Marines Weapons

I hear helicopters are pretty hard to fly. but lets take this discussion to a chatroom instead of cluttering the bord. do you got ms instant messanger?

ICQ is a chat proggie, but it packs more than just chat, its like a net pager, and those whom you give your number to will know when you go online, and "oh-oh" the heck out of you! (the thing sings "oh-oh" when you get a message)I used to have it way back when ICQ first came online, dont use it much anymore tho. But, its a good proggie.

RFB

Originally posted by $tormin
I hear helicopters are pretty hard to fly. but lets take this discussion to a chatroom instead of cluttering the bord. do you got ms instant messanger?

They are, takes alot of practice and patience. Welp, off to put more hours in the lear45, doing ILS practice tonight and VOR tracking practice.

RFB

a friend of mine in the flying club crashed 7 helicopters because he never got training and kept trying to show off too soon :/

And the flying school let him keep doing it? I mean, one crash would be bad luck, two might be coincidence, but I'd start having a few suspicions after the third or fourth crash.

Best, Raptor

they were his own helicopters. the club dosn't supply anything but the trainers. and he was a seinior member so they cant kick him out. now he plays with RC battleships with firing .22 guns.

.22's on an RC boat! Now thats an RC model! Ive had that suggestion put forth to me with Project Centurion. For information purposes, the Project Centurion *WILL NOT* have guns that fire real ammo or do damage! I dont want to take on the world with it, just fly around and awe at the sight of a Centurion flying around confusing motorists on the highway! :D (Oh look Marge, a UFO!)

RFB

one of the guys has a UFO too :D its one of thos mail order helium baloons with the electric engines.
and the guns on the ship are for show. it looks very cool seeing them fire :D but he seldom uses anything but blanks.

Originally posted by RFBurns
[...] and "oh-oh" the heck out of you! (the thing sings "oh-oh" when you get a message) [...]
It oh-ohs the heck out of you indeed... ever since my uni's stopped blocking ICQ, I've been hearing oh-ohs all over the place... they go through walls... :eek:

Is that a compulsory sound? Crikey, dunno if I still want to try it...

People use ICQ at uni, but we don't get the oh-oh problem 'cause the comps don't have sound cards.

Mind you, the oh-oh does sound kinda cute the first time you hear it - after all, it reminds you of Lemmings ;). But the fifth, the twentieth...

I'd like to come back to one of the original questions, what the use is of using energy weapons oposed to projectile weapons against fighters/capships in space.
This depends on what shields are. We know shields are not just energy absorbing devices, because they also set of missiles, and ship colissions causes the shields to light up. This means the shields also repel matter.
The most likely form of matter repelling energy field is a highly localised and focused gravity distortion. You'd be warping the space around you so that the resulting gravity force won't let matter in.
If this is the case, in order for such shields to be effective, they have to be so powerful, that before anything has a chance to go through it has to have tremendous kinetic energy. Firing a projectile, giving it so much kinetic energy, would also seriously disrupt the course and speed of your own ship.
Besides, the projectile would be more likely to push the ship and shield away, since there is nothing holding it in place, than actually penetrating the shields.
This means that you have to use either energy weapons or exploding projectiles, like missiles, so you can drain/overload the shield generators.
There is something going against this theory though. With such a shield, it would be near impossible to die because of collision. Surely you could say colliding shields neutralise each other, but asteroids don't have shields.

Hopefully that gravity distortion is focused so it doesnt *suck* itself upon the craft its protecting! Hence gravity well! A deep sucker too!

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
Originally posted by Zor Prime
Guns on an RC huh? Sounds like fun!

They can be fun until something bad happens.

RFB

somthing bad? like putting holes in targets? these guys are not idiots, they are professionals (except mr. helicopter :D) the only thing that gets shot are blanks and the occasional target (usually a drifting 2x4 with a cardbord bullseye. someday he hopes to make it so he dosn't have to bring the boat back to reload it :)

Back