Marines Weapons

Hey if you want a list as such TAFAK the one who has the "oldest" fan project. May have some info. Otherwise just listen to the LOAF. Oh yhea LOAF would a reason for using energy weapons outside so a in a vacum you can still kick ass and secondly so you can kill a fighter or is it just cooler? PS lasers don't nessesarraly need lotsa of power just more specific and intense lenses to focus energy more efficently, disintergration is more likly to be caused by a pluse of energy reather than a beam and it propably hurts like hell since if would be like burning alive.

PSS is there any pics/fan art/sketches of any of the weapons????

[Edited by Dark Tower on 05-07-2001 at 15:07]

In spite of the name, we do not see any true lasers in Wing Commander. Lasers are coherent beams of light, you would not see the beam. More likely, we are looking at something much like the B5 PPGs, plasma projection guns.

Originally posted by Fenris
In spite of the name, we do not see any true lasers in Wing Commander. Lasers are coherent beams of light, you would not see the beam. More likely, we are looking at something much like the B5 PPGs, plasma projection guns.

That is correct, as all beam weapons are invisible in dust-free environments like space. It is therefore likely that we see plasma guns or guns that convert laser energy to mass...

What happened if there were particles in the beam though to increase damage then you would see the beam plus isn't a beam more solid than a laser???
Also if the light/energy was in a specific range of the electro magnetic spectrum than it would be visable, lasers aren't usally visable as they use x-rays, gamma rays, infer-red ect things with a fequency out side the visable spectrum. So lasers can have colour and if you send a coloured light bulb, lenses, tubing and tenure I'll show you how to cook some eggs or at least cook some bugs. ;)

Well LASER as a term is very loose.

Yes, lasers as we know them today simply spit out columnated light beams. Not something very exciting or viable as weaponry. The acronym LASER means simply:
  • Light
  • Amplification
    through
  • Stimulated
  • Emissions
    of
  • Radiation.

Nowhere in the definition of LASER does it state that a device such as those in WC are not lasers. All "LASER" means is "light-amplifier". So something such as the laser guns in WC, which fire bolts of excited photons, can qualify quite easily as a LASER.

[Edited by Frosty on 05-07-2001 at 16:53]

Actually PPG stands for Pulse Plaster Gun. And I believe that the weapons seen in WC4 are Photon Pistols/Guns (term rifle does not apply, can only apply to progectile weapons)

Wing Commander (usually) uses 'bolt' style lasers -- guns that shoot small bursts of light that have been enhanced to a point where they're capable of damage.

I think the major reason for using lasers in a vacuum (ie, on fighters and capships) is because they don't force you to take up space for munitions -- and they can be recharged easily (of course, an M-47 uses laser clips -- because a rifle can't generate energy like a capship engine...).

Depending on the wavelength or frequency of the laser, plus the collmination factor of the optics, and the power rating of the lasing, and the purity of the surrounding air or vacume, you may or may not see the beam. Ruby Argon lasers can produce visible beams at very high power ratings, typically around 40-80 watts using 100,000 candle power flash tubes. Cooling becomes even a greater factor since the ruby will not work efficiently when it is hot. Ancient Egyptians used rubys to sometimes cut rock, using the sun and lenses to focus the sunlight into a chamber where the ruby was placed. Inside were reflectors that bounced the sunlight in and out of the ruby, then as the lasing took effect, it would exit out the chamber and focused onto the rock or cutting surface. Many wonder how they got some of those art pieces cut so smoothly without modern cutting tools, well theres your answer. Lasers are not "modern" invention, but the way the lasing is produced compared to using simple optics and ruby crystals is "modern".

Future Horizons has an abundance of information on the history of ruby lasers and even some projects you can build yourself. Find out how they really work! Some of the devices shown at the site will be incorporated into the Project Centurion model.

http://www.futurehorizons.net

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 05-07-2001 at 18:40]

Originally posted by Sonntag
In WC 4, people are not disintegrated, but we only see Terran Weapons. I doubt that they would be allowed in the Geneva convention, I think it is a weapon that burns you from the inside.[/B]

As bad as it sounds, I think a disintegrating weapon would be more humane than being killed by a bullet/plasma bolt weapon. This makes the point about the Geneva convention invalid. You would probably be killed before the pain sets in! :(

Originally posted by redwolf
As bad as it sounds, I think a disintegrating weapon would be more humane than being killed by a bullet/plasma bolt weapon. This makes the point about the Geneva convention invalid. You would probably be killed before the pain sets in! :( [/B]

Maybe, maybe your brain is the last thing that is getting burned.

