Thou Shouldst Not Dorkir That, Avatar
Gaijin sent us a neat screenshot. This Origin in-joke appeared in Super Wing Commander -- if you sat and watched the Tiger's Claw's lounge long enough, a surprising figure would pass by the window. Who is it? The Avatar from Origin's Ultima series of games -- he appears in Super Wing Commander just as he did at the start of Ultima VII Part 2, flying through space to Serpent Isle. I guess that makes up for the Bloodfang-class fighter which appeared in Ultima VII (details)!
New WINE Plays Prophecy Smoothly
It may have taken six years, but Wing Commander fans running Linux seem to have a pretty robust platform to play their favorite windows-based games now. Mike Wagener reports that WINE version 0.9.13 and later can now play Wing Commander Prophecy without any special patches, tweaks or complex configuration. The results for him are smooth with no movie skipping or glitches during spaceflight. Mike's test system was an AMD64 X2 4400+ with Debian Unstable installed. The random crashes and other bugs we reported a couple years ago seem to have been fixed for the most part. Older Wing Commander games can still be played on Mac and Lunix systems via DOSBox.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- WC1 Programming Library Widens Supported Assets
- 2015-07-31 -- Since we last checked in, UnnamedCharacter has made a large number of expansions and improvements to his Wing Commander library project. The software toolkit (implemented in .NET v4) provides a programming interface for working with Wing Commander 1 data files.
- PC Gamer Reflects On FMV Games
- 2015-07-30 -- PC Gamer has posted a new article on the state of FMV both yesterday and today. They point out the genre's rocky history, but Wing Commander is called out as a major exception that stands the test of time despite some technical limitations. Although live action cutscenes are largely seen today as a relic of a bygone era, the author highlights how they continues to pop up in new places.
- New Flat Universe Previews Tease Next Installment
- 2015-07-29 -- The Maslas Brothers have released a whole bunch of tantalizing new screenshots for the next iteration of Wing Commander Flat Universe. All images are either gameplay screenshots or otherwise rendered in the engine. These new pics show off the custom cockpits that frame the action: the angular green Hornet, squared off red Scimitar, silver curved Raptor displays and more are all there.
- Wing Commander Arrives On US Netflix!
- 2015-07-28 -- Streaming Wing Commander's spread across the globe continues! After appearing in countries such as Canada, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and the UK earlier this year, the WC Movie will finally begin showing on the US Netflix roster starting August 1. Sure, we all got the Blu-ray edition a couple years back, but it's exciting to think about the huge new audience the film will soon be in front of.
- Bearcat Gets Unreal Makeover
- 2015-07-27 -- ScoobyDoo has made big progress importing his new Bearcat fighter into the Unreal 4 engine. In this new environment, he's been able explore adding tons of detail to the cockpit, hull surface and landing gear. Although he's known for adding lots of stuff like this to his ships in the past, he's being careful to walk a fine line and avoid making his ships deviate too wildly from the baseline Wing Commander examples.
- Frontier Bombers Get Modern Makeover
- 2015-07-26 -- The Border Worlds faction is getting some nice upgrades to their torpedo-carrying fighters in the WC4 Homeworld mod. L.I.
- Three Weeks To Party Time!
- 2015-07-26 -- In case you missed our recent announcement, the date and time for the CIC's 17th Birthday Party has been set! You're invited to join us on Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 7:00 pm EDT (4:00 pm PDT and 11:00 pm GMT) in the #Wingnut chat room. It'll be fun night full of old war stories, cake, trivia games and prizes.
- Sins of a Solar Empire Mod Starts Kilrathi Capship Conversion
- 2015-07-25 -- M3RcAden has built quite a few Confed ships for his Sins of a Solar Empire mod, so he's branching out more now to the Kilrathi side. First up is the Kamrani corvette. Check out those beefy turrets!
- Wing Commander, EA Titles Heavily Discounted At GOG
- 2015-07-24 -- Over the next three days, GOG is discounting their entire EA catalog by 60%. Besides Wing Commander, Ultima and Crusader, their offer includes beloved classics such as Theme Hospital, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Kyrandia and Populous. While you can buy an entire series outright for the sake of convenience, you can also handpick a few individual titles, many for as little as $2.
- Wing Commander 4 Intro Remixed With Live Orchestra Track
- 2015-07-23 -- Former Origin composer George Oldziey has posted another fantastic sample from his live recording of Wing Commander music in Bratislava last year. This time he's enhanced the introduction to Wing Commander 4 with his new audio. The results are amazing!