This is the Star*Soldier gloss for the first Port Broughton page:
CONCEPT: This was another late addition, which basically came about when I realized this would probably be my only chance ever to write prose set in the Wing Commander universe. It's supposed to give a little more life to the much-abused Midway map. It's patterned after the 'Interview with a Frontiersman' article in the Privateer manual.
- "Chandra Karr" - The same person who wrote the already-mentioned Privateer article.
- The screenshot is from Wing Commander Prophecy; presumably all Midway-class ships have similar bars. I ended up labeling it as being from the Midway, though, lest anyone complain that they could spot Hawk.
- "towers and habipods" - Yet another explanation for the extra modules on the Port Broughton.
- "massive plate... bank of terminals" - I'm describing the bridge of a Midway based on the exterior; there was no whole bridge set in Wing Commander Prophecy.
- "commissioning pennant" - We first see a comissioning pennant on a ship in the Wing Commander universe in Fleet Action, aboard the Tarawa.
- "Commodore Strevell" - References the earlier background article about the ship's history.
- "erected weekly" - ... because the ship is magically repaired when you restart the map!
- "turbolift" - Do turbolifts exist outside of Star Trek?
- The obnoxious 'text captures' are straight out of Readers Digest.