Just The Facts
Have you been wondering about the exact stats of the new Dust Cannon? How about the Excalibur? Needed to know exactly how many Red Manta were attacking the Transport? Your wait is over. Hades and Hadrian have been working night and day to bring you the CIC's Secret Ops Guide. Check it out here. The missions are current up through Episode Four, but we are in the process of adding new things still.
He who brought life to the universe (Captain Johnny) sent me over a scan of an article on Secret Ops from an Austin newspaper. Check it out here. Below is Origin's Secret Ops team...
Mind More Missions?
Wing Commander fanatic Dude sent me a series of missions for Wing Commander Prophecy he's created! In a moment of uniqueness, he's also made briefings! Get the missions here and the shockwave briefing here.
A shocked Death sent me a copy of PC Gamer's new "Top 50 Games of All Time" list... anyone care to guess where Wing Commander was? Amazingly enough, it'll take over 50 guesses, since not even one WC made the list. Admittably not everyone in the universe shares the same passion for Wing Commander as some of us do, but to say that it's not one of the top 50 games ever? Impossible... go find somebody to complain to.
|1. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2|
2. Civ 2
3. Quake II
4. TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM
6. System Shock
7. Heroes of Might and Magic II
8. X-COM: UFO Defense
9. Warcraft II
10. Sam & Max Hit the Road
11. Links LS '98
12. Longbow 2
14. Command & Conquer: Red Alert
15. Panzer General II
17. NHL 98
18. Ultima Underworld I,II
20. Red Baron
22. Alone in the Dark
23. Chuck Yeager's Air Combat
24. Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity
25. Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
|26. Interstate '76|
27. Gabriel Knight: The Best Within
29. Duke Nukem 3D
30. Worms 2
31. EF 2000 2.0
32. Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
33. The Curse of Monkey Island
35. SimCity 2000
37. Ultima VII
39. Triple Play 97
40. Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
41. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
43. Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far
44. Betrayal at Krondor
45. Master of Orion
46. FPS: Football Pro
47. Tomb Raider
48. You Don't Know Jack Huge
49. Pro Pinball: Timeshock
50. The Operational Art of War
Ace reporter and radio personality Hadrian has put up the latest Infoburst! Head on over and check out a cool interview with Wing Commander composer George Oldziey.
Secret Ops on TV
John Gilbert reports that this weeks episode of TV.com has a segment about Secret Ops, including an interview with one of its designers! TV.com has an article about SO on the web here.
Icon, I Really Con
Responding to complaints that the SO icon could be better, Vesa Juusola designed a cool new one for everybody... check it out below, and grab it here.
15,000's a Charm
Much like the casualty numbers from the Kilrathi war, the number of times Chris Reid has posted to alt.games.wing-commander is beyond my comprehension. Anyway, a hearty congratulations on reaching the 15,000 mark to our man Crid... keep it up or we're all in trouble.
Interested on getting your hands on some Gold? Of course, we're all anxiously awaiting its estimated October 14 release date... if you're desprate, however, you can preorder it from Electronic Arts! Head on over to the newly re-URL'd EA Store.
One Point Five Three Mentality
Man among men Thomas Bruckner has released the final version of his much lauded WCPEdit! Grab WPEdit 1.53 here, and be sure to install the patch, available here.
Wing Commander CIC - Visit the front page
Official news, fan projects and topics of particular interest to Wing Commander fans. Recent updates:
- Taste That Synthi Meat
- 2017-11-16 -- The Wing Commander series has had quite a few large and elaborate print advertisements over the years, but even by the franchise's often lofty standards, this one's a whopper. This ad is spread across six full pages and follows a "five senses" theme with a late '90s vibe. Sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch are all emphasized along with a smattering of FMV screenshots, gameplay scenes and a handful of commodities.
- A Localization Interrogation
- 2017-11-15 -- Most Wingnuts are familiar with all of the cool contents of a basic Wing Commander Prophecy box... but this one's a little different. Can you spot everything that makes this setup unique?
- Upgraded Corvette Ready For Vision Engine
- 2017-11-14 -- Version 0.32B of the Secret Ops Model Upgrade Pack was just released, but work continues at a rapid pace. The Kilrathi are the next focus, and they're led by the fearsome Corvette.
- Catch Up On Strike Commander's History
- 2017-11-13 -- The DOS Game Club is a really cool place dedicated to gaming highlights of the '80s and '90s. Their community selects a game each month, and then they jointly play it together and discuss in their regular podcast. A recently selection was Origin's Strike Commander, and our own Bandit (LOAF) was able to participate in their episode on it.
- Wing Commander Composer David Arnold Interviewed
- 2017-11-12 -- Modern Vinyl has posted an interesting interview with David Arnold, the composer behind the Wing Commander Movie's famous Overture theme. Much of the article focuses on the recent vinyl release of his work on Hot Fuzz, but it also notes his wide ranging involvement with films from James Bond to Stargate. Check out the full article here.
- Homeworld Mod Removes Bugs & Fixes AI
- 2017-11-11 -- There's another new update to the Homeworld Remastered mod, Flag Commander. L.I.
