the series, Vengeance of the Kilrathi. The first two pages are from the January 1991 issue which reviewed Wing Commander II.
- Armada II Mod Returns
- 2017-05-15 -- It's not uncommon for mods to disappear... so it's also a nice surprise when they come back! Back in 2012, Janos Miklos worked to convert the Star Trek Armada Wing Commander TC to the newer Star Trek Armada II platform.
- PC Format on Wing Commander II
- 2017-05-14 -- PC Format, a UK-based gaming magazine that would go on to have a close relationship with Origin Systems, published their first issue in 1991. Of interest to us, however, is issue 2: the November, 1991 edition of the magazine was absolutely chock full of Wing Commander II. As you can see, Wing Commander II gets a four page review, a picture on the cover and even a letter in their 'Q&A' section.
- Here Come the Books!
- 2017-05-13 -- Surprise: the printed Classic Game Cover Art books the Wing Commander community helped Mike Winterbauer create through his Kickstarter are already printed! Mr. Winterbauer has received the print run and is beginning to ship them out to supporters now.
- GOG Weekend Sale Runs the Series
- 2017-05-12 -- Still holding out on picking up digital copies of the greatest games ever made? It seems unlikely, as you're visiting the Wing Commander community hub in 2017 AD... but just in case, GOG are having another weekly sale that covers the entire Wing Commander series!
- Back to The Awakening
- 2017-05-11 -- Last month, we reported about the history of one of the 'inspired by' tracks on the Wing Commander Prophecy Original Soundtrack. Specifically, that the song 'The Awakening' by German electronic group Das Ich was an English-language 'Wing Commander' adaptation of one of their earlier songs. At the time, we noted the English version had only ever been available on the Prophecy soundtrack.
- Chasing Saturn
- 2017-05-10 -- The year is 1995 and it is the height of a pitched battle between console manufacturers. These are Thunderdome rules: five systems enter, one system leaves. The stakes are much greater than just the current generation of console hardware; what happens here will set a course for decades of game development.
- EGM: Previews & Cheats
- 2017-05-09 -- Several weeks ago, we posted a collection of Wing Commander reviews from the heydey of Electronic Games Monthly. Today, we're following that with another two selections of Wing Commander articles. The first is an assortment of previews, which cover Wing Commander and The Secret Missions for the SNES and then Wing Commander 3 for the 3DO and Playstation.
- Wing Commander Prophecy Demo Updated
- 2017-05-08 -- PopsiclePete has a slightly crazy update for us today: he has released a new version of the 1997 Wing Commander Prophecy Demo which fixes a small graphical error. The original demo displayed a small line next to each ship VDU... and with this update, that has been fixed!
- RSI Museum Brings the A Games
- 2017-05-07 -- I was recently honored to appear on another episode of RSI Museum, the Cloud Imperium Gamesâ livestream that talks about the history of games that influenced Star Citizen. This time, we talked about (and took a look at) Wing Comanderâs Academy, Armada and Arena. Enjoy!
- A Whisper of Games That Weren't
- 2017-05-06 -- Here's a sad reminder of two games that weren't, straight from the pages of issue 12 of the United Kingdom's official 3DO Magazine. This issue follows a disappointing 1996 E3 presentation in which the 3DO company did not show any progress on their long-promised M2 console... the writing on the wall already being clear to everyone (except possibly the editors of the official 3DO magazine) that Sony's PlayStation had vanquished all competitors.
- But Wait, There's More Ribbons!
- 2017-05-05 -- Yesterday's great Claw Marks coloring project reminded us that the Wing Commander I ribbons have actually been colorized twice before: in Japanese manuals for console ports of the game! First, the Super Famicom (Super Nintendo) version offers a pretty but ultimately bizarre colorized chart in which none of the ribbons even match the designs in the game. Later, the Mega CD (Sega CD) version included a proper chart that identifies the medals correctly!
- Ribbons Get Color Correction
- 2017-05-04 -- Here's a cool surprise: marcomads has updated Claw Marks to feature the correct 'ribbon' colors! Wing Commander I awarded 'ribbons' for various achievements which were displayed on your character's uniform in the locker (and during medal ceremonies.) Ribbons were issued each time you flew a new fighter or when you completed a certain number of missions or kills.