Cyberion Shares Drayman With All
Cyberion has been working hard to prepare a 3D Drayman Transport for people to play with and include in various mods. He has created high detail and low polygon models to fit with different people's needs. Both are available in a pack here.
Well, after some time I finally finished the high detailed model of Drayman. I added few additional parts to the model and textured it a little bit. I'm not very good at texturing as I can't draw, but if anyone is willing to texture it or create textures for it, contact me. I would be glad to know this and I will fully support this. ;)
The Drayman looks great. Go ahead and give a thanks to Cyberion if you use his model too.
What I'll be doing next I do not know... but it defenetly will be something from WC ships. So far I've done "Hellcat V" model and this "Drayman" model -> I have a huge list to do. Good luck in modeling and long live the WC series!!!
Sangy, Expendable & Slawter Want RPG Discussion
Several Crius members have started a discussion about the separate Wing Commander role playing games that have sprouted up this year. RPGs can be hard to implement and maintain, and Sangy, Expendable, and Slawter are trying to lend some of their experience to helping the RPG community. They have their own idea for a new project and are trying to gauge interest. There are already other RPGs that need members, so this discussion might serve to bolster other projects' efforts instead. If this is a subject you're interested in, head on over to their thread here.
With our experiances at WCGC we have accumulated a list of all the things we would like to see done and how they should be done correctly in a Wing Commander board based RP. Now we are interested in developing this project into a working Role-Play system so that you, the Wing Commander fan can take his turn to become Admiral Tolwyn, defeating the Kilrathi above Earth, Jason Bondarevsky, sneaking behind Enemy Lines, and William Bainbridge, Defeating the bulk of the Kilrathi fleet at Vukar Tag.
EA Continues To Assimilate And Expand
Hot on the heels of their latest quarterly profit announcement, Electronic Arts has announced two strategic partnerings this week. First up, EA is fully acquiring Criterion Software, which is currently finishing up Burnout 3 and developing the latest version of Renderware. The Renderware tools are used by a variety of companies to create games, and EA will now be in charge of licensing this technology to other companies. Over 500 games have used Criterion's tools to some extent in the past.
EA is also entering a publishing deal with Crytek, creator of the popular Far Cry game. Together they will create an all new PC game in the near future.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans. Recent updates:
- Video Tutorial Shows Birth Of A WC Fan Project
- 2018-01-17 -- Longtime Wing Commander fan centaurianmudpig has posted something a little different. Lots of talented Wingnuts upload videos of the works in progress, but CMP recently livestreamed the entire creative process. He goes through bit-by-bit looking up tutorials, sampling graphics and writing Unity code.
- Homeworld Mod Testing Fighter Visibility Updates
- 2018-01-16 -- L.I.F.
- Vega Super Star Back In Action
- 2018-01-15 -- DefianceIndustries is back from a well deserved holiday break with a slick new wallpaper image. It features a cool new Rapier model first teased last October. This is the variant featured in Super Wing Commander and Arena, so it's a bit more flat and round than DOS or GOG players might be familiar with.
- Rapier Research Leads To New Sighting
- 2018-01-14 -- Lilja saw our post a while back about one of the Lightning fighters that became a Wing Commander Movie Rapier at Pinewood Studios and decided to do some digging of his own. Finding where they've all ended up over the years has been an interesting endeavor, and through some clever investigation, he managed to track down some new information on the afterlife of these exotics birds. Immediately after the film's debut in 1999, fans spotted one Rapier at a Planet Hollywood in Ohio, and then a couple showed up for auction/rental/sale in the early 2000s.
- Lego Darket Built Out Of Digital Bricks
- 2018-01-13 -- Lego Digital Designers Club has posted a neat virtual Darket made with Lego brand activity bricks. The color could probably go a bit more brown, but otherwise it's a pretty good design. All of the crazy Star Wars Legos out there sure make me wish we got these for real!
- Annual Awards Voting In Full Swing
- 2018-01-12 -- Our annual community voting is now in progress, and Wingnuts like you are helping choose the Wing Commander Fan Project of the Year for 2017! Here are the nominees one more time. It's hard to choose because there's so many great projects going on, but vote below and help pick the winner!
- Star Wars Excitement Spills Over Into Wing Commander
- 2018-01-11 -- Mark Hamill's return to the Star Wars series and starring role in The Last Jedi has also sparked a wave of interest in his work between epic film projects. The gaming press has largely already done this thanks to Mr. Hamill's role in Star Citizen, but now it's spreading to a more mainstream audience.