- OldiesGames Does Vengeance Of The Kilrathi
- 2017-11-10 -- We've been following the OldiesGamesTV series of Wing Commander reviews for a number of years, and now they've completed their three-part profile of Wing Commander 2. The videos are in French, but even if you can't speak the language, seeing all of the minor differences in the game are really cool if you originally played in another language. And where you understand their words or not, it's clear that they're big Wing Commander fans that we're happy to support!
- Wing Commander Album Track List Complete!
- 2017-11-09 -- George Oldziey is back with another update on the progress of the second Wing Commander album. He's been quiet for a little bit, but there has been tons of progress on the orchestration front. The basic track list is complete and PDF scores will even be sent out soon.
- Secret Ops Is All About Squashing Bugs!
- 2017-11-08 -- Fans have been running the new Secret Ops Model Upgrade Pack through its paces hard since the latest version was released last week. As intended, the test managed to tease out a few bugs, and the team quickly responded. DefianceIndustries and PopsiclePete have already managed to put out a new version that resolves the issues identified so far.
- Three Cheers For WC2 Manuals
- 2017-11-07 -- Wing Commander games can come in all shapes and sizes, and today we have a look at the different colored manuals of Wing Commander 2. WC2 was one of the most ubiquitous titles of the early '90s thanks to several factors: the popularity of WC1 was key, but it also was a major showcase for in-game speech and eventually mass-produced for inclusion in a large number of different OEM and budget CD-ROM releases. The red manual below was quite common and the black lesser so.
- Shapely New Wing Commander 3D Prints Available
- 2017-11-06 -- Carter3D is a cool Shapeways outfit with a whole bunch of neat ships. There are quite a few Star Wars designs, but there are also about a dozen detailed Wing Commander models available to 3D print. Carter seems to be a Prophecy fan, but there are also a handful of ships from WC3&4 mixed in as well.
- Wing Commander 3 Play-Through Remade At Nightmare Difficulty!
- 2017-11-05 -- It's been more than ten years since the legendary Queeg released his consolidated Wing Commander 3 movie. The original film set download records at the CIC and garnered hundreds of thousands of views on YouTube. Now he's back with a brand new take on The Heart of the Tiger - this time he's completed the entire game on Nightmare difficulty!
- GalCiv 3 Mod Continues To Expand
- 2017-11-04 -- Hellakazoo has posted some additional screenshots of his Galactic Civilizations 3 WC mod that highlight some of his latest additions, such as the Tarsus and Clarkson jammer. There's also a neat screenshot of one of the game's menus that feature the character portraits. Some of the recent CIC Forums discussion has been about what to add next.
- Wing Commander Scores Lucky #7
- 2017-11-03 -- Here's a throwback to a twenty-one year old issue of Computer Gaming World. Back in November 1996, when we all were just getting into the Wingnut scene online, CGW posted a comprehensive "best 150" games feature. Wing Commander came in as the 7th best title of all time, just behind other famous contemporaries like Sid Meier's Civilization, Ultima IV, Doom & Sim City.
- New Prophecy, Secret Ops Update Adds Ships & More!
- 2017-11-02 -- The newest version of the Prophecy and Secret Ops Model Upgrade Pack has been released! It includes a whole pile of exciting ships that have been gracing the news over the last few months. There are additional bug fixes as well as some new features to smooth in-game graphical loading.
- Kilrathi Invade #GamingHaikus
- 2017-11-01 -- We may have missed International Haiku Poetry Day by quite a bit, but idspispopz is there to make sure we're still covered with this simple yet elegant Wing Commander poem. Feel free to hit the comment link and add your own!
- Arena Concept Art Inspires New Models
- 2017-10-31 -- After recently refining his slick Excalibur model, DefianceIndustries took a crack at turning it into the futuristic variant proposed in the Wing Commander Arena concept art. Its main vertical stabilizers have been moved inwards over the engine housings, and extended downswept winglets have also been added. The redesign really makes you think what new missions it might be called upon that would warrant these tweaks.
- Waterloo Once Again
- 2017-10-30 -- Here's a new look at Klavs' groovy Waterloo class cruiser. Some of the most obvious detail is the addition of new windows and lighting, but there are also hull improvements throughout that give the ship a much more realistic facade. Additional gun emplacements are also present throughout that both fill in some of the blank spaces and give the ship some teeth.
- GalCiv 3 Mod Adds Tons Of WC Ships
- 2017-10-29 -- Hellakazoo has been working on a neat ship expansion to Galactic Civilizations 3. He's already added dozens of fighters and larger capships, and he's nowhere near stopping. WC1/2 are where he began, but work is moving into the later games with plans to even include designs from Privateer, Armada and the Movie.
- Super Wing Commander Cameo In '90s Computer Documentary
- 2017-10-28 -- "Synthetic Pleasures" is a stylish documentary from 1995 on the nature of VR, robotics, AI and the future. It also has an inexplicable cameo from the Super Wing Commander suit-up and launch sequence. They clearly just liked the visual look, and the game isn't really related in context at all.