Thou Shouldst Not Dorkir That, Avatar
Gaijin sent us a neat screenshot. This Origin in-joke appeared in Super Wing Commander -- if you sat and watched the Tiger's Claw's lounge long enough, a surprising figure would pass by the window. Who is it? The Avatar from Origin's Ultima series of games -- he appears in Super Wing Commander just as he did at the start of Ultima VII Part 2, flying through space to Serpent Isle. I guess that makes up for the Bloodfang-class fighter which appeared in Ultima VII (details)!
New WINE Plays Prophecy Smoothly
It may have taken six years, but Wing Commander fans running Linux seem to have a pretty robust platform to play their favorite windows-based games now. Mike Wagener reports that WINE version 0.9.13 and later can now play Wing Commander Prophecy without any special patches, tweaks or complex configuration. The results for him are smooth with no movie skipping or glitches during spaceflight. Mike's test system was an AMD64 X2 4400+ with Debian Unstable installed. The random crashes and other bugs we reported a couple years ago seem to have been fixed for the most part. Older Wing Commander games can still be played on Mac and Lunix systems via DOSBox.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Rapier + Ninja = Boulder Blaster
- 2015-04-18 -- Wojo is well known as an aficionado of the WC Movie's Rapier I fighter. Recently he was shocked to see one Lego's latest toys, the Ninjago Boulder Blaster. It's a cylindrical fighter with a big rotary cannon for a nose.
- New Preview Features Wing Commander Star
- 2015-04-17 -- Many of you have already seen it, but a hot new video is exploding across the internet. Wing Commander's Malcolm McDowell has been made the new spokesman for Lunchables Uploaded, but he's not a great fit. His hilarious new commercial is below.
- WC Skin Pack Jazzes Up Modern Jets
- 2015-04-16 -- Cannon Song has put together a nifty skin pack for Vector Thrust, a new flight sim based around today's fighter jet designs. Rather than import Wing Commander models though, he's reimagined the paint schemes of six craft based on their WC equivalents. Looks closely and you'll see this was accomplished very creatively!
- Wing Commander Joining Origin Humble Bundle Soon
- 2015-04-15 -- Electronic Arts is participating in a new Humble Bundle sale for charity. For those unfamiliar with this event, players can name their price for a set of games that would otherwise retail for $134. They can then determine how to split the proceeds among three designated organizations.
- A Simple, Yet Beautiful, Dralthi
- 2015-04-14 -- NinjaLA's latest sketch is a really well drawn Dralthi medium fighter. The dynamic engine and laser cannon effects are a good complement to the space frame colored in with pencil-style filler. And everything contrasts well with that twilight blue background, including the darker bit where the Dralthi almost casts a shadow on the night sky.
- Three's a Crowd, Twenty-Eight's a WC RPG
- 2015-04-13 -- Elegy of Sivar continues to make progress on a couple different fronts. capi spent the beginning of April working on the reputation system for the complex RPG, which is a big deal for a module that will have 28 different factions in it. He's spent quite a bit of time recently firming up the descriptions for these groups and filling out their backstories to make them varied and interesting.
- Sivar's Hand Story Coming Together
- 2015-04-12 -- Aginor is nearly complete writing the fiction for his Sivar's Hand mod. The plot portions will be merged with a campaign that has about ten varied missions. More is possible later, but the plan is to keep the size manageable so that it has a better shot at being completed.
- CIG's April 1st Update Angling for Wing Commander Ships
- 2015-04-11 -- In addition to their 2654 Around the Verse episode, Roberts Space Industries also put together several silly ship options for April Fools day last week. The new 'Pisces' ship featured an unprecedented 10 variants including the Pisces Rapier II and Pisces Dralthi which look quite familiar! The Kilrathi ship comes from Howard Day and the Confed fighter is one of Klavs'.
- WC Saga Plus Adds to Extensive Changelog
- 2015-04-10 -- The WC Saga Plus upgrade continues to make great strides. The list of improvements is much too long to quote, but overall improvements have just been made to the menu interface, moddability and crash prevention. Luke is also additional enhancements in work now to upgrade the heads up display, pilot profiles and mouse control.
- New Digital Paintings Illustrate Planetside Ops
- 2015-04-09 -- Klavs spotted a couple very slick digital tablet paintings from HandofManos. The first is a CF-105 Scimitar sitting on the tarmac. It's followed by a Rapier II taking off from a planet.