Thou Shouldst Not Dorkir That, Avatar
Gaijin sent us a neat screenshot. This Origin in-joke appeared in Super Wing Commander -- if you sat and watched the Tiger's Claw's lounge long enough, a surprising figure would pass by the window. Who is it? The Avatar from Origin's Ultima series of games -- he appears in Super Wing Commander just as he did at the start of Ultima VII Part 2, flying through space to Serpent Isle. I guess that makes up for the Bloodfang-class fighter which appeared in Ultima VII (details)!
New WINE Plays Prophecy Smoothly
It may have taken six years, but Wing Commander fans running Linux seem to have a pretty robust platform to play their favorite windows-based games now. Mike Wagener reports that WINE version 0.9.13 and later can now play Wing Commander Prophecy without any special patches, tweaks or complex configuration. The results for him are smooth with no movie skipping or glitches during spaceflight. Mike's test system was an AMD64 X2 4400+ with Debian Unstable installed. The random crashes and other bugs we reported a couple years ago seem to have been fixed for the most part. Older Wing Commander games can still be played on Mac and Lunix systems via DOSBox.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans.
- Recent Flat Universe Update Profiled In Detail
- 2015-09-02 -- Now that the dust has settled from last month's CIC's birthday, the Maslas Brothers have caught a breath and returned to explain all of the upgrades in version 0.8.5 in more depth.
- Wing Commander Viewing Party Now Available Online
- 2015-09-01 -- If you missed LOAF's Livestream of the Wing Commander Movie last month, you can now find a full recording at the INN Youtube page. It's full of fun, trivia and insightful commentary! Note that they had to restart the film a ways in, so it doesn't officially get started until 23:30.
- Homemade Vampire Kicks Off New Paper Arms Race
- 2015-08-31 -- Adm_Maverick stopped in to share these pictures that document the build of his papercraft Vampire fighter. This is one of the many ships originally developed by PÃ©ricles for Paper Commander. All of them are amazing creations!
- The Raptor Pilots Are Brave, The Hornet Pilot Is Crazy
- 2015-08-30 -- Klavs' latest wallpaper image is an exciting strike on a Fralthi. While a pair of heavily armed Raptors swoop in on an attack run, a single Hornet dances across the cruiser's hull with laser beams blazing. I also really like all the blue highlights and background dust as well as the sense of motion here.
- Spirit Sketch Captures '90s Charm
- 2015-08-29 -- Denis Loubet's new sketch of Mariko Tanaka is now complete! It's an ink drawing that emulates the style of the printed art that accompanied the original game. It's very neat to see the one of the original artists take on the character after nearly twenty-five years.
- Maniac Picks His Desert Island Movies
- 2015-08-28 -- The Skinny recently conducted an interview with Matthew Lillard. The focus was his directorial work at the Edinburg Festival Fringe, but topics were all over the place. When questioned which movies he might take with him to survive an apocalypse, this is what he had to say.
- Unboxing Goes Retro With WC1 Review
- 2015-08-27 -- Unboxing videos are everywhere these days, and it's a shame that this trend arrived after the decline of physical video game packages. Most games are downloaded digitally now, and there just aren't all that many awesome collector's editions anymore. Sometimes Youtubers just need to look back into the past for cool games to open up.
- Super Ships Join Homeworld Fray
- 2015-08-26 -- L.I.F.
- It Takes Two To Tango
- 2015-08-25 -- DefianceIndustries continues to bulk up the Border Worlds fleet, and this time he's upsized his efforts with a preliminary model of the Durango class heavy destroyer/light carrier. It's already looking super sharp and appears to be ready for texturing work. If his fighter models are any comparison, the final paint scheme should be a sight to behold!
- New Kilrathi Escort Added To The Armada
- 2015-08-24 -- Klavs has produced a massive fleet of iconic Kilrathi warships, and that's left him with a variety of major subcomponents on the cutting room floor. He's cobbled together these parts to assemble a pretty compelling new kat design. The consensus seems to be that this could be some sort of destroyer or light cruiser.
- Party Logs Now Online
- 2015-08-23 -- If you couldn't make it to the big party last weekend, now's your chance to relive the event virtually. Our Seventeenth Birthday logs are available online here. Hop down to 16:00 to see when the party officially got started.
- Clive Owen Joins Luc Bessonâs Valerian
- 2015-08-22 -- English actor Clive Owen is going back into space. Reports say he's been cast in the lead role of Valerian in the live-action adaptation of a long-running French comic series. The actor joins director Luc Besson (The Fifth Element, LÃ©on) and co-stars Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne in the big budget sci-fi epic.
- Frontline Nephilim Invaders Recreated
- 2015-08-21 -- Dark Sentinel has returned with complete versions of his Nephilim Manta and Devil Ray fighters. Both have been fully textured, and there's a third bonus fighter: the reddish brown Manta bomber. Nephilim skins can be very hard to pull off, but these execute a colorful organic vibe without just being splotchy psychadelics.
- First Glimpse Of The 'Starship Tactics' Fralthi
- 2015-08-20 -- Arraen has had a busy summer adding lots of Confed ships to his strategy mod. Now it's time to start bulking up the Kilrathi fleet, and fans have been clamoring for a Fralthi to give the kat forces some muscle. The shot below is the first teaser of the new enemy light cruiser in the game.
- WC Movie Briefly Disappears From/Reappears On iTunes
- 2015-08-19 -- In all of the excitement late last month with Wing Commander joining Netflix, we noticed that the movie simultaneously disappeared off iTunes. Our theory was that it was related to Chris Roberts regaining the distribution rights and set off to investigate. But, before we could get too far, the film popped back up!
- Digital Wing Commander Tracks Almost Complete
- 2015-08-18 -- George Oldziey has provided a status update for the digital reorchestrations he's working on to round out his Wing Commander album. The supplemental 15 minutes of music is now a bit more than three quarters complete. Once this is wrapped up, the physical compilation discs can proceed.
- Excaliburz Wit Attitudes
- 2015-08-17 -- We were going to post this one on Saturday, but it got missed in the crazy party shuffle! Richard H ran this one through the Straight Outta Compton meme generator, and it was a hit on social media. It's definitely the best one I've seen!
- Time to Claim Party Prizes
- 2015-08-17 -- It's time for the lucky and talented winners from Saturday night's party to claim their prizes. If you're one of the folks listed below, please submit your IRC name, real name and address now. If you had an unclaimed item from a prior year's party, now's the time to get in touch with us.
- Happy 17th Birthday, CIC!
- 2015-08-16 -- Welcome Wingnuts to the celebration of the CIC's 17th Birthday! The years keep racing by faster and faster, and the site is now older than many staff members and visitors were in 1998 when we first set up shop at wcnews.com!
- Massively Revamped Flat Universe Released!
- 2015-08-16 -- The Maslas Brothers' impressive top-down Wing Commander shooter, Flat Universe, has been upgraded to version 0.8.5.