Thou Shouldst Not Dorkir That, Avatar
Gaijin sent us a neat screenshot. This Origin in-joke appeared in Super Wing Commander -- if you sat and watched the Tiger's Claw's lounge long enough, a surprising figure would pass by the window. Who is it? The Avatar from Origin's Ultima series of games -- he appears in Super Wing Commander just as he did at the start of Ultima VII Part 2, flying through space to Serpent Isle. I guess that makes up for the Bloodfang-class fighter which appeared in Ultima VII (details)!
New WINE Plays Prophecy Smoothly
It may have taken six years, but Wing Commander fans running Linux seem to have a pretty robust platform to play their favorite windows-based games now. Mike Wagener reports that WINE version 0.9.13 and later can now play Wing Commander Prophecy without any special patches, tweaks or complex configuration. The results for him are smooth with no movie skipping or glitches during spaceflight. Mike's test system was an AMD64 X2 4400+ with Debian Unstable installed. The random crashes and other bugs we reported a couple years ago seem to have been fixed for the most part. Older Wing Commander games can still be played on Mac and Lunix systems via DOSBox.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- BREAKING: Art Kickstarter a Success!
- 2017-03-28 -- There's great news tonight for fans of fine art: Mike Winterbauer's Kickstarter has met its funding goal! That's thanks in no small part to Wing Commander fans like you. There are still twenty days left to pledge, if you're interested in a copy of the book we encourage you to check it out!
- Computer Gaming World Previews Wing Commander
- 2017-03-27 -- We recently posted a collection of Computer Gaming World reviews of Wing Commander games and today we're following that with a collection of major PREVIEWS. These three stories, featuring Wing Commander III, IV and Prophecy, would have been arranged during each game's development by Origin Systems' PR team. These are especially interesting because they usually involve pre-release versions of the games, interviews directly with the developers and sometimes paint a different picture than the completed game!
- Designing the Confederation Fleet
- 2017-03-26 -- Need some more Wing Commander movie production artwork in your life? Here are four rarely seen 1998 concepts that were used to create the final Terran Confederation ship designs for the film! Pictured are the TCS Tiger Claw, the TCS Concordia, the Diligent and the emergency probe Admiral Wilson dispatches from Pegasus at the start of the movie.
- Privateer 2 Script Available!
- 2017-03-25 -- Looks like we aren't ready to leave the Tri-System just yet. Today we are proud to present something we've been trying to track down for twenty years: the shooting script to Privateer 2: The Darkening! This should be a great resource for anyone frustrated by the game's lack of subtitles...
- Mysterious Privateer 2 Videos Discovered
- 2017-03-24 -- Here's a little mystery: we've discovered a YouTube account called DigitalVaultThe which contains nothing but three Privateer 2 videos: a trailer and two cutscenes. Here's the kicker: all three videos are much higher quality than previously available Privateer 2 footage! The most likely explanation is that the videos were put up by someone connected to the game's development...
- Happy Holy Day of Acclivity!
- 2017-03-23 -- Would you like a reason to celebrate? March 23 is the Holy Day of the Acclivity, the most important day in the Pilgrim religion! We thought weâd celebrate with a little background on the origin of Pilgrim (or McDanielist) theology.
- Richard Garriott Wrote a Book
- 2017-03-22 -- Lord British has written a book! Origin founder Richard Garriott's Explore/Create: My Life in Pursuit of New Frontiers, Hidden Worlds, and the Creative Spark was released in January and tells, firsthand, his incredible life story. The book covers Garriott's entire life and many adventures (including, of course, his space travel) but does find time to talk about the early days of Origin and the development of Ultima Online.
- Variants on a Theme
- 2017-03-21 -- In honor of Mike Winterbauer's Kickstarter we thought we would take a look back through the history of 'that look.' What look? The classic Wing Commander cover art!
- Laser Gun for Hire
- 2017-03-20 -- Yesterday, we reported that Wing Commander SNES cover artist Mike Winterbauer has re-launched his Kickstarter project to create a printed art book of his work. The project is going great, already nearing the 50% funding mark in less than 24 hours... and today we can reveal that it turns out Mr.
- BREAKING NEWS: Game Cover Kickstarter Re-Launches
- 2017-03-19 -- How do you save the Ralari? You just keep trying! In exactly that spirit, SNES Wing Commander cover artist Mike Winterbauer has re-launched his Kickstarter project.
- 2017-03-18 -- Ever wonder what came before Wing Commander? Chris Roberts sold his first game at age 13, and had released seven games before Wing Commander in 1990! I recently took some time at my day job to run through some of the basiscs of that early history on our weekly livecast...
- False Alarm: Book 7 Pre-Orders
- 2017-03-17 -- The ebook release of Wing Commander: False Colors is less than three weeks away and the first pre-order options have just launched! Amazon and Apple are now listing the book, with Barnes and Noble and Kobo still in a holding pattern. We will update the chart below when the other options come online...
- Leading Different Boxes
- 2017-03-16 -- Hey, that's not how I remember it! Did you know that four Wing Commander games had significantly different box covers in Europe? While the original boxes were designed by Origin, Electronic Arts had regional marketing departments which would then adapt and change designs when they believed it would better suit a different audience.
- Happy First Contact Day!... Maybe
- 2017-03-15 -- It's March 15th and as everyone knows that means it is the pre-anniversary of the 2629 destruction of the TCS Iason, mankind's official first contact with the Kilrathi! Or was that March 16th? Or was it April 15th?
- The Fight for Books Continues
- 2017-03-14 -- We have some additional news to share about two projects: the Mike Winterbauer art book and the ebook releases of the Wing Commander series! (There is, perhaps, some irony in the fact that we are fighting for physical releases of an ebook AND ebook releases of a physical book!) Mr.
- Computer Gaming World Reviews Wing Commander
- 2017-03-13 -- Computer Gaming World was, in the United States, the 'journal of record' for PC gaming throughout the 1980s and 1990s. The magazine, which was shuttered in 2006, closely covered Wing Commander. Today, we've collected all 12 of the reviews, starting with the original game in 1990 and ending with Wing Commander Prophecy Gold in 1999.
- Mission 5 is Alive!
- 2017-03-12 -- It sounds (pun intended) like Wing Commander composed George Oldziey is making great progress on a second album. On Wednesday, he announced that he was starting to orchestrate another piece from Wing Commander IV:Just starting orchestrating another mission piece from #WingCommander 4! It's a mysterioso work!
- 2017-03-11 -- Pixelengineer has hit on a cool new trick sure to appeal to retrogamers and wingnuts alike: rendering 3D versions of the game boxes we so fondly remember! He has been posting 3D spinning boxes each day to his Twitter account representing classic games like Secrets of the Luftwaffe, TIE Fighter... and, of course, Wing Commander!
- Game Cover Art Book Fails to Fund
- 2017-03-10 -- Some bad news to report today: Michael Winterbauer's Kickstarter failed to fund, meaning that a printed copy. The project ended just over $2k short, meaning that there's clearly a lot of interest in the project. Mr.
- Compute! Reviews Wing Commander
- 2017-03-09 -- As promised on Monday, here are scans of Compute! magazine's three reviews of Wing Commander games. The original Wing Commander was reviewed in the February 1991 issue.