Marines Weapons

NoRemorse

Rear Admiral
A question: Do Marines use bullet weapons or laser weapons in WC universe ? I mean, for instance on Repleetah, what did they use ? Because you can kill thousands of men with only one laser gun...

Originally posted by NoRemorse
A question: Do Marines use bullet weapons or laser weapons in WC universe ? I mean, for instance on Repleetah, what did they use ? Because you can kill thousands of men with only one laser gun...

I think they use Laser guns, at least in WC4 they do (Blair is executed by a Laser and Vagabound is killed by such a gun, too) But you cannot kill thousands of men with it, it is merely a modern M-16.

And what is the damage ? Is the soldier killed ? Only wounded ? (I remenber a sequence in WC1 in Firreka System - the soldiers are "desintegrated")

Because you can kill thousands of men with only one laser gun...

Probably not.

The amount of energy you'd need to feed into a laser to make it lethal to a human being probably will never be generated by anything small enough to carry in a gun.

And since you can't see a laser's beam, you can't tell if you're aiming properly or not. This is quite obvious to anyone who's ever done that little Buzz Lightyear ride in Disney World right outside Space Mountain. Everyone is shooting at these targets, and you can't tell which little red dot is who's, or if yours is even firing.

There's really no reason to replace slug-throwing technology with lasers.

The guns used in WC4 definitely hurl something. Probably some kind of plasma burst or something.

And what is the damage ? Is the soldier killed ? Only wounded ? (I remenber a sequence in WC1 in Firreka System - the soldiers are "desintegrated")

A laser would cut. And cut very precisely with no damage done to surrounding areas. So probably tons of minor burn wounds and a few really lethal ones.

In WC 4, people are not disintegrated, but we only see Terran Weapons. I doubt that they would be allowed in the Geneva convention, I think it is a weapon that burns you from the inside. In WC 4, people that are getting hit start to blood from the mouth, and then just fall down, so I think they work somehow like weapons today.

The kilrathi weapons do disintegrate their targets, also Blair in WC3 in the losing sequence disappears after being hit, he gets vapourised, and in WC 1 the same thing happenes (but not to everybody, in the first sequence, the scientists are just shot down, these weapons work like the terran weapons)

OK, OK, I think I will use non-disintegrating weapons in Battle Frenzy... that will be more interesting...

OK, OK, I think I will use non-disintegrating weapons in Battle Frenzy... that will be more interesting...

Do you prefer the non-disintegrating weapons? But the disintegrating ones are so cool! I like the idea of vaporizing a target!

Originally posted by Nebula

Do you prefer the non-disintegrating weapons? But the disintegrating ones are so cool! I like the idea of vaporizing a target! [/B]

Yes they are, especially if it takes a few seconds to be disintegrated...

Originally posted by Sonntag
Originally posted by Nebula

Do you prefer the non-disintegrating weapons? But the disintegrating ones are so cool! I like the idea of vaporizing a target!

Yes they are, especially if it takes a few seconds to be disintegrated... [/B]

Yeah! I think that hurts a lot!

Does anyone know HOW these lasers work, anyway? Lemme make a Star Trek comparison here (just for reference): In STIV, we see the imposter Kirk get disintegrated by a Klingon...disintegrator. Refresh my memory...do the Federation phasers work the same way? Which would, of course, be different from the lasers in Star Wars and other science fictionie shows?

I think the Marines use both energy-based and bullet-based weapons, including disintegrating weapons (see WC1).

As for disintegrating weapons, I don't think they could possibly hurt - your nerves are disintegrated at the same time as everything else :). Mind you, those fellas in WC3 did not sound too happy, but that was probably fear rather than pain.

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Does anyone know HOW these lasers work, anyway? Lemme make a Star Trek comparison here (just for reference): In STIV, we see the imposter Kirk get disintegrated by a Klingon...disintegrator. Refresh my memory...do the Federation phasers work the same way? Which would, of course, be different from the lasers in Star Wars and other science fictionie shows?

I don't know anything specific, but I think that in Star Wars and Wing Commander, these weapons are travelling much slower than the speed of light, so I would guess that the light is made slower and that the energy won by that process is used as the damage potential (that is a highly unscientific guess, but how would you else explain the low speed of the laser "projectiles"

There is definetly a difference between the star trek phasers (which fire continuously) and the star wars/wing commander lasers, which fire short bursts. But don't ask me about the science... :)

BTW, when is Kirk disintegrated in STIV??? cannot remember that.

Er...I meant STVI. Typo, typo!

Maybe if we make enough noise, Bandit LOAF will see us and apply his Godly Wing Commander Knowledge to the subject!

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Er...I meant STVI. Typo, typo!

Maybe if we make enough noise, Bandit LOAF will see us and apply his Godly Wing Commander Knowledge to the subject!
Oh now I remember, you mean IMAN on Rurar pente...

Yes maybe we'll get something to hear from Loaf...

We don't have specific information on how the lasers work -- just that they're much slower than actual light, and pack much more of a punch. :)

As for Marine weapons... there are a whole bunch. For shipboard work, Marines *generally* use bullet-based weaponry... for planetary stuff they have a variety of energy weapons, based on similar concepts as the fighter stuff -- lasers, neutron guns, mass-drivers... there *are* also guns which disintigrate a target -- they show up in WC1 in use by both the Terrans and the Kilrathi.

No, the shields will compensate for tiny holes -- but not so much large segments getting ripped apart by a neutron gun. <G>

Back