It's been some time since Aaron Thomas' awesome WC4 Homeworld 2 mod was last updated. L.I.F. was so impressed with the project that he decided to add a few features himself. Here's what's new:
This file is a modification to the already awesome Wing Commander IV mod to Homeworld 2 by Aaron Thomas, a.k.a. czacen. The weaponry of both strikecrafts and capships were tweaked to modify the gameplay as follows :
- Capships and fighters are now able to shoot at and destroy capmiss and torpedoes. In order to allow that, let the ship in offensive stance without a direct attack order (the turrets would then shoot at the targets and ignore the torps. Oh, and enemy fighters near the AAA seem to nastily busy the guns, allowing a clear path for the torpedoes.). It should give a new life to our beloved Southampton, Talahassee and Caernaven (the latter becoming more useful as a mobile AA battery).
- Fighter and bomber guns are no longer able to shoot at capship vessels (destroyers, cruisers, carriers and so on), limiting their target range at frigates, transports and strikecrafts. So, bombers and capships are the only weapons against capships : no Excalibur harrasment on your poor little Durango strike carrier (those phase shields are here for a reason)
I hope HW2 players will enjoy these new gameplay rules.
I'd like to give my thanks to Aaron Thomas and the CIC Staff, for their fantastic work for the community.
You can download this version of the mod here (145 MB). L.I.F. also provided installation instructions:
- Download the file from Confed #1 website (the CIC).
- Move the .rar file to the "Data" folder of your "Homeworld 2" folder.
- Right-click on your Homeworld 2 shortcut and add at the end of the "target" field :
- Launch the game through this new shortcut.
Spoony Streams Space Sims: WC3
Popular video blogger Spoony recently dedicated his live stream gaming show to Wing Commander 3. He's dabbled in Wing Commander stuff over the years, so it's interesting to see his take here. Perhaps even more interesting are the live reactions from the audience. (2018-09-22)
A Glimpse of Old New Constantinople
Found a nugget tonight: an tiny uncatalogued Privateer pre-release screenshot in a 1993 Mindscape catalog! An earlier version of the New Constantinople landing pad. (2018-09-21)
Wing Commander Meme of the Day: Alignment Chart
This is pretty good... (2018-09-20)
Wing Commander Art Portfolio Campaign Announced
Video game artist Mike Winterbauer has shown off the first images of his latest project, a Wing Commander Art Portfolio! Mr. Winterbauer was the person commissioned in 1992 to hand paint the box art for the SNES version of Wing Commander, among many other cool contemporary pieces. (2018-09-19)
Intrepid Enters Spacedock
Spacedock has profiled another Wing Commander vessel! The BWS Intrepid is the star this episode of "Sci-Fi Ships You've Never Heard Of." Daniel, the author, has a huge soft spot for the WC series, and he's especially fond of this one. (2018-09-18)