- Catch Up On Everything Wing Commander Amiga
- 2018-01-10 -- Shot97 has put together an absolutely massive review of Wing Commander for Amiga systems. He covers every inch from top to bottom. Shot goes over what the game meant to him and then proceeds to cover the backstory, the impact of the characters, the depth of the manual, the significance of the Kilrathi, and that's just getting started.
- Casper Van Dien On Wing Commander 4, Starship Troopers & Much More
- 2018-01-09 -- GeekScape has posted a podcast episode with Starship Troopers star Casper Van Dien. The actor is well known for his sci-fi acting, but he's also a director with a diverse variety of projects under his belt. He also had a brief cameo in Wing Commander 4, which is mentioned in the show.
- Privateer Model Exploration Continues
- 2018-01-08 -- A lot of people have done some pretty nifty things with the Privateer 3D model archive over the years, but it can still be a slightly daunting task to dig into if you're an artistic novice. This is where fans come into play, and Wingnuts have continued to help their fellow Wingnuts learn how to navigate these waters. bai recently got some assistance unpacking some of the texture files and finding out how to convert and read them.
- WC1&2 Audio Sound Comparison Presented In Easy Playlist Form
- 2018-01-07 -- pcuser1541 has put together a number of videos that showcase the wide variety of audio setups supported by the original Wing Commander games. SoundBlaster was the most common card of the day, but the Roland MT-32 was highly sought after early on and new variants continued to be released through numerous ports over nearly half a dozen years. There are examples from the Microsoft GS, FM Towns, Amiga, Macintosh, Super Nintendo and Sega CD.
- GPD Win Is Latest Handheld To Showcase Wing Commander Emulation
- 2018-01-06 -- Alien Gray has posted a nifty video of the GPD Win playing the 3DO version of Super Wing Commander. This device actually runs Windows 10, but it's using the Project Phoenix emulator to get the game running. This is just the latest in a fascinating string of modern handheld devices that have managed to get various WC games running.
- IMDB Takes Video Games To The Movies
- 2018-01-05 -- The Internet Movie Database has posted a photo gallery collage to highlight the history of video games crossing over to movies. There are 96 examples highlighted (a significant fraction of which are Resident Evil films), which is surprising in itself. Even more so, Wing Commander is chronologically listed in the first fifteen movies, so the genre has really exploded in recent years.
- Childhood Adventures Explored On YouTube
- 2018-01-04 -- Claude Blair has put together an interesting video that reviews a large pile of Wing Commander documentation. After some initial introduction, he spends more than a half hour lovingly detailing the material on every page of Claw Marks. Obviously most of you are quite familiar with what's in the WC1 manual, but it's always fun to hear the perspective of someone who's so excited about it.
- Happy New Year From George Oldziey
- 2018-01-03 -- George Oldziey is back with a New Year's message and Wing Commander album status update. He's anxiously preparing for the Wing Commander bar music recording happening next month as well as planning out the next steps for the orchestral portions of the album. He's also dug up a vintage interview that was published in the January 1999 edition of Film Score Monthly.
- Kick Off 2018 With Some Slick Sketches
- 2018-01-02 -- Arne from Android Arts is currently putting together some awesome Wing Commander sketches. He started with an Exeter and has drawn a contemporary flotilla around it. There's also a gun mockup and fighter concept art, plus a really cute 'Dralthi Commander' diskette.
- Happy New Year!
- 2018-01-01 -- The confetti is starting to settle, and those of us who had time off for the holidays are getting ready to go back to work now. We're all inspired by the last two days' worth of 2017 recaps. When it's all summed up like that, it's really astounding, and these are just the condensed highlights.
- A Look Back At 2017
- 2017-12-31 -- The year 2017 is on the way out as I write this, so it's time to review what a wonderful year it's been. We got a taste of the action in yesterday's Fan Project of the Year roundup. There were lots projects that released some great things for the community over the past twelve months, including many playable adventures and multiplayer games.
- Annual Community Vote Begins!
- 2017-12-30 -- It's almost 2018, so that means it's time for our annual contest tradition! One tweak this year is that we're combining the Fan Project and Web Site of the Year categories into one. While there were some great Wing Commander updates on the web, we didn't get enough nominations to make that standalone grouping competitive.
- TomVlog34 Travels East To West & Beyond
- 2017-12-29 -- Tom Wilson has posted a couple new chapters in his ongoing YouTube vlog series. The first clip starts out with some insight into his daily life. He briefly conducts an interview for a documentary on his time acting in Freaks & Geeks, and he touches on a subject that would be familiar to fans of his Wing Commander work: while he loved his time working on the series, he's nowhere as well versed in the subject material as the actual fans.