But I think that there is virtually no difference... In the WC Universe the Geneva convention is not hold anymore (the kilrathis don't respect it), so many of the weapons are unethical anyway.

I just doubt that disintegration weapons will be used so much, as they obviously have to consume a lot of energy

(lets say a Human weighs 100 kg, he consists of 70% water, body temperature is 36degrees celsius. It will take 4,18kJ * 100 kg * 64degrees = 26762 kJoule to get the body up at 100 degrees, then it takes more than 10 times as much to get the body to boil... that is very cynical and just a calculation, but it shows the huge amount of energy needed in a blast, if we consider that a deadly shot has a duration of 0,1 seconds, the burst should have a power of more than 1 GWatt)

That is quite a lot of energy needed just for one shot

Originally posted by Dark Tower
Doesw that me sh'll be packing heat??

Yikes!!!! ;)

Hehehe! Actually no, but the levitation disks may be used to help with *lift* if the model becomes a bit heavy with the "goodies" proposed. Combining both wing lift and the lift provided with the "levity disk" should make interesting results! The Project Centurion site will have more info posted later this week about the possibility of using some of these types of devices.

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns

Hehehe! Actually no, but the levitation disks may be used to help with *lift* if the model becomes a bit heavy with the "goodies" proposed. Combining both wing lift and the lift provided with the "levity disk" should make interesting results! The Project Centurion site will have more info posted later this week about the possibility of using some of these types of devices.

RFB [/B]
Nice website... is it really necessary to warn from using jet engines??? Could they sue you otherwise?

Sue for warning about the hazards with working with gas powered RC models? Im not shure what your asking here. I always tell newbies that want to work with gas engine RC models to be extremely carefull, they are powerfull enough to take off a finger or even a whole hand. I have witnessed the devistating effects of a 6 inch propeller spinning away and chopping off fingers and doing some serious damage, simply due to not paying attention to what they were doing! They got into a hurry to get the thing in the air and didnt watch what was going on. One guy ended up loosing 3 fingers.

RFB

Well, in X-Com, the lasers had unlimited ammo, which was nice. Of course, they couldn't compare to the Plasma weapons.

Originally posted by RFBurns
Sue for warning about the hazards with working with gas powered RC models? Im not shure what your asking here. I always tell newbies that want to work with gas engine RC models to be extremely carefull, they are powerfull enough to take off a finger or even a whole hand. I have witnessed the devistating effects of a 6 inch propeller spinning away and chopping off fingers and doing some serious damage, simply due to not paying attention to what they were doing! They got into a hurry to get the thing in the air and didnt watch what was going on. One guy ended up loosing 3 fingers.

RFB

When i start my planes engine i use a stick to start the propeller. once the bolt wasn't tight enough on my friends prop and it flew off and missed me by only half a foot. though it seemed closer to me. another time i saw a plane crash through sombodys winshield as they were getting ready to leave. RC is more dangerous than some imagine.

and the personal weapons in WC4 looked seemed more like suped up Tazers. i think i saw somthing attach to vagabonds chest where the lighting was. the blood coming out of the womans mouth could be a bit tounge.

That is so true $tormin! Those little single piston, 2 cycle engines have enough torque to do some real damage. A flying propeller can be deadly! You were lucky it missed you, as the momentum and spin rate of that thing very well could have punctured into you and done some serious damage, if not kill you!

At an RC rally a few years ago, a model of a P31 Mustang was flying along, just fine, doing loops and all kinds of neat tricks. Then all of a sudden, the plane lost radio contact with the operator, and the plane headed straight into a dive and right into the crowd. It crashed into a tarp covering a small group of spectators, and 3 of them suffered severe cuts, one requred over 400 stiches to the head and neck, the other 2 had some cuts which also requried a fair amount of stiches.

It can be a very dangerous hobby, but a fun one too if you take the proper saftey steps and use the "buddy" system. It can also be a very rewarding hobby as well. But too often I see some that just dont get it, and end up hurting themselves or someone else, or crashing their plane into someone's house or car!

RFB

it was my fault the prop came so close. i was checking my plane and thought the risk was negligable just like all the other times. experience is the best teacher, i will never make a mistake like that and my friend will never start his planes without checking the nut.

I too had a couple of "near miss" misshaps! It was during my early days of RC'n and I just simply flew too close to people with it, it was a helecopter and I was practicing hovers. Something distracted me and whoop!..the next thing I hear are screams! Fortunately I caught it in time just before the chopper was about to slice someones head in two! It only takes a fraction of a second to turn fun into disaster! I learned my lesson that day, keep your eyes on the craft at ALL times! Nevermind that pretty girl in the bakini eyeing you!

RFB

Back