It's been some time since Aaron Thomas' awesome WC4 Homeworld 2 mod was last updated. L.I.F. was so impressed with the project that he decided to add a few features himself. Here's what's new:
This file is a modification to the already awesome Wing Commander IV mod to Homeworld 2 by Aaron Thomas, a.k.a. czacen. The weaponry of both strikecrafts and capships were tweaked to modify the gameplay as follows :
- Capships and fighters are now able to shoot at and destroy capmiss and torpedoes. In order to allow that, let the ship in offensive stance without a direct attack order (the turrets would then shoot at the targets and ignore the torps. Oh, and enemy fighters near the AAA seem to nastily busy the guns, allowing a clear path for the torpedoes.). It should give a new life to our beloved Southampton, Talahassee and Caernaven (the latter becoming more useful as a mobile AA battery).
- Fighter and bomber guns are no longer able to shoot at capship vessels (destroyers, cruisers, carriers and so on), limiting their target range at frigates, transports and strikecrafts. So, bombers and capships are the only weapons against capships : no Excalibur harrasment on your poor little Durango strike carrier (those phase shields are here for a reason)
I hope HW2 players will enjoy these new gameplay rules.
I'd like to give my thanks to Aaron Thomas and the CIC Staff, for their fantastic work for the community.
You can download this version of the mod here (145 MB). L.I.F. also provided installation instructions:
- Download the file from Confed #1 website (the CIC).
- Move the .rar file to the "Data" folder of your "Homeworld 2" folder.
- Right-click on your Homeworld 2 shortcut and add at the end of the "target" field :
- Launch the game through this new shortcut.
The 3-D Space Combat Strategizer
Pix and Dennis Mull have both recently found an interesting compilation by Empire Interactive. The set bundles together Wing Commander, Civilization, War in the Gulf and Frontier: Elite II all in one pack. Two of them are space sims, plus there's a tank sim and a classic turn-based 4X - not unlike hundreds of various '90s packs. (2019-01-21)
Annual Community Vote Begins!
With 2018 now well in the rear view mirror and 2019 well on its way, it's time for us to jump into our annual fan project contest. We took nominations over the last couple months and have come up with this list of noteworthy endeavors to recognize. Of course, the standard disclaimer applies: this is by no means an exhaustive list of super cool things that Wingnuts have been up to lately. (2019-01-20)
Denis Loubet Remembers Aaron Allston
Former Origin artist Denis Loubet has completed another portrait. This one is a tribute to his friend and fellow Wing Commander veteran Aaron Allston. Sadly, Mr. (2019-01-19)
Chinese Secret Missions Now a Little Less Secret
Christian Klein posted these neat pics of the Secret Missions made for China/Taiwan. We've previously posted about a number of Chinese ports in the past, including WC1, SM2, WC2 and the Special Operations, but it's possible that I've not seen the SM1 before. It's nice to close the loop on that! (2019-01-18)
Wing Commander Jazz Album Discs Ready to Ship!
There's good news on George Oldziey's live Wing Commander jazz album. The production copies have finally come back, so George is ready to ship discs out to project backers. Very coolalbum art was created by SabreAce, which you can see below. (2019-01-